Tony Pollard = Alvin Harper

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Comparing Pollard with Alvin Harper is a ridiculous comparison. Pollard is comparable to Felix Jones and Joseph Randle. Both Jones and Randle were excellent complementary backs with burst and quickness who could pop big runs and some fans thought they could put up 1200 to 1500 yards a season as every down backs. Neither were consistent carrying the load.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The mental hoola hoops people will go through to defend a older beat up tail back who hasn’t produced outside of a few games in 2 seasons vs a younger guy with fresh legs who actually produces is unbelievable.

The RB position is not that complicated. A lot of you are just being fans and cant separate being a fan from the product on the field.

Watching all of you eeew and ah over the Patriots running game the other night was pretty funny. The sky would be falling for some of you if we had to play Damien Harris or Rhamondre Stevenson because you’ve been so conditioned to think the RB position is a position of great importance.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comparing Pollard with Alvin Harper is a ridiculous comparison. Pollard is comparable to Felix Jones and Joseph Randle.

That was not the point.
The comparison is how 2 players compliment each other, not comparing the same positions.
Then one leaves and does not have the same success or can't carry the #1 load.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mental hoola hoops people will go through to defend a older beat up tail back who hasn’t produced outside of a few games in 2 seasons vs a younger guy with fresh legs who actually produces is unbelievable.

The RB position is not that complicated. A lot of you are just being fans and cant separate being a fan from the product on the field.

That was not the point at all. But go ahead and do your usual and take over threads with your agenda.

Reactions: G2

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The back up RB.

Should he be the backup is the question? Those that watch the games every week see Pollard as the more skilled, dangerous back. Pollard does more with the ball in his hands in both the run and passing game.

At the very least they should go with the hot hand each game. But sadly we have a team where Jerry makes these kind of decisions based on how much he pays a RB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That was not the point.
The comparison is how 2 players compliment each other, not comparing the same positions.
Then one leaves and does not have the same success or can't carry the #1 load.

The post was long I responded to the title of the thread.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So you did not read the post, as it was too long for you :rolleyes:. But felt you needed to comment anyway. :facepalm:

The thread title said enough Pollard=Alvin Harper. I didn’t agree. One is a RB and the other was a WR. All number two wide receivers complement the number one receiver. Zeke’s production doesn’t compare to Michael Irvin’s.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Remember what Alvin harper was to Michael Irvin. A great complimentary WR.
But once he left to be a #1 Wr, I think he went too TB. He could not be the #1 guy.
Now maybe they did not have the surrounding team as Michael had. But he was still productive after Harper left. Harper was not.

This is what I see in Pollard. Very good combo of he and Zeke. And a great tandem when things are working and the OL is blocking.
But I see him to Zeke as Harper was to Irvin.
If Pollard leaves after his deal is up. He may not be able to handle a full time RB position.
He has already shown he can't do it here, not yet anyway. I hope he can, as we need both Tony and Zeke, that is the role he is best at.
I will not say he can't do it elsewhere, as we never will know until we see it, or not see it. But my feeling is, he would not.

I still love the idea of the dual threat, when things are going correctly.
However, Moore needs to get his head out of his butt. Because both of them, and these run up the middle for minimal gain is not working. Come on boy genius, be creative without tricks or gimmicks or being too cute with plays.
I like the comparison but I disagree with you. I'm pretty sure Pollard would do just fine on a different roster without Zeke.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Should he be the backup is the question? Those that watch the games every week see Pollard as the more skilled, dangerous back. Pollard does more with the ball in his hands in both the run and passing game.

At the very least they should go with the hot hand each game. But sadly we have a team where Jerry makes these kind of decisions based on how much he pays a RB.
Well, since the staff has Elliott starting I guess there's your answer. I'm not into conspiracy theories so the best player starts. You're way off on Jerry choosing starters. This isn't about salary.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So you did not read the post, as it was too long for you :rolleyes:. But felt you needed to comment anyway. :facepalm:

Michael Irvin’s production dwarfed Alvin Harper’s production. Zeke has only rushed for about 60 yards more than Pollard. You have some fans and even a few in the media who are saying Pollard is better than Zeke. No one ever said Alvin Harper was better than Michael Irvin. Fans weren’t clamoring for Alvin Harper to be our number one receiver. The comparison you made doesn’t make any sense.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, since the staff has Elliott starting I guess there's your answer. I'm not into conspiracy theories so the best player starts. You're way off on Jerry choosing starters. This isn't about salary.

jerry is definitely influencing starting zeke. Coaches see what we see.

shabazz

Reaction score
I just think RBs are not that hard to find in the draft.

It took NFl teams decades to figure that out and they went a couple years without taking one in the first round and then Gurly went in the 1st round and the craziness started again.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
jerry is definitely influencing starting zeke. Coaches see what we see.
If Pollard was better, he would be starting and I would be all for it. I couldn't care less. But this notion that Elliott is only starting because of the salary is based on zero evidence. There's more to argue that point.

RaZon

Reaction score
Alvin Harper did have one season where he averaged over 24 yards a reception which is fantastic but other than that he wasn't all that would hope Pollard makes more of an impact,

7-2 college high jumper

football-super-bowl-xxvii-dallas-cowboys-alvin-harper-victorious-picture-id81394155

Last edited:

DenCWBY

Reaction score
#20 currently the best offensive and special teams player on the team.

RaZon

Reaction score
John Riggins BOOM, Joe Washigton ZOOM Washington Football Team
Rick Casares BOOM, Willie Galimore ZOOM Bears
Larry Csonka BOOM, Mercury Morris ZOOM Dolpjhins
Jim Otis BOOM, Terry Metcalf ZOOM St.Louis Cards
Matt Snell BOOM, Emerson Boozer ZOOM Jets
Curtis McClinton BOOM, Abner Haynes ZOOM Chiefs
Tank Younger BOOM, Deacon Dan Towler BOOM, Dick Hoerner BOOM Rams.....Bull Elephant nickname

quickccc

Reaction score
No doubt that Jimmy was one of our all-time biggest blunders.

Due to consecutive injuries and an in-place depth chart, he never had a chance to show what he had.
Pollard has had ample opportunity to show his stuff and has done well with those chances.

In the end though:
Jimmy Smith

Harper
Pollard

Pollard does have room to move up though

KC Chiefs CB Chavarous Ward is somewhere further down the line on that "Missed out " list too.
I'd much rather have had him than Anthony Brown, but we tried to sneak Ward to our PS, or some NFL pouched him off our PS,
But he's been a terrific starter for Chiefs, rarely do i see him getting beat deep.