Twitter: Tony Romo #71 and Tyron Smith #78 on the NFLN Top 100

Doomsday101

Reaction score
QBs can also do more things to win a game than any other position

Yes but for that to happen it takes the blockers up front, it takes the WR making the play on the other end. For a play to be successful it is never 1 guy it took a lot of guys executing to make it happen. Where a QB can kill you is in the face of pressure what does he do but again I have never seen a QB single handily win any game. I always loved seeing Montana great QB but vs Dallas The Catch as they call it takes place not just because Montana put it up to the back of the end zone it also happens because Dwight Clark makes an outstanding catch and keeps both feet in, in the process. Jimmy Johnson once said it is not how many big plays a team makes it is the team that makes the fewest mistakes that wins.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Football is about team always has and always will. Has Romo made poor throws? Yes, please show me a QB who hasn't.

He has a 1-7 record in win or go home/playoff games. I'm sorry, but he played a role in that record. It's not everyone else's fault. All I'm saying is he has played a role in this team not being successful as well. He isn't some elite QB who is amazing and everyone around him sucks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He has a 1-7 record in win or go home/playoff games. I'm sorry, but he played a role in that record. It's not everyone else's fault. All I'm saying is he has played a role in this team not being successful as well. He isn't some elite QB who is amazing and everyone around him sucks.

In some he has and others it has not been on him. You bring up the skins game and I agreed he made a big mistake and cost the team but over the course of time many have made critical mistakes that have cost us not Romo alone. It is a waste of time discussing it with you since in your mind it is all the QB no one else plays a role in wins and loses it all falls to the QB. I know football is the ultimate team sports. You can show me any winning team and I can point to a lot of guys on that team that helped make it happen no one does it alone win or lose.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
It is a waste of time discussing it with you since in your mind it is all the QB no one else plays a role in wins and loses it all falls to the QB.

You keep saying things that I have never said Doomsday101, why do you keep making things up? I have never said that before. Again, for the millionth time, it is not all on Romo.. but he is not blameless and he has has played a role in our team not being successful. I'm gonna have to put you on ignore now to save us both time. When people start making things up that I never said, that is crossing the line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You keep saying things that I have never said Doomsday101, why do you keep making things up? I have never said that before. Again, for the millionth time, it is not all on Romo.. but he is not blameless and he has has played a role in our team not being successful. I'm gonna have to put you on ignore now to save us both time. When people start making things up that I never said, that is crossing the line.

Because your comments continue to be about Romo alone no one else. It is Romo and Garrett with you I don't see you pointing the finger at anyone else. I have never said he was blameless, in any win or loss a lot of people can be looked at as reasons why a team loses. The RB who has the critical fumble, the WR who has the big drop, defense who fail to make the stop and yes the QB who threw an int. If you don't want so called words in your mouth than be more balanced in where you point your finger.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

Yet you assign the 1-7 record to Romo.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
lol... Yeah, blame it on the OL. The whole world saw the choke job pal.

What the whole world should have seen is the Commanders run the same exact blitz over

and over

and over

And it beating our OL over

and over

and over
, to the point that Romo started to hear footsteps every play.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's justifiable assigning a large ratio of blame to Tony Romo. If you are "the man", the spotlight falls squarely upon your shoulders and you must produce every single time. It does not matter what your sporting cast actually does to help win games--especially the games that matter most. This unquestionable principle has been proven correct time and again throughout professional team sports. For instance, take LeBron James. When James played for the Cleveland Cavaliers...

Wait. My bad. Allow me to use a more appropriate example. John Elway practically owned the AFC in the mid-to-late 1980's. Cleveland fans (Hey look! Cleveland again. Same world, huh?) thought Elway was some sort of assassin as often as he kept throwing daggers through their hearts. In three Super Bowl appearances during that time, Elway...

Alrighty then. huh. Scratch him too. How about baseball? Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the yada yada cracker jacks. Even to this day, the Miracle Mets and Nolan Ryan are still considered one of the most phenomenal teams in baseball history. Ryan was one of the most dominant pitchers of all-time. For nearly a quarter century following his MLB Championship season in his third professional year, Ryan appeared in zero World Series. Ryan is a testament to...

To heck with this. Romo's fat.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's justifiable to assign a large ratio of blame to Tony Romo. If you are "the man", the spotlight falls squarely upon your shoulders and you must produce every single time. It does not matter what your sporting cast actually does to help win games--especially the games that matter most. This unquestionable principle has been proven correct time and again throughout professional team sports. For instance, take LeBron James. When James played for the Cleveland Cavaliers...

Wait. My bad. Allow me to use a more appropriate example. John Elway practically owned the AFC in the mid-to-late 1980's. Cleveland fans (Hey look! Cleveland again. Same world, huh?) thought Elway was some sort of assassin as often as he kept throwing daggers through their hearts. In three Super Bowl appearances during that time, Elway...

Alrighty then. huh. Scratch him too. How about baseball? Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the yada yada cracker jacks. Even to this day, the Miracle Mets and Nolan Ryan are still considered one of the most phenomenal teams in baseball history. Ryan was one of the most dominant pitchers of all-time. For nearly a quarter decade following his MLB Championship season in his third professional year, Ryan appeared in zero World Series. Ryan is a testament to...

I think this applies much more in basketball--with 5 starters playing both ways--than football, where you have 22 and special teams and no one player plays both ways.
Possibly more than any other sport, a single player in football should never be assigned anything close to a win or a loss.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's justifiable assigning a large ratio of blame to Tony Romo. If you are "the man", the spotlight falls squarely upon your shoulders and you must produce every single time. It does not matter what your sporting cast actually does to help win games--especially the games that matter most. This unquestionable principle has been proven correct time and again throughout professional team sports. For instance, take LeBron James. When James played for the Cleveland Cavaliers...

Alrighty then. huh. Scratch him too. How about baseball? Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the yada yada cracker jacks. Even to this day, the Miracle Mets and Nolan Ryan are still considered one of the most phenomenal teams in baseball history. Ryan was one of the most dominant pitchers of all-time. For nearly a quarter century following his MLB Championship season in his third professional year, Ryan appeared in zero World Series. Ryan is a testament to...

On Elway? I think Earnest Byner fumble right at the goal line with seconds left in the game was at least one knife in the heart of the Browns. Elway is a great QB but he played no part in Byners costly fumble, the Denver Defense stripped him and recoved to seal the win if Byner crosses the goal line then Cleveland goes to the SB not Denver and Elway. Had that happened it would not take away from how great of a QB Elway was after all a QB only playing on one side of the ball can only do so much

DFWJC

Reaction score
On Elway? I think Earnest Byner fumble right at the goal line with seconds left in the game was at least one knife in the heart of the Browns. Elway is a great QB but he played no part in Byners costly fumble, the Denver Defense stripped him and recoved to seal the win if Byner crosses the goal line then Cleveland goes to the SB not Denver and Elway. Had that happened it would not take away from how great of a QB Elway was after all a QB only playing on one side of the ball can only do so much

Even Byner was a great example of one single player not losing a game. Without him (120 yards and two TDs) and they are getting killed in that one. But that was a devasting play.. A career non-fumbler who was a huge reason why they were ready to win that game, but he allowed the ball to be poked out.

Brutal for both the franchise and him... though he did end up having very nice, if not great, career.

Here's one take.

On ESPN Classic's "The Fumble, the Story of the 1987 AFC Championship", the Browns' then-head coach Marty Schottenheimer analyzed the play, showing that the fumble was not entirely Byner's fault. Schottenheimer stated: "The Browns' wide receiver #84, Webster Slaughter is supposed to take ten steps then block Castille to the outside. Instead, he wanted to watch the play."

Castille said: "I was thinking, 'I got burned the last time I tried to bump-and-run [Slaughter]', so instead I stepped back six-to-eight yards before the snap, so I could better see the play unfold. I saw it was a
draw play and that Byner had the ball. I remember thinking that Byner ran all over us that entire second half, so there was no way I was going to tackle him. Instead, I went for the ball the whole time."

Schottenheimer continued: "Earnest never saw Castille coming. Earnest was the reason we were still in the game at that point. He had several heroic runs and catches over the course of the second half that allowed us to have a chance to tie the game at 38. All of these heroics, unfortunately, were overshadowed by a single draw play from the eight-yard line."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this applies much more in basketball--with 5 starters playing both ways--than football, where you have 22 and special teams and no one player plays both ways.
Possibly more than any other sport, a single player in football should never be assigned anything close to a win or a loss.
Sure. There isn't very much to debate--as long as the distinction holds that basketball is not an exception. Great basketball players must have supporting casts capable of producing for the team. Before Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan was just another superstar. Before Moses Malone, Julius Erving was a former ABA legend who kept falling short of the ultimate goal. Would Boston have contended with the Los Angeles Lakers so often in the 1980's if the Celtics had Larry Bird but not Larry Parrish and Mark McHale?

This is not directed towards you in any way, but it astounds me whenever too much emphasis is placed upon an individual player in team sports. Team sports isn't individual sports. If Serena Williams outfit is so tight it affects her serve, blame Serena. If Tiger Woods fires yet another swing coach and keeps blasting tee shots into the galleries, blame Tiger. Heck, if California Chrome escapes his stall hunting for bad oats prior to the Belmont, blame the horse.

It simply amazing how fans filter team sport games through the lens of a single player--especially during games where other players commit turnovers, penalties, or just play at a substandard level. I just don't get it.

/rant

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Even Byner was a great example of one single player not losing a game. Without him (120 yards and two TDs) and they are getting killed in that one. But that was a devasting play.. A career non-fumbler who was a huge reason why they were ready to win that game, but he allowed the ball to be poked out.

Brutal for both the franchise and him... though he did end up having very nice, if not great, career.

Here's one take.

On ESPN Classic's "The Fumble, the Story of the 1987 AFC Championship", the Browns' then-head coach Marty Schottenheimer analyzed the play, showing that the fumble was not entirely Byner's fault. Schottenheimer stated: "The Browns' wide receiver #84, Webster Slaughter is supposed to take ten steps then block Castille to the outside. Instead, he wanted to watch the play."

Castille said: "I was thinking, 'I got burned the last time I tried to bump-and-run [Slaughter]', so instead I stepped back six-to-eight yards before the snap, so I could better see the play unfold. I saw it was a
draw play and that Byner had the ball. I remember thinking that Byner ran all over us that entire second half, so there was no way I was going to tackle him. Instead, I went for the ball the whole time."

Schottenheimer continued: "Earnest never saw Castille coming. Earnest was the reason we were still in the game at that point. He had several heroic runs and catches over the course of the second half that allowed us to have a chance to tie the game at 38. All of these heroics, unfortunately, were overshadowed by a single draw play from the eight-yard line."

I fully agree, was his mistake a factor of course it was but one of many factors. As you mention baseball and Basketball, hockey the player plays both offense and defense a guy can take over a game. As a Rockets fan back in the 90's I was a big fan of Hakeem Olajuwon he would go down on one end of the court and block a shot come back down on the other end and get the ball down low use his dream shake and knock down the shot. In Football you are on offense you are standing on the sideline much of the time and have no control over what is taking place and once you do get back on the field again you rely so much on others. As great as Montana was he did not do jack vs 85 Bears because his OL just could not protect him same when he played LT and the Giants he could not overcome the lack of protection.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean... Elway didn't cause the fumble? Gosh.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure. There isn't very much to debate--as long as the distinction holds that basketball is not an exception. Great basketball players must have supporting casts capable of producing for the team. Before Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan was just another superstar. Before Moses Malone, Julius Erving was a former ABA legend who kept falling short of the ultimate goal. Would the Boston have contended with the Los Angeles Lakers so often in the 1980's if the Celtics had Larry Bird but not Larry Parrish and Mark McHale?

This is not directed towards you in any way, but it astounds me whenever too much emphasis is placed upon an individual player in team sports. Team sports isn't individual sports. If Serena Williams outfit is so tight it affects her serve, blame Serena. If Tiger Woods fires yet another swing coach and keeps blasting tee shots into the galleries, blame Tiger. Heck, if California Chrome escapes his stall hunting for bad oats prior to the Belmont, blame the horse.

It simply amazing how fans filter team sport games through the lens of a single player--especially during games where other players commit turnovers, penalties, or just play at a substandard level. I just don't get it.

/rant

True basketball is still a team game and the sums of the team is bigger than the individual but and it is a big but in baseketball guys like Jordan and my guy Olajuwon made plays both offense and defense. Seeing Jordan in a game steal the ball on an inbounds pass then quickly turn shoot the ball and hit the game winner was something you will not get in football because you only play one side of the ball

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You mean... Elway didn't cause the fumble? Gosh.

The point is unlike the other team sports you are not playing offense and defense you control only so much so for 1 person to have it thrown at them as winning it or losing it is stupid. It is not just the QB no matter how great of an individual player he may be. That QB relies on a lot of people do be able to do his job.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score

Least elway took his bad teams to the Super Bowl multiple times