Tony Pollard = Alvin Harper

kskboys

Reaction score
Harper was an average WR during the season. A few good games, a lot of average games, and some games he disappeared. However in the playoffs he turned on and was usually a major contributor. Not enough information on Pollard in post season games, but in the regular season I think he has been a better player, but with limited opportunities.
I'd say more along the lines of Alvin had some key catches in the playoffs. At 2.4 catches/game and 4 TD's in 10 games, he wasn't prolific.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gallup = Harper

Looks like not a lot of people don't want to think about it, but Gallup is another classic WR#1 mirage who puts up numbers because he's the 3rd or 4th threat on the field.

Harper was probably the better big play WR#2, while Gallup the more credible WR#1, but still, neither is a WR#1 you can be happy with if you want to win games. Neither is a guy a defense will feel the need to double.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I cannot put Zeke in the same story as Irvin.
Mike showed up every game, every season.
I like to see Pollard as the feature back before deciding he cant do it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember what Alvin harper was to Michael Irvin. A great complimentary WR.
But once he left to be a #1 Wr, I think he went too TB. He could not be the #1 guy.
Now maybe they did not have the surrounding team as Michael had. But he was still productive after Harper left. Harper was not.

This is what I see in Pollard. Very good combo of he and Zeke. And a great tandem when things are working and the OL is blocking.
But I see him to Zeke as Harper was to Irvin.
If Pollard leaves after his deal is up. He may not be able to handle a full time RB position.
He has already shown he can't do it here, not yet anyway. I hope he can, as we need both Tony and Zeke, that is the role he is best at.
I will not say he can't do it elsewhere, as we never will know until we see it, or not see it. But my feeling is, he would not.

I still love the idea of the dual threat, when things are going correctly.
However, Moore needs to get his head out of his butt. Because both of them, and these run up the middle for minimal gain is not working. Come on boy genius, be creative without tricks or gimmicks or being too cute with plays.

Harper needed a Jimmy type Head Coach.
- He had attention deficit type issues and he gained a huge amount of weight when he departed the Cowboys.

Pollard is the opposite. He is a studious type player and more focused than Zeke.
- Most teams in the modern era use 2 or 3 RBs. The Emmitt types that play near 100% of snaps are rare now.
- Pollard can be Aaron Jones in Green Bay.
- Aaron Jones is probably my favorite non-Cowboys player.
- He just find a way to gain yards running inside or outside and he is not big (5-9, 205).

Now the Packers have RB AJ Dillon (6-0, 250) that is an absolute hammer.

Pollard will go to another team and be the starter.
- That team will just need to pair him with a low-cost battering ram type RB.

Normally the big play RB is the starter and the high paid guy and the battering ram is a low cost backup.
- In Dallas it is now the opposite.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I cannot put Zeke in the same story as Irvin.
Mike showed up every game, every season.
I like to see Pollard as the feature back before deciding he cant do it.

Agree. Mike Irvin was 'All In' as a player. He approached winning as a life or death type situation.