Tony Romo for HOF

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Zero chance for HOF. Very little playoff success. Fair or not he has a choker reputation. Romo was a good QB but also a stat compiler in a pass happy league. The players you comped him against are all much better. His type does not get in.
Jim Kelly and Dan Fouts are not “much better”. Not a chance.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We also had 3 top 10 defenses with romo. So theres that. I think Dak might have more losses where we've scored over 30 points than romo ever has.
In 8 almost-full seasons, Romo had 10 losses where we scored 30 or more and another 4 where we scored 27 or more.....and Dak has 3 so far...which is 3 too many.
Not sure what Dak has to do with this conversation though. But I agree, he too has played well in a few losses.

DFWJC

Reaction score
His teammates always let him down. Throughout his career. Fasano dropped an easy TD in that game too. Crayton also dropped a 3rd down conversion earlier in that game.

Unfortunately QBs are many times measured by team accomplishments. If you have the stats and team accomplishments usually that’ll be enough for HOF. It’s tough to get in with just stats. If he would’ve had 2-3 more years of playing well there’s no doubt he’s probably make it.

He could get in as a player/contributer if he becomes a broadcasting legend.
He was kind of snake bit. Some of the stuff is just really rare.
He shares in the blame, of course...but man, some of it was just weird.

They smoked Philly in one playoff game and got smoked by Minnesota in another.
But all the rest came down the final few minutes. Just didn't happen in 3 of the 4, but very easily could've. Sad, but that's how it was.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
In 8 almost-full seasons, Romo had 10 losses where we scored 30 or more and another 4 where we scored 27 or more.....and Dak has 3 so far...which is 3 too many.
Not sure what Dak has to do with this conversation though. But I agree, he too has played well in a few losses.
That someone could even write down that Dak already has more 30 point losses than Romo and not question it is a stunning level of cluelessness.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Fasano didn't drop an easy TD pass. The pass was broken up by a defender. The easy play that was missed was the very next play when Romo badly missed a wide open Owens on 3rd down.
You need to re-watch Fasano dropped a td that him hit on the numbers with no one around.

Big_D

Reaction score
Romo shares blame.

Of course he does, he's hiring coaches and calling the draft. How's he to blame for the RW trade, one ridiculous draft after the next. The special teams draft, Wade and JG. They didn't draft Tyron until 5 years after he started?? They wasted the height of his career on stupidity. Then he had 2 years of a quality run game. Never once any clutch football from that group. People want to blame Romo, but the FO did him no favors at all. The D is still an issue 12 years later? Compare that to QBs with competent decision making from their respective front offices. There is no comparison.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Of course he does, he's hiring coaches and calling the draft. How's he to blame for the RW trade, one ridiculous draft after the next. The special teams draft, Wade and JG. They didn't draft Tyron until 5 years after he started?? They wasted the height of his career on stupidity. Then he had 2 years of a quality run game. Never once any clutch football from that group. People want to blame Romo, but the FO did him no favors at all. The D is still an issue 12 years later? Compare that to QBs with competent decision making from their respective front offices. There is no comparison.
No, Romo had a had in poor decisions, poor execution and not capitalizing on opportunities. You can blame everything on the FO and staff all you want. But it's a bad look because Romo had his fair share of goof ups.
Maybe you need a few more years to get over Romo. You seem edgy.

Big_D

Reaction score
No, Romo had a had in poor decisions, poor execution and not capitalizing on opportunities. You can blame everything on the FO and staff all you want. But it's a bad look because Romo had his fair share of goof ups.
Maybe you need a few more years to get over Romo. You seem edgy.

Goofs due to an unbalanced offense, poor coaching and the usual crap offseason. I'm not edgy.. this argument is ridiculous cause the FO sucked And I'm not going to blame the one guy who put up top 10 numbers on a regular basis. The 'team' that was built wasn't good enough. It's really that simple. Every single one of those goofs came down to the QB. Remember when Aikman had Smith and Staubach had TD and those guys were more than capable of making a clutch play? Not to mention quality coaching. Well Romo had none of it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Goofs due to an unbalanced offense, poor coaching and the usual crap offseason. I'm not edgy.. this argument is ridiculous cause the FO sucked And I'm not going to blame the one guy who put up top 10 numbers on a regular basis. The 'team' that was built wasn't good enough. It's really that simple. Every single one of those goofs came down to the QB. Remember when Aikman had Smith and Staubach had TD and those guys were more than capable of making a clutch play? Not to mention quality coaching. Well Romo had none of it.

It's the exaggeration of these claims that people argue against. For example, the team has had the ability to run the ball but chose not to. We were normally top half of the league in Yards Per Carry, but bottom half of the league in attempts. Run the ball more, have a better running game. We even converted 3rd and 4th and short around a 75% clip except for 2009.

These notions that he never had a chance, he never had a defense, he never had a running game, he had to carry the team is false. Then every mistake he made is excused yet a JAG receiver drops one pass and he is the reason the team lost. The legend of Fasano having a pass broken up has grown to dropping a pass with noone around so he can shoulder some of the blame instead of Romo.

There is plenty of blame to go around, up to and including Romo. I bet the majority of Romo hate would disappear if Romo wasn't propped up on some pedestal and treated as if he were put in a situation where there was absolutely no chance for success. There were opportunities and they weren't taken advantage of. Some of those wasted opportunities are partially his fault and other times they were not, but opportunities did exist.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Not everyone is built the same. Peyton Manning has a beer belly... Romo was a thick guy. He had to be to take some of the shots he did. Guy did a lot of powercleans and deadlifts because Vinny T told him too. The method is changing with Brady and Brees and their training methods of not lifting iron or straining themselves.

Romo did a lot of big things in his offseasons. He would tweak his throwing motion, work on cutting out fumbles, and make various improvements year to year. The guy was an undrafted free agent who came back from a slipped disc in his back. This statement that he didn’t take offseasons seriously is ridiculous.

And report to camp completely bloated and increasingly less agile.

Look- I'm in no position to criticize but knowing his public perception and high profile gaffes, you would think he'd at least once come into camp with the shake this bs monkey/shock and awe, going to win it all period attitude and guns blazing.

He spoke to it a few times.

Never really happened.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Stop it. I fully understand the FO/Staff shortcomings, but if you are seriously blaming Romo's mistakes on them I can't take you serious. It was Jerry Jones and Parcell's fault Romo bobbled a perfect snap to win the game in 2006? Right.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Stop it. I fully understand the FO/Staff shortcomings, but if you are seriously blaming Romo's mistakes on them I can't take you serious. It was Jerry Jones and Parcell's fault Romo bobbled a perfect snap to win the game in 2006? Right.
No here are the excuses
2006 - slippery ball
2007 - Crayton and Fasano
2008 - running game and defense
2009 - offensive line and running game
2010 - Wade Phillips and offensive line
2011 - defense and running game
2012 - defense and running game
2013 - defense and running game
2014 - Murray and defense
2015 - fluke injury
2016 - Garrett or Jones for not letting Romo play
2017 - Garrett and Jones for not letting Romo compete for starting job

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No here are the excuses
2006 - slippery ball
2007 - Crayton and Fasano
2008 - running game and defense
2009 - offensive line and running game
2010 - Wade Phillips and offensive line
2011 - defense and running game
2012 - defense and running game
2013 - defense and running game
2014 - Murray and defense
2015 - fluke injury
2016 - Garrett or Jones for not letting Romo play
2017 - Garrett and Jones for not letting Romo compete for starting job
2002 & 2003 Parcells was talked into benching him by aliens.
2018- ?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do fans here think Phillip Rivers should be in the HOF? Similar situation as Romo - no Super Bowl, although a little more post season games and wins, but considerably more career yards and TDs. Romo has the higher career QB rating.