Tony Romo is to blame

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Let me just say that I love Romo and I believe in him. He has the type of character that I want to lead my team. That being said, Romo is to blame. It hurts me to say it because I felt for him but we have been protecting him from blame today. The Jessica Simpson issue didn't bother me but he needs to quit trying to emulate Favre and really work on being a little more cerebral this offseason.

Let's break it down

1. The missed pass to TO for a touchdown. He just whiffed on that pass. He was inaccurate. No excuse. We settled for a FG instead of a touchdown. A pro bowl QB needs to make that pass especially since TO was WIDE OPEN over the middle right in front of him.

2. Intentional Grounding call-you are an NFL QB, how do you argue that it wasn't your fault for throwing it out of bounds when you were clearly inside the pocket? Bonehead play..plain and simple And why did he throw it out of bounds in the first place. Why didn't he run for yards. He plenty of open running room and he throws it out of bounds

3. Not throwing it away- there were at least two explicit occassions in the 4quarter in which he didn't throw the ball away and he had every opportunity to do so. Those drives were killed because he tried to do too much instead of throwing it away.

4. Not running when given the opportunity- in the 4th, the Giants were playing back and there was no one to spot him. Instead of taking off and running, he would wait until the pocket collapsed on him. That wasn't the OL's fault. That was Romo's fault. He should have taken off and ran but he sat there while the Giants were all playing deep into coverage

5. Final Drive of the game- he was thinking touchdown instead of trying to get the first down. He should have gotten the first down which would have given the Cowboys a better opportunity to score. Instead he throws to a well covered receiver and his pass wasn't even accurate. Then he throws into triple coverage for the interception. I believe there was 16 seconds left on that last throw. Had he got the first down in that situation, they would have had enough time to spike the ball and go for another quick pass.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Things would have been much easier on the final drive if we hadn't burned two timeouts early like idiots.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
TheCount;1901723 said:
Things would have been much easier on the final drive if we hadn't burned two timeouts early like idiots.

One of the timeouts I understood, the play clock was down but why did we have to call one on the Giants punt, it was 4th and 12, why weren't we ready?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
He was getting hit basically every other time he dropped back. His WR's were a travshammockery, he had no blocking and had some very suspect play calling and time management by the coaching staff. I dont think he is at fault.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901715 said:
5. Final Drive of the game- he was thinking touchdown instead of trying to get the first down. He should have gotten the first down which would have given the Cowboys a better opportunity to score. Instead he throws to a well covered receiver and his pass wasn't even accurate.

Please put the loaded opinion down and walk away slowly. The Pass to Crayton was on the money. Crayton had his man beat for the TD and Romo put the ball right where he should have, only Crayton pulled up on the route right after Romo let go of the ball. That's not on Romo, sorry!

links18

Reaction score
Romo came apart in the 4th quarter, that is very true, but it wasn't like people were helping him out much.....

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I feel bad for Romo. He clearly had to tank the game, while wondering how Brady gets a rule invented for him in only his second year of the league and goes on to win the SB in another beautifully played out script in a patriotic year.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1901743 said:
Please put the loaded opinion down and walk away slowly. The Pass to Crayton was on the money. Crayton had his man beat for the TD and Romo put the ball right where he should have, only Crayton pulled up on the route right after Romo let go of the ball. That's not on Romo, sorry!

So you pick out one thing and ignore the rest because you couldn't contradict those opinions. Quit playing favorites and be upfront with what you know is true.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
refrains from comment as I don't want to ban myself...

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
We were very disorganized on offense and defense, we did not look prepared at all. :banghead::bang2:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1901731 said:
One of the timeouts I understood, the play clock was down but why did we have to call one on the Giants punt, it was 4th and 12, why weren't we ready?

It's simple....I had to admit it because I was a Wade backer from day one...but he doesn't pay attention to detail and by osmosis neither do his assistants.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1901740 said:
He was getting hit basically every other time he dropped back. His WR's were a travshammockery, he had no blocking and had some very suspect play calling and time management by the coaching staff. I dont think he is at fault.

He is playing the Giants. They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. This is playoff football. you can't expect him to have a nice pocket every single time he drops back. That's unreasonable and unrealistic. The point is he wasn't doing his lineman any favors either by not running when he was supposed to or going outside the pocket and throwing on a bootleg.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
iceberg;1901754 said:
a team is to blame.

i hate the singular notions.

Agreed but QB is the most important position on the team. He was our leader and there were opportunities for him to make plays and he didn't. Remember, this is a Pro Bowler and a MVP candidate this year. This isn't a "busdriver" QB that was asked to only protect the ball. Romo is arguably the biggest star on the team and he didn't come through. Both Brady and Favre came through for their teams this weekend while ours didn't. Romo deserves a lot of the blame.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901715 said:
1. The missed pass to TO for a touchdown. He just whiffed on that pass. He was inaccurate. No excuse. We settled for a FG instead of a touchdown. A pro bowl QB needs to make that pass especially since TO was WIDE OPEN over the middle right in front of him.

Romo had to throw the pass earlier than he'd like because the Giants were bearing down on him. If he has time, he makes that throw.

phildominator

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901766 said:
He is playing the Giants. They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. This is playoff football. you can't expect him to have a nice pocket every single time he drops back. That's unreasonable and unrealistic. The point is he wasn't doing his lineman any favors either by not running when he was supposed to or going outside the pocket and throwing on a bootleg.

Romo knew that even if he threw a TD, it'd be called back on a penalty. Simultaneously, scoring a TD with 16 seconds left on the clock would've left too much time for the Giants to score a FG on our pathetic defense.

Eleven penalties? 75-yards for a TD in 47 seconds...and the Giants still had one timeout...

You kidding me? In a playoff game?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901766 said:

He got hit or sacked something like SIXTEEN times today. Is that reasonable?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901752 said:
So you pick out one thing and ignore the rest because you couldn't contradict those opinions. Quit playing favorites and be upfront with what you know is true.

Okay, what about the sure TD's dropped by Fasano? Or how about those crosing routes that Crayton and T.O dropped with no defenders in front of them - which would have gone for TDs also? Sorry buddy. Your argument is flawed!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901777 said:
Agreed but QB is the most important position on the team. He was our leader and there were opportunities for him to make plays and he didn't. Remember, this is a Pro Bowler and a MVP candidate this year. This isn't a "busdriver" QB that was asked to only protect the ball. Romo is arguably the biggest star on the team and he didn't come through. Both Brady and Favre came through for their teams this weekend while ours didn't. Romo deserves a lot of the blame.

how deep you gonna dig? is the qb the problem? do you trust him long term?

i do. i'm sorry he didn't come through for you fast enough, but i have every faith he will in the end.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1901784 said:
He got hit or sacked something like SIXTEEN times today. Is that reasonable?

He had plenty of time in the first 3 quarters but I guess we will pretend he was hit then too. And what do you expect of our OL? Let's see, you are 3rd and 20 your QB is holding onto the ball and standing in the pocket; the giants defense is playing back and covering the deep pass well; yeah it's the offensive line's fault because a Hall of Famer like Strahan has all day to cave the pocket in. Sorry but the Patriot's offensive line would have struggled in that situation