Tony Romo for HOF

Bowdown27

Reaction score
His stats are up there to be put into the hall of fame but his peers will vote against him going in because the lack of his playoff success.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Two different questions that can provide two different answers.

Should Romo get into the HOF?
Will Romo get into the HOF?

Ignore these questions for now.

Given that SBs are weighted quite a bit (amongst the fandom as well) in deciding whether a QB goes to the HOF, I present a new question,

SHOULD SBs be weighted so highly while ignoring context (i.e. coaching, management, overall talent on a team, consistency of talent on a team over a career) when considering admittance into the HOF?

I'm not interested in what the supposed criteria is now, moreso, if being fair and contextual, are we doing the other 21 starters on a team, management, and coaching a disservice or giving them a break when making these decisions about the HOF?

For example, many argue here Romo is better than Aikman (HOFer), mainly because he has 3 SBs. But considering how dominant those 90s Cowboys were and the talent they possessed, is the HOF being fair and honest in their judgement when choosing players to go to the hall?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo is probably the most under appreciated, heavily scrutinized player I have ever witnessed. He might be my favorite Dallas QB to watch play(not the best) and we always had a chance on Sundays to win with him.

Unfortunately, he played in an era where many QB's put up high numbers coupled with an over zealous owner/GM. He could never get an OLine and defense together at the same time and the team heavily relied on Tony to overcome our weaknesses. That led to some late game crumbles but he also is at the top of comebacks which is rarely mentioned.

Romo could have got a title on quite a few other teams IMO. I don't think he will ever get his due which is a shame.

I think he will flirt with HOF talk and toe that line but fail to get in. He deserves it but he will come up short :(

What will sting is watching a lesser QB in Eli get in, maybe even Flacco :omg:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comparing Romo's numbers with guys that played decades ago doesn't fly.

Passing numbers have gone through the roof over the last 15 years.

His passing efficiency was very good.

But his longevity (or lack there of) and the smaller number of games started will keep him out of the HOF.

Sydla

Reaction score
Way too many negative threads lately. So I thought I'd throw my argument out there for some walk on nobody who became a great QB and totally deserves recognition in the HOF.

The true greatness of Tony Romo was never achieved and that is such a travesty. An undrafted player who’s star was so bright for such a short time. There are a lot of great QB’s who have not reached the big game. Even Brett Favre only won one SB in 19 years. Tony played 127 games and is 22nd all time in TDs with 248. That’s a total of just 8 full seasons of games and he’s 22nd all time in TDs!

Comparing his stats with some other notable HOF's that have less TD's than Tony.

Kurt Warner 124 games, 40 less TD's and more picks. Almost 2000 less yards, odd for the greatest show on turf.

Jim Kelly 160 games, 237 TD's, in almost 30 more games than Romo. 175 picks, ouch.

Steve Young 169 games, 232 TD's, only one season over 4000 yards passing, which surprised me.

These guys all played in pass happy offenses. Romo has more TD throws and a higher QB rating than all of them. The big knock is no SB.

Dan Fouts 181 games (14 years) Despite playing in Air Coryell system that has boasted the #1 receiving corp of all time, has only 6 more TD's than Tony, but in 54 more games. 242 picks! twice as many picks. No SB.

Romo has 7000 more yards and 75 more TDs than Joe Namath in less seasons. 50 more TD's than Ken Stabler in 57 less games. If Romo played one more season he would have easily passed Montana in TD's. Montana played 15 years! All these QB’s played in a pass happy system.

If Romo had played as long as Eli or Rivers (13 years) and averaged 31 TDs (average of his last 4 full seasons) (I know, injuries aside). He would project to over 400 TDs.

Who can forget winning on the road in SanFran down 13 in the 4th, comes back and wins, throws for 345 yards with a punctured lung and broken rib.

On the road in Washington, drives for the win in the final minutes with a herniated disc.

Romo has almost 100 more TD's than Roger Staubach. 83 more than Aikman in 38 less games.

Cowboy records: TD’s, yards, TD’s in a season, 300yard games, 3+ TD games. 4th qtr come backs (28) Lowest career interception percentage. 2.6% (how about that?)

NFL records:
4th highest passer rating 97.1
16th all time in 4th quarter comebacks
5th all time in completion percentage.
4th best career passer rating. (Aikman was 54th)
Tied for 5th all time in yards per attempt. (no dinking and dunking)
Romo has a career 40-27 road record. (my personal favorite)
Most consecutive road games with at least 1 TD (41)
Highest QB rating in Dec. 133.7
Highest QB rating in the 4th quarter.
Most games in a season with a passer rating of at least 135.0

All in all Romo holds 22 team and NFL records.

It’s hard to compare guys nowadays to guys from previous eras.

Like there’s no way one can argue Romo was as good as Montana despite having similar numbers.

I think he should get some HoF chatter. I like to tweak Eagles fans when I tell them Romo was a better QB than McNabb.

Reactions: G2

Sydla

Reaction score
If Troy Aikman and Jim Kelly are in the hall of Fame Tony Romo definitely deserves it. I hate to say it but Aikman was overrated. Romo was a much better QB.

Down the Road Romo will get in as a Player/commentator . Him being a commentator will help him cause he’s so good at it. You can get in as a player / contributer.

Postseason success is a huge factor here. Those two had it, Romo did not.

You may not think it’s fair but that’s how this thing works. QBs with good numbers and great postseason success get the nod.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I doubt it.
Too many losses in win or go home games.
He wasn't among the elite in his era.
He only led the NFL in significant statistics one season (2014).
Missed a lot of time injured.
1 out of 13 seasons awarded an All Pro
4 out of 13 seasons awarded a Pro Bowler
2-4 playoff record.
No SBs.

aikemirv

Reaction score
A few related articles

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-not-in-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame#slide1

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ir-mcnabb-plunkett/1mbiyq0cnz8ry1t4nnkxbiasni

https://sports.gunaxin.com/greatest-nfl-players-pro-football-hall-fame/199392

When you look at the modern day list, I think he will not get in because of the guys who will be coming up soon who are sure fire entrants - Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning (unfortunately true), Tom Brady, Roethlisberger. I think the selection group will look at those numbers of guys and look for other positions to honor because you are going to add 5-6 QB's over the next few years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those 3 QB's mentioned by the OP had more playoff success and right or wrong, that matters to the voters. If he does get in, it may take a while although his present job might get him on the fast track.

I do not know of any QB as polarizing as Romo was with the media and the analysts that seemed to downright hate him. Even when he did something good, they played the "just wait" card.

And isn't his first year of eligibility the same as Manning's? That could keep him out as well because they love them some Anvil Head.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was a big Romo fan... But personally I don't think there should be near as many people in the HOF as there is. The standard for the HOF should be extremely high. Just like Witten is not a first ballot HOF, like they keep saying... and he was great. Everything for the HOF should be production based period. What you achieved in your career... Not how wonderful you were in the community, not how many charities you support, etc... If we are basing it by adding that as a criteria, then it just becomes a popularity contest.
Well, it is the hall of Fame, not the hall of productivity. That being said, I think Romo will have a tough road to get into the HOF. If I had to bet, I'd say he does not get in. I hope he does, but it's hard to see it without those post-season wins. That's how a lot of people grade these things. Witten is a first ballot w/out question btw.