Tony Romo – MVP Season?

Tricked

Fascinated
Reaction score
Here we are, heading into week 11. Everyone in the league has seen the play making abilities displayed by Romo on the field, and so the question is asked: is Tony Romo a candidate for MVP this year?

A lot will argue that Tom Brady is hands down the MVP for this season. Some will say that Randy Moss could be a potential candidate. My question would be why? Brady is having a magnificent season, there's no taking anything away from his accomplishments, but I would argue that many other passers could stand behind that offensive line and throw the ball to that group of receivers in New England and have success. Wow - look at that, Brady just threw up another pass into triple coverage for Moss and he came down with it! Those are plays by Moss showing off his freakish abilities which would lead me to believe that he is more important to Brady's success than Brady himself.

Who else could be potential candidates for MVP? LaDanian Tomlinson with his Chargers leading their division with a record of 5-4? Tomlinson had a magical season last year, but unfortunately his chargers coaching staff was decimated by the offseason, and they are playing no where near the level they did last year. Peyton Manning has his Colts at 7-2, but Manning's production has dropped significantly without receiver Marvin Harrison.

It's 3rd down and 3 in the 2nd quarter with 56 seconds left to play in the half. Andre Gurode snaps the ball, way over the head of Romo. Romo runs back after the ball trying to get a grasp on it, which with each bounce taking a different turn. Romo finally gets his hands on the ball after the ball bounced 35 yards. With 2 defensive ends charging towards him, Romo starts running and trying to evade the defenders. After making them miss, Romo makes another St Louis defender miss, and sprints towards the line of scrimmage, while keeping his eyes down field looking for someone, anyone to get open. Seeing the running lane he has, he tucks the ball away and runs for the first down marker. It's a foot race between him and a defender coming head on, but the defender was no match for Romo. Romo makes it to the first down marker and gets out of bounds to stop the clock.

Lets rewind a bit – I'm betting that seventy percent of other Qbs in the league will see that ball go fly over their head and struggle just to dive on the ball, taking the huge loss. 20 percent of the remaining Qbs that attempt to pickup the ball get hit by the defenders, either fumbling or taking a huge loss. There are only two other Qbs I could see having a chance at making this play would be Michael Vick, who threw away the gift that he had for some jail time. The other QB would be Vince Young.

That was just one of the many great plays that Romo has had in his short but exciting career as the Dallas Cowboys quarterback. Tony Romos very presence on the football field energizes his teammates, making them always believe that no matter what happens, if Romo has the ball in his hands, their team has a chance to win.

I know it's still early in the season to think this, but it's a serious thought. This is an Essay topic (it's a persuasive essay :) ) that I have chosen for my college English course. Don't hate, participate! :D

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Is Romo having an MVP-caliber season? Yes.

Will he win? Heck no.

Brady is playing out of this world. Regardless of the weapons on his team, he is setting records right and left, and will most likely blow away Manning's TD record for a season. It's not even a competition this year, imo.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Moss will garner lot of votes

Favre will get some votes

Romo will get some votes

But if If Brady stays healthy, I don't see how anyone other than him will win MVP.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Addition - Being that it's for an English class, you could compare Romo to Brady, mentioning their rise to NFL prominence. Brady a 6th round pick, Romo undrafted. Both supplanted Bledsoe for the starting job. Both started in the NFL under Parcells or had close ties to him. Etc...

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I agree with the others on here. Romo is definitely having an MVP season. However, he won't win it considering Brady is having the best season a QB has ever had. Like someone else said, if Brady stays healthy and continues to play at a high level, it's a done deal. Even if he were to get injured or play poorly down the stretch, Farve would get it over Romo just because he's such a media darling.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would love to see Romo get it but chances are he will not. He is clearly the MVP for the Cowboys and that matters more to me.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1769443 said:
I agree with the others on here. Romo is definitely having an MVP season. However, he won't win it considering Brady is having the best season a QB has ever had. Like someone else said, if Brady stays healthy and continues to play at a high level, it's a done deal. Even if he were to get injured or play poorly down the stretch, Farve would get it over Romo just because he's such a media darling.

That's a good point. Right now the standings are probably:

Brady
Favre
Moss
Romo
Big Ben

MagicMan

Reaction score
I don't really care about MVP for the season.....think about it, does A-Rod find comfort in it or would he give up his right one for MVP in a World Series with a WS ring?

It's all about the championship....if Romo wins MVP in the Super Bowl, I am sure he will be satisfied with that. That, and of course, a babe...:cool:

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1769448 said:
That's a good point. Right now the standings are probably:

Brady
Favre
Moss
Romo
Big Ben

I agree that Brady will win it hands down. He is having an unbelievable year and will probably shatter all of Mannings TD records. I do think that Favre is having a better season than Romo only because if you take Favre out of the lineup, the Packers probably would not win 5 games. He is a media darling but this year he does deserve the kudos. No running game to speak of, no-name WRs, a TE off the scrap heap and an offensive line that pass blocks great but run blocks worse than any team in the league. At least Romo has a great RB, great line, and one of the best WRs in the game.

Take Romo and put him in Green Bays offense. Would the Packers be at 8 wins. I doubt it. Put Favre in Dallas lineup, would Dallas still be at 8 wins, I would say yes.....

Romo deserves metion and will probably finish 3rd or 4th in the voting.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
If Romo wins the Superbowl MVP then Brady can HAVE THE regular season MVP.

That is the ONLY MVP I am concerned with.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
favre is gonna win the MVP this year, there is no way anyone ever sniffs it unless favre starts sucking it up.

for the record I think Brady's receivers are having a far better year than brady is.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Moss is not going to end up with many MVP votes...he is having a great season because of Brady, not vice versa

ask the Pats who they'd rather play a game without

if things keep going as they have, Brady-Romo-Favre will get almost all, if not all of the votes

David

MCowboys

Reaction score
stealth;1769585 said:
favre is gonna win the MVP this year, there is no way anyone ever sniffs it unless favre starts sucking it up.

for the record I think Brady's receivers are having a far better year than brady is.

Wait, isn't Brady on pace to have the greatest statistical season ever for a QB? I'm pretty sure 60 TDs and an 130 QB rating would probably be good enough for MVP.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stealth;1769585 said:

I dont...look at their past few seasons...none of those guys were anything special before this yr

David

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MCowboys;1769602 said:
Wait, isn't Brady on pace to have the greatest statistical season ever for a QB? I'm pretty sure 60 TDs and an 130 QB rating would probably be good enough for MVP.

I agree. Brady is putting up numbers that have never been seen before unless his play drops off a lot he walks away with the MVP.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
dbair1967;1769603 said:
I dont...look at their past few seasons...none of those guys were anything special before this yr

David
Moss did have some great years at Minnesota. It take two to tango and WR will make QB look good and visa versa. And because of that, I think Moss will garner lot of votes but nowhere near Brady because Brady is on track to set number of passer stats.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1769603 said:

David

The recievers are playing very very well this year for Brady or for Belicheck or who ever. Half the crap Randy moss catches should be an interception or at least a deflection. Brady throws a three yard pass to stallworth and he runs 60 yards, is that on brady or on stallworth?
The receivers playing so well are pumping up brady's stats, Hell I just saw an interview on NFLN where Brady says he played better last year than this one.

kevin11

Reaction score
Romo is playing well enough to get a some votes for MVP.

Brady or depending on what Moss stats are will be alot closer.

Just like for college football, the best player on the best Team will get the MVP award.

Romo/Farve/Peterson are MVP of the NFC:mad: =pisses me of to say this.

If peterson didn't get hurt, w

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
The reason why the Patriots went from a good team to a great team is because of Randy Moss.

Randy Moss should be kneck and kneck with Tom Brady in the MVP Race. Tom Brady never put up numbers like this before Randy Moss arrived in Foxboro.

There is no question that if you take Randy Moss off of the Patriots they are still a good team as oppose to a great one. Conversely, if you took Tom Brady off of the Patriots they would be a below average team.

I understand the aforementioned argument but at the end of the day Tom Brady is an MVP candidate because of the numbers he is putting up not because they are winning and could go undefeated. As I stated earlier, Brady never put those type of numbers up and Randy Moss is the reason why he is.

Tom Brady = MVP
Randy Moss = MVP

The league should consider giving both those guys the award.