Tony Romo Appreciation Thread

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
If the 2014 Cowboys defeat the Packers, do you think they beat Seattle then NE?

Motorola

Reaction score
so much fun to watch. top three in career QB rating. If they play him in 2016, I think at worst they are in the NFC Championship game.
Went over to Pro Football Reference.com.
Their rankings____Romo's career 97.1 QB rating is tied for 12th overall - currently tied with Tua Tagovailoa.
Just behind 11th-ranked Tom Brady____ 97.2
Just ahead of 14th-ranked Steve Young____ 96.8

HMJYay

Reaction score
All these teams were 4-12 without Romo. Without Dak this current team went 5–1. That tells you all you need to know. Romo truly carried bad teams (most years, especially 2010-2013). Dak has been carried by good teams. Romo also played when the NFC East was really good. 6 hard games a year. Dak has played against a terrible NFC East most years. Dak also has had the TOP scoring defense in the league the last 3 years, which Romo never had once. And don’t even get me started on the O line. Albeit it 2014, Romo made terrible lines work. Romo was a much better QB than Dak and 2016 was one of Jerry’s biggest mistakes. And Dak keeps proving it over and over again. The dumbest thing is Romo finishing out 2016 and let’s say 2017 then retiring would have only beniffited Dak.

HMJYay

Reaction score
I dont know how anyone can dispute this.

“He wouldnt have lasted” - ok and? Dak wouldve just came in just like he did when he was injured in the preseason

“How can you say that when he had 9 years prior to do it???” - The same Dak fans that still believe he can win a championship here despite not doing it his first 8 years.

To your point, we needed the vet in that game against the packers. On the last drive when we had the ball (score was 28-31) It was 1st & 10 on the 41 yd line with 48 seconds left and 1 timeout. GB defense is clearly on their heels as we got a bunch of chunk plays prior. Dak inexplicably spikes the ball. In that scenario you want to 1. Score a Td and or 2. Not allow Gb to get the ball back (tie it w a fg and go to OT). After he spikes it, on 2nd and 10 he throws and out to Beasley for 7 yds and he goes out of bounds. On 3rd and 3, the ball is batted down.

Without spiking that ball and either calling the timeout or letting the clock run, we wouldve had an extra down to get the first or kick the fg with less time for Rodgers to get them in fg range.

Romo at that point in his career was great w situational awareness and wouldve never spiked that ball. It was a Huge mistake that gets overlooked in that game.
1000%. Remember watching live thinking *** is he doing? And he’s never been good in those situations. Where Romo almost always has. Cowboys win that game with Romo.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The dumbest thing is Romo finishing out 2016 and let’s say 2017 then retiring would have only beniffited Dak.
Jerry Jones' loyalty to Tony Romo was basically gone by late October 2016. His loyalty had been 100% from late 2006 until August of that year. I extremely doubt Romo would have returned to Dallas in any conceivable scenario without Jones' backing.

2016 will forever serve as a testament of Jones' GM philosophy. It is one thing to identify your future franchise quarterback to secure future success. It is another thing to gamble immediate success on who you support 100%.

Every team's ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. Or at least it should be. A favorably strong argument can be made that 2016 was every bit a championship contending season, which Dak Prescott played a significant role in making happen.

No rookie quarterback has ever appeared in or helped win a Super Bowl. Jones gambled he could that season. The mass 'team chemistry euphoria' supported the decision as well. The odds may have been slim-to-none that a veteran quarterback could have led the team past Green Bay in the divisional round that postseason. Foresight saw those odds were still higher than that of a rookie quarterback put into that very situation.

But who knows what would have really happened? Romo's strongest critics have always implied or flat out said he would have ended up a quadriplegic if he played another down (even though he actually played a series against the Eagles after his demotion). Romo could have taken the first snap that game and woke up the next moment, with Candice looking down at him in his hospital room, pointing at the wheelchair in the corner, saying, "Tony, they say you will need this from now on." The nurses would have soon after rushed into the room with him screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SOMEONE GET ME A CORONA!!!"

Seriously though, Jones has trial-and-errored from day one of his self-appointed GM era. He rode the Jimmy Johnson wave to a third Lombardi trophy. He keep riding it into that fateful 2016 season. He is still riding that wave today. His 2016 gamble was not the dumbest thing Jones ever did though. That happened before his wave crested in the first place.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones' loyalty to Tony Romo was basically gone by late October 2016. His loyalty had been 100% from late 2006 until August of that year. I extremely doubt Romo would have returned to Dallas in any conceivable scenario without Jones' backing.

2016 will forever serve as a testament of Jones' GM philosophy. It is one thing to identify your future franchise quarterback to secure future success. It is another thing to gamble immediate success on who you support 100%.

Every team's ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. Or at least it should be. A favorably strong argument can be made that 2016 was every bit a championship contending season, which Dak Prescott played a significant role in making happen.

No rookie quarterback has ever appeared in or helped win a Super Bowl. Jones gambled he could that season. The mass 'team chemistry euphoria' supported the decision as well. The odds may have been slim-to-none that a veteran quarterback could have led the team past Green Bay in the divisional round that postseason. Foresight saw those odds were still higher than that of a rookie quarterback put into that very situation.

But who knows what would have really happened? Romo's strongest critics have always implied or flat out said he would have ended up a quadriplegic if he played another down (even though he actually played a series against the Eagles after his demotion). Romo could have taken the first snap that game and woke up the next moment, with Candice looking down at him in his hospital room, pointing at the wheelchair in the corner, saying, "Tony, they say you will need this from now on." The nurses would have soon after rushed into the room with him screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SOMEONE GET ME A CORONA!!!"

Seriously though, Jones has trial-and-errored from day one of his self-appointed GM era. He rode the Jimmy Johnson wave to a third Lombardi trophy. He keep riding it into that fateful 2016 season. He is still riding that wave today. His 2016 gamble was not the dumbest thing Jones ever did though. That happened before his wave crested in the first place.
I counter the "Romo broke" crowd by saying for once in his life....he had a chance to fully heal from injury. He didn't play through it or come back too soon like he ALWAYS did before. I give Dak a lot of credit for that but I also give the really good team that 2016 was.

I'm mature enough to admit...but of course romo could have got injured again. But the "never Romo" crowd doesn't seem to be mature enough to say "he might have played through when it really mattered"... given his health and the great strength of that team and OL/Zeke.

I also distinctly recall Jerry saying" don't mess with a streak"...instead of playing the best player available.

But...all ancient history...even though we are left with the tattered remains. We left our best chance at a super bowl in the hands of Dak Prescott...and here we are 8 years later.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also distinctly recall Jerry saying" don't mess with a streak"...instead of playing the best player available.
'Don't mess with a streak' was team chemistry euphoria's main chant that season, not just on fansites like these but in media interviews, fans at games, etc. The vibe was occasionally like a kid, riding a tricycle, turn down a hallway and see twin girls in his path telling him, "Come play with us, Danny."

tomokawan

Reaction score
If youve noticed the dak defenders are far less than what was around 2 years ago. Each year they smarten up a lil, but some of us were smart from the get go
Smart from the get go??? What were you smart about from the get go?? You been rooting for his failure since the get go, Got it. I support whoever is the Cowboys QB. I wish the best for any one. Unfortunately, too many root for a player they dislike to fail.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Antonio Ramiro Romo is my All-Time #1 favorite Dallas Cowboy, and I am old enough to remember Craig Morton in a Cowboys uniform. I imagine that my admiration of Romo is similar to a Detroit Lions fan's admiration of Barry Sanders. I would watch the games every week to see what magic Tony had today.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

This play should have put him in the Hall of Fame alone.

And this drive was vintage Romo (Dez is out)…

Go Cowboys!

Since Jimmy Johnson was fired in March 1994, I don't appreciate anything or anybody that's an Arlington Jonesboy from ownership, management, coaching, and to the players. They all got paid for mediocrity and being "relevant"