Tony Pollard missing from the passing game

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Austin brings almost nothing to the table. One trick ponies only have the one trick. Pollard has a bunch more versatility. Also ever notice that Austin seems to run out of bounds each and every time unless he is just plain wide open away from a defender. Pollard can make folks miss and he also has some power. Yep, Sean Payton would have this guy doing stuff all over the field. Seems to me the ghost of Linehan is in Kellen's brain for some ungodly reason.
I'm guessing you didn't see Austin break Scandrick's ankles a couple of weeks ago?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not defending his statement, but that is not close to what he said. I know you read it, but I am positive you did not comprehend one single word.

Its a direct question. Seems the comprehension failure is the two of you.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Sorry if he's your pet cat player. He's not going to get more touches though.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Don’t underestimate Jerry’s role in all this. I heard him a few years ago on that ridiculous radio show he does saying something about, “We play who we pay”, and “if we’re paying big money to a guy, he’s gonna get big playing time.”

If he means what he says, I believe Jerry dictates playing time for certain players. Zeke is now the highest paid RB in the league, so Jerry tells Garrett he expects to see that money being spent on the field.
that is exactly what I think happens,that is why I have said pollards role changed when ewok got his big contract.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
First of all. Ezekiel Elliott takes himself out of the game more times than I'm comfortable with. I don't know why they're not using the rookie. As often as I think they should I don't care about rushing records I care about winning football games. I thought they would use Elliott more in the red zone book. Split The Running methodically getting the ball downfield. I still don't think this offense of coordinator found any kind of consistent game plan
the jones boys probably tell JG and or kellen they want to see more of elliot, which means less pollard.
Pollard was supposed to be like dunbar and used in passing plays, but so far we have seen none of that,and also
I thought he was supposed to be a punt returner, but none of that either that I recall.
Seems like they use a variety of players to field punts.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
How many times have we seen Pollard and Zeke in the backfield at the same time? Very few. Par for the course with Garrett. Why try something new when you can trot out the same plays from 10 years ago? Don't want to try to confuse opposing defenses.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One or two ankle brakes a year ain't much. BTW, wasn't Scandrick released the next day?
How many opportunities has he had? Either way, your point was that he can't make anyone miss, but that TD was pretty impressive.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
It's not like they had all camp to practice the 2 back set. To practice and get the 2 back set down....you need 2 backs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pollard had 4 receptions through the first 3 games of the season but hasn't been targeted in the passing game since then.

With Zeke obviously being the work horse back in this running game I really thought that Pollard would
have room to expand his role in this Kellen Moore scheme in a "Moore" receiving option out of the back field, motioned wide, different look on short curls and screens, etc, all that good Ole Boise state wide open creativity.

After seeing 4 targets through the first 3 games it seems as though the page has been removed from that part of the play book, but Im hoping that Kellen took the time to re visit the potential that Pollard brings in that limited role during this bye week time.

Pollard has an extremely high ceiling, and I realize the kid is a rookie, but he has done nothing but positive every time that he has been given an opportunity.

Its a long season and I want to see Zeke healthy and running strong still in December, and nobody is making a claim that Pollard even needs to carve out a 50 percent role, but Pollard can help keep Zeke fresh a bit, and is deserving of an expanded role.

I'd say the same for Austin, Olawale, even Cobb. They get run/receiving threats to complement Zeke, but barely use them as such. Cobb at least is an all around threat, but I don't see the purpose of Olawale, Austin, and Pollard if not to use them as complementary run threats to Zeke who have the speed to go deep too, which also complements Zeke.

Olawale has 0 rushes, and 1 deep target where he had his guy beat but Dak didn't have the time to get an accurate ball there.
Austin has averaged 10 yards per rush since he got here. Never a negative yards play. But they've only given him 9 carries.

One of my biggest annoyances with the offensive coaching staff is how "we do what we do" and refuse to "do what works" even when it's staring us in the face.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd say the same for Austin, Olawale, even Cobb. They get run/receiving threats to complement Zeke, but barely use them as such. Cobb at least is an all around threat, but I don't see the purpose of Olawale, Austin, and Pollard if not to use them as complementary run threats to Zeke who have the speed to go deep too, which also complements Zeke.

Olawale has 0 rushes, and 1 deep target where he had his guy beat but Dak didn't have the time to get an accurate ball there.
Austin has averaged 10 yards per rush since he got here. Never a negative yards play. But they've only given him 9 carries.

One of my biggest annoyances with the offensive coaching staff is how "we do what we do" and refuse to "do what works" even when it's staring us in the face.
Maybe they feel it only works because they don't do it very often, so the defenses aren't expecting it.....Oh, those tricky coaches!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's not like they had all camp to practice the 2 back set. To practice and get the 2 back set down....you need 2 backs.

Pollard should be able to run Austin's plays. Better runner, not as good WR but still plenty speed to beat defenses deep.

Pollard may be a tougher matchup, as Pollard is a grown up size RB who you might want to have a LB on the field for, but then you're in trouble is he goes deep. Austin you're just putting a DB on.

Austin/Pollard/Olawale are all variations on the same theme. Complementary run threats to Zeke with the speed and hands to hurt a team deep.