Tony Romo for HOF

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I feel like the no Super Bowl may hurt his chances, but, in my mind he deserves it. He was an amazing player and one of my favorite ever to watch. There were so many times when he had the ball last and I felt confident he could bring Dallas down the field and put them in position to win, a la 2015 opener against the Giants. Yeah, he threw some heart breakers in his career but he was a gunslinger. He was never afraid to take some chances. Plus, he came off as a really outs-standing guy off the field. Character always means a lot to me. If you can be great on and off the field, that makes you special.

I know there are a lot or Romo haters that lurk in the shadows but they'll never convince me otherwise. It really is sad he never got a chance in the big dance.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I feel like the no Super Bowl may hurt his chances, but, in my mind he deserves it. He was an amazing player and one of my favorite ever to watch. There were so many times when he had the ball last and I felt confident he could bring Dallas down the field and put them in position to win, a la 2015 opener against the Giants. Yeah, he threw some heart breakers in his career but he was a gunslinger. He was never afraid to take some chances. Plus, he came off as a really outs-standing guy off the field. Character always means a lot to me. If you can be great on and off the field, that makes you special.

I know there are a lot or Romo haters that lurk in the shadows but they'll never convince me otherwise. It really is sad he never got a chance in the big dance.
It's his own fault. 2006 and 2007 were the best chances we had and was probably the best teams weve had since the 90's. If he doesn't fumble the snap in 2006 I think we make it. 2007 he decided he wanted to be a big shot and go to cabo in the bye week and plays like dog ****. 18-36 for 201 yards 1 td 1 int. passer rating of 64. I wish people would stop praising a guy who never showed up to a big game. His up and down play irritated the hell out of me. I'm glad he's gone.

Blake

Reaction score

No Superbowls? How about not even getting past the second round of the playoffs at least once. Danny White has more claim to the HOF than Romo does.

But who knows, this pansy *** generation of soy boys just may let him in.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's his own fault. 2006 and 2007 were the best chances we had and was probably the best teams weve had since the 90's. If he doesn't fumble the snap in 2006 I think we make it. 2007 he decided he wanted to be a big shot and go to cabo in the bye week and plays like dog ****. 18-36 for 201 yards 1 td 1 int. passer rating of 64. I wish people would stop praising a guy who never showed up to a big game. His up and down play irritated the hell out of me. I'm glad he's gone.
No Superbowls? How about not even getting past the second round of the playoffs at least once. Danny White has more claim to the HOF than Romo does.

But who knows, this pansy *** generation of soy boys just may let him in.

Look I get it, I do. I'm not that big of a homer that I can't admit that he didn't have his flaws. He did. He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a damn good QB for being an undrafted player. And you can't deny that he wasn't handcuffed to mediocre coaching most of his career. 07 did hurt, I admit that. I felt really good that year and losing so early, especially to the Giants whom I hate, was a jagged pill to swallow.

As for the fumble of the snap, I kind of feel like that unfortunately set the narrative for his career. That weird bad energy from that night kind of seemed to follow him the rest of his tenure as a player. It was the monkey on his back he could never quite shake.

I'm not trying to convince anybody or say he was the best played in the history of football, but, in my mind I do believe he was a special player. The cards just didn't fall right for him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I’d vote for Tony.

He’s famous and his name is recognized by everyone.

Who hasn’t heard of Tony Romo?

Problem is, we have guys like Gosselin blocking most of our guys from the Hall.

Ever heard of Chuck Howley?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Look I get it, I do. I'm not that big of a homer that I can't admit that he didn't have his flaws. He did. He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a damn good QB for being an undrafted player. And you can't deny that he wasn't handcuffed to mediocre coaching most of his career. 07 did hurt, I admit that. I felt really good that year and losing so early, especially to the Giants whom I hate, was a jagged pill to swallow.

As for the fumble of the snap, I kind of feel like that unfortunately set the narrative for his career. That weird bad energy from that night kind of seemed to follow him the rest of his tenure as a player. It was the monkey on his back he could never quite shake.

I'm not trying to convince anybody or say he was the best played in the history of football, but, in my mind I do believe he was a special player. The cards just didn't fall right for him.
He's definitely snake bitten. He had terrible luck. The ball never did bounce his way either. He overacheived coming from being undrafted but he was never a top 5 qb. I never had faith that he would get us to a super bowl. The hardest loss for me was 2006 with the field goal. I was already running around my apartment celebrating bragging to my boys some are cowboy fans a couple giants fans and an eagles fan (I live in Jersey). Then the unthinkable happens. Crushed me. Like I said glad hes gone.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

He was one of the best to play in the history of football. There’s mountains of evidence to support that. There’s no real reason for anyone to feel bad because he doesn’t meet the specific requirements to get in the HOF. The Hall of Fame is not necessarily for the best QBs, it’s for “at least good” QBs with rings. It’s nothing personal against Tony. There’s no thought process behind it. It’s the same thing with McNabb and Rivers. For QBs, it’s the Hall of Rings... not the Hall of Best QBs.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He's definitely snake bitten. He had terrible luck. The ball never did bounce his way either. He overacheived coming from being undrafted but he was never a top 5 qb. I never had faith that he would get us to a super bowl. The hardest loss for me was 2006 with the field goal. I was already running around my apartment celebrating bragging to my boys some are cowboy fans a couple giants fans and an eagles fan (I live in Jersey). Then the unthinkable happens. Crushed me. Like I said glad hes gone.
The SEA game didn't kill me as much because I didn't think the D would hold......We were screwed when they didn't give Witten the First Down

My worst loss was the NYG game after the BYE.....that was just a huge letdown and we could have won it all..... don't know it was Crayton or Romo but that hurt

To me Romo is Hall of Very Good but not HoF...... gotta get some Playoff wins

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The SEA game didn't kill me as much because I didn't think the D would hold......We were screwed when they didn't give Witten the First Down

My worst loss was the NYG game after the BYE.....that was just a huge letdown and we could have won it all..... don't know it was Crayton or Romo but that hurt

To me Romo is Hall of Very Good but not HoF...... gotta get some Playoff wins
They both stung really bad. It hurt even more because the wheels pretty much fell off after 2007. He was a very good QB, and a very like able person, but not hall of fame material.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He was one of the best to play in the history of football. There’s mountains of evidence to support that. There’s no real reason for anyone to feel bad because he doesn’t meet the specific requirements to get in the HOF. The Hall of Fame is not necessarily for the best QBs, it’s for “at least good” QBs with rings. It’s nothing personal against Tony. There’s no thought process behind it. It’s the same thing with McNabb and Rivers. For QBs, it’s the Hall of Rings... not the Hall of Best QBs.
Or, he's just simply not a HOF caliber QB.
Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon and Frank Tarkenton just spoiled your ring theory.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That is 10 Super Bowl appearances right there...... a lot of Playoff Wins
More importantly, none of those guys have taken a snap this century. Just like with baseball, the HOF voters are not static and changes over time... and clearly as the committee stands now and with the people they’ve excluded, the minimum criteria of a ring has been established. Not even up for debate really.
In baseball, there are guys who are getting in now who would have never gotten in before because of the committee having a fundamental shift in the way they view players.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
More importantly, none of those guys have taken a snap this century. Just like with baseball, the HOF voters are not static and changes over time... and clearly as the committee stands now and with the people they’ve excluded, the minimum criteria of a ring has been established. Not even up for debate really.
In baseball, there are guys who are getting in now who would have never gotten in before because of the committee having a fundamental shift in the way they view players.
I will be the first one protesting if romo ever makes it into the hall.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not just about Super Bowls. It's about NFC Championship games. Its about NFC Championship wins..It's about playoff games. It's about wins versus losses in playoff games and it's about division championships. In an era where is it MUCH easier to throw up better passing stats than yesteryear, stats don't count as much as they use to. Seems EVERYONEs passing stats are elevated. It's been a passing league for a while now. A lot get gets lost in that. Tony just didn't do enough when it counted to get in but that is just ones opinion. .02
I agree

mmohican29

Reaction score
Too many high profile gaffes to change public perception that he was a choke artist. He was an amazing W2W QB that with a better team wins several conference championships.

But here is what the public remembers:

Seattle game botch

Nyg playoff game disappearing act/Cabo

Blown leads home games vs GB, Detroit

Denver 500 yard game- death knell pick

Minnesota curb stomp

He had a black cat stigma he never could shake. But the man could ball big time. He is a pro football anomaly from nowhere.

He will not and should not be a HOF player. There are indeed other QB's Tony was the superior player too that will (Eli, McNabb, Rivers, etc.).

If he had followed Parcells (who I overall think was dog**** in Dallas btw) commandments to the letter he is a legend.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few comments about the OP, the first of which is, like it or not, post season participation and success plays a big part in HOF voting. And it’s not just Suoer Bowl wins, SB appearances, playoff appearances, playoff wins ... they all matters to voters.

Second is it’s not really relevant to compare Romo to guys like Fouts or players of that era or before, because things change over time. When Fouts retired he was one of the top 5 passers of all time. He is further down the list now, but he isn’t being voted on now. He was judged by where he stood at the time.

Talking about how Romo’s numbers would project if he had played as long as others, or if he had averaged for his full career the number of TDs he did his last few years doesn’t factor in. He didn’t do those things so he won’t get credit from voters as if he did.

All this said, I certainly think Romo should be a solid candidate for the HOF, but ultimately I don’t think he will make it because with so few post season appearances, and so little post season success I don’t think he will get enough voter support.