Tony Pauline: Jets Want La’el + Pick for Adams

RS12

Reaction score
I wouldnt trade a quality O Lineman on a good contract for a safety and I am an Adams fan. Second hardest position to find after QB is quality O Lineman.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Just stop. He is a good tackle and the contract is definitely a good one. But he isn't more valuable than an all pro SS that is one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Adams would anchor the back end of our defense for the next 5-8 years. It would solve our biggest need and biggest weakness. He is 24 years old.

If we could trade straight up Adams for Collins, it would be great. And yes, I would miss Collins. But not that much.

We are overloaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball. If Dak, those 3 WR's and Zeke cant overcome the loss of Collins then need to give the money back.

Trading Collins for Adams is a net negative imo when you factor the contract and positional value.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Trading Collins for Adams is a net negative imo when you factor the contract and positional value.

Adams is getting 6 million this year and 8 million next year. That takes care of half your argument.

I cant say a RT is more valuable. Especially when we have possible young replacements on the roster.

The fact that Adams is an all pro and is our biggest weaknesses trumps everything.

Then of course you have the fact that Adams is 24 and Collins is 27.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wouldnt trade a quality O Lineman on a good contract for a safety and I am an Adams fan. Second hardest position to find after QB is quality O Lineman.

RT is behind LT and center on the line of importance and these guys aren't hard to find. All pro safeties are hard to find.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Adams is getting 6 million this year and 8 million next year. That takes care of half your argument.

I cant say a RT is more valuable. Especially when we have possible young replacements on the roster.

The fact that Adams is an all pro and is our biggest weaknesses trumps everything.

Adams costs less now but will be looking for a $15 million+ deal. Collins is signed through 2024 and won't cost $15 million at any point in that stretch. We'll just have to agree to disagree on positional value. I also don't think safety is our biggest weakness. Clinton-Dix is an upgrade. Our biggest weakness is RDE, and then possibly corner.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Adams costs less now but will be looking for a $15 million+ deal. Collins is signed through 2024 and won't cost $15 million at any point in that stretch. We'll just have to agree to disagree on positional value. I also don't think safety is our biggest weakness. Clinton-Dix is an upgrade. Our biggest weakness is RDE, and then possibly corner.

He will get 15 million I agree because he is worth 15 million. You have to pay the all pro's. Collins could be replaced by one of our last two 3rd rounders or in FA next year.

Dixon is on a one year deal. Woods is a FA next year.

Williams and McGovern can both play RT.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
He will get 15 million I agree because he is worth 15 million. You have to pay the all pro's. Collins could be replaced by one of our last two 3rd rounders or in FA next year.

Dixon is on a one year deal. Woods is a FA next year.

Williams and McGovern can both play RT.

You could put them out there but they certainly won't play as well as Collins. Mcgovern is a guard/center imo. I don't think he belongs at tackle. Williams could possibly be a solid tackle but doubtful he could be as good as Collins. On top of that even if Williams did play as well as Collins after next season he would be in line for a contract greater than what Collins is already signed for through 2024.

I think the far better solution is go with X Woods and Clinton-Dix this season, and then draft a safety next year. I'd much rather do that than add even more uncertainty to the oline. We already have to figure out left guard and center, and Tyron Smith is on borrowed time imo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You could put them out there but they certainly won't play as well as Collins. Mcgovern is a guard/center imo. I don't think he belongs at tackle. Williams could possibly be a solid tackle but doubtful he could be as good as Collins. On top of that even if Williams did play as well as Collins after next season he would be in line for a contract greater than what Collins is already signed for through 2024.

I think the far better solution is go with X Woods and Clinton-Dix this season, and then draft a safety next year. I'd much rather do that than add even more uncertainty to the oline. We already have to figure out left guard and center, and Tyron Smith is on borrowed time imo.

If you are so concerned about the RT position AND Williams or McGovern don't work out then use the first pick on a tackle next year. You aren't finding an all pro safety late in the first round.

Any way you slice it, replacing a good RT is easier to do than find the best SS in the NFL.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Laughable....fo sho jets would love that trade. Me thinks some on here like the leaf. Hear quality is off tha charts....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If you are so concerned about the RT position AND Williams or McGovern don't work out then use the first pick on a tackle next year. You aren't finding an all pro safety late in the first round.

Any way you slice it, replacing a good RT is easier to do than find the best SS in the NFL.

That's fair but top tackle play is worth more than top safety play, which is why the top of the tackle market makes more than the top of the safety market. Doesn't make sense to try to fix one hole by making an even bigger hole elsewhere.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Man, he is a freakin SS. He can tackle. we get it. He won't make our D the '84 Bears.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
williams, mcgovern, biadasz, and knight give me hope the fo has done a good job loading up the o-line for the future. also looney. but it's been forever since we had a safety that really dominated.
They give me hope as well, but they also give me concern because we haven't yet even seen McGovern and Biadasz at all, have barely caught a glimpse of Knight, and are still a unsure of what we have with Williams.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's fair but top tackle play is worth more than top safety play, which is why the top of the tackle market makes more than the top of the safety market. Doesn't make sense to try to fix one hole by making an even bigger hole elsewhere.

I guess you don't know the difference between the value of a RT vs a LT because you keep just saying tackle.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I guess you don't know the difference between the value of a RT vs a LT because you keep just saying tackle.

LT is more important than RT but I think La'el could be effective at LT as well. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but we don't know how long Tyron Smith will last.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LT is more important than RT but I think La'el could be effective at LT as well. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but we don't know how long Tyron Smith will last.

Collins has had one good year the way I see it. I see no way Collins can play LT and do it at a pro bowl type level. Now moving Martin over the LT, that's what I would do.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
To get Adams would cost so much in draft capital that it just wouldn't make sense.

We can't put ourselves deeper into cap hell than we are already headed. Roll with what we have and hope Wilson develops into the player we saw in preseason last year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Adams is already protesting his current contract.

A team can't trade for him and assume that he'll be fine playing out the current contract even if he or his agent claim they'll be OK with it.'

There would have to be a modified contract which really means new contract that makes it prohibitive for him to hold out.

That would mean part of the 6M and 8M salaries would need to be bonuses that he only receive if he played then entire season without holding out.

That would be a step down contract for a player that wants a huge step up contract. It's almost impossible that he or his agent would actually agree to it.