Tony Romo is to blame

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
iceberg;1901790 said:
how deep you gonna dig? is the qb the problem? do you trust him long term?

i do. i'm sorry he didn't come through for you fast enough, but i have every faith he will in the end.

Why are you asking me that when I clearly stated I trust him long term. Maybe you should reread my post. I'm not trying to do anything. I'm just stating what you and I know but only I'm willing to admit. Our boy screwed up today. There is no point clouding the truth. He will improve and take us to the promise land but he made some big mistakes and still has a lot to learn. That being sad, he is my boy. If you want to protect him by denying the obvious so be it but I'm not very good at being a PR man

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
Have to disagree. This is a true team loss. They did not look prepared to play. Penalties, dropped passes, overthrows, playcalling. I could go on and on but it's starting to hurt. Your last point in general. After rewatching the play, why was everyone sent to the endzone? The middle and the sideline near the 1st down were wide open. 16 seconds you've got time for another play if you get the 1st and get out of bounds. That's on our flame haired offensive guru, but I don't place the whole game on him either.

phildominator

Reaction score
~yellow flag on the chat room floor~

Dang...we're still still getting penalties even after the game is over.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901798 said:
He had plenty of time in the first 3 quarters but I guess we will pretend he was hit then too. And what do you expect of our OL? Let's see, you are 3rd and 20 your QB is holding onto the ball and standing in the pocket; the giants defense is playing back and covering the deep pass well; yeah it's the offensive line's fault because a Hall of Famer like Strahan has all day to cave the pocket in. Sorry but the Patriot's offensive line would have struggled in that situation

He had plenty of time in the first 3 quarters to run our pathetic vanilla gameplan which diddnt involve going after the Giants 90 and 91st string corner backs.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1901789 said:
Okay, what about the sure TD's dropped by Fasano? Or how about those crosing routes that Crayton and T.O dropped with no defenders in front of them - which would have gone for TDs also? Sorry buddy. Your argument is flawed!

That was not a sure drop. The Giants defender had an arm in there. watch the replay. Fasano could have made the catch but it wasn't unreasonable that he didn't. You can't compare that to the misthrown pass to TO.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1901740 said:
He was getting hit basically every other time he dropped back. His WR's were a travshammockery, he had no blocking and had some very suspect play calling and time management by the coaching staff. I dont think he is at fault.
He's getting hit on almost every play...

Blame Garrett. 2nd half Dallas became every one-dimensional (especially last 4 drives). Dallas all but abandoned the run (4 rushes last 4 drives I think). When that happens, the defense can pin their ears back and attack attack attack.

TheHerd

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1901731 said:
One of the timeouts I understood, the play clock was down but why did we have to call one on the Giants punt, it was 4th and 12, why weren't we ready?

I hate the play clock timeouts. It's been a problem all year. Why do some teams never have this issue, but we are constantly fighting the play clock? Have the damn play ready and get it in early. I don't know, but I put this on Garrett.

TheHerd

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901777 said:
Agreed but QB is the most important position on the team. He was our leader and there were opportunities for him to make plays and he didn't. Remember, this is a Pro Bowler and a MVP candidate this year. This isn't a "busdriver" QB that was asked to only protect the ball. Romo is arguably the biggest star on the team and he didn't come through. Both Brady and Favre came through for their teams this weekend while ours didn't. Romo deserves a lot of the blame.

Brady had a coverage sack on the first play, the got hit once more all game and the defender was called for roughing. And I didn't see Stallworth stop running on the pass thrown his way.

Favre's receivers didn't drop a pass all game, and pulled in a few nice ones. Not to mention 201 rushing yards.

This was a team effort, one guy can't pull a choke like that.

phildominator

Reaction score
Tom Brady only had 262 yards on 26 completions.

Welker dropped one pass and the Patriots only had six penalties.

Romo didn't play flawlessly, but he was further handcuffed by his own team's mistakes.

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901715 said:
Let me just say that I love Romo and I believe in him. He has the type of character that I want to lead my team. That being said, Romo is to blame. It hurts me to say it because I felt for him but we have been protecting him from blame today. The Jessica Simpson issue didn't bother me but he needs to quit trying to emulate Favre and really work on being a little more cerebral this offseason.

Let's break it down

1. The missed pass to TO for a touchdown. He just whiffed on that pass. He was inaccurate. No excuse. We settled for a FG instead of a touchdown. A pro bowl QB needs to make that pass especially since TO was WIDE OPEN over the middle right in front of him.

2. Intentional Grounding call-you are an NFL QB, how do you argue that it wasn't your fault for throwing it out of bounds when you were clearly inside the pocket? Bonehead play..plain and simple And why did he throw it out of bounds in the first place. Why didn't he run for yards. He plenty of open running room and he throws it out of bounds

3. Not throwing it away- there were at least two explicit occassions in the 4quarter in which he didn't throw the ball away and he had every opportunity to do so. Those drives were killed because he tried to do too much instead of throwing it away.

4. Not running when given the opportunity- in the 4th, the Giants were playing back and there was no one to spot him. Instead of taking off and running, he would wait until the pocket collapsed on him. That wasn't the OL's fault. That was Romo's fault. He should have taken off and ran but he sat there while the Giants were all playing deep into coverage

5. Final Drive of the game- he was thinking touchdown instead of trying to get the first down. He should have gotten the first down which would have given the Cowboys a better opportunity to score. Instead he throws to a well covered receiver and his pass wasn't even accurate. Then he throws into triple coverage for the interception. I believe there was 16 seconds left on that last throw. Had he got the first down in that situation, they would have had enough time to spike the ball and go for another quick pass.

Don't worry these will be the same pple excusing Tony every year he has a collapse in the playoffs. We will keep hearing him compared to the great peyton manning. So we will have to put up with the excuse for the next 6 years. Once he goes 1-8 in the playoffs everyone will be happy & say i told you so about tony. So maybe when he's 32 or 33 years old we'll finally see him win a playoff game i can't wait.

phildominator

Reaction score
BALKIS;1901904 said:
Don't worry these will be the same pple excusing Tony every year he has a collapse in the playoffs. We will keep hearing him compared to the great peyton manning. So we will have to put up with the excuse for the next 6 years. Once he goes 1-8 in the playoffs everyone will be happy & say i told you so about tony. So maybe when he's 32 or 33 years old we'll finally see him win a playoff game i can't wait.

How about we concentrate first on getting a defense that doesn't give up a 75-yard TD drives with only 50 seconds on the clock?

Hell, the Giants still had one timeout leftover.

phildominator

Reaction score
BALKIS;1901904 said:

So what's your plan of action -- Trade Romo, outright cut his ***? Start Brad Johnson...hey, he's won a Super Bowl!

SacredStar

Reaction score
I think Romo played well in both playoff games....as QB.

Last season, Romo played a good game in Seattle and led Dallas to an almost win. Remember the Terry Glenn fumble at the 2 yard line? That was not Romo's fault. Glenn doesn't fumble that ball, then we would never have seen the famous mishandled FG snap.

Now this playoff game, Romo played good. Had Fasano, Crayton, and TO not dropped crucial passes, Romo would look like a king right now. Those are absolutely not his fault. He would never have had to be in that position at the end of the game had his receivers done their jobs earlier in the game. That's why he lost his composure at the end, because he was doing his part....his teammates were not doing their part. Those dropped passes were for first downs and scores, drive sustaining drops that killed the teams chance to win.

It is really too bad that the QB has take the brunt of the criticism of a loss when the QB played his part just fine but the rest of his supporting cast failed to deliver.

Had those catches been made, Romo would be a hero. But they were not, so now he's a goat.

Sad really.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901828 said:
That was not a sure drop. The Giants defender had an arm in there. watch the replay. Fasano could have made the catch but it wasn't unreasonable that he didn't. You can't compare that to the misthrown pass to TO.

:rolleyes:

Thread over!

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Let me just say that I love Romo and I believe in him. He has the type of character that I want to lead my team. That being said, Romo is to blame. It hurts me to say it because I felt for him but we have been protecting him from blame today. The Jessica Simpson issue didn't bother me but he needs to quit trying to emulate Favre and really work on being a little more cerebral this offseason.

Let's break it down

1. The missed pass to TO for a touchdown. He just whiffed on that pass. He was inaccurate. No excuse. We settled for a FG instead of a touchdown. A pro bowl QB needs to make that pass especially since TO was WIDE OPEN over the middle right in front of him.

2. Intentional Grounding call-you are an NFL QB, how do you argue that it wasn't your fault for throwing it out of bounds when you were clearly inside the pocket? Bonehead play..plain and simple And why did he throw it out of bounds in the first place. Why didn't he run for yards. He plenty of open running room and he throws it out of bounds

3. Not throwing it away- there were at least two explicit occassions in the 4quarter in which he didn't throw the ball away and he had every opportunity to do so. Those drives were killed because he tried to do too much instead of throwing it away.

4. Not running when given the opportunity- in the 4th, the Giants were playing back and there was no one to spot him. Instead of taking off and running, he would wait until the pocket collapsed on him. That wasn't the OL's fault. That was Romo's fault. He should have taken off and ran but he sat there while the Giants were all playing deep into coverage

5. Final Drive of the game- he was thinking touchdown instead of trying to get the first down. He should have gotten the first down which would have given the Cowboys a better opportunity to score. Instead he throws to a well covered receiver and his pass wasn't even accurate. Then he throws into triple coverage for the interception. I believe there was 16 seconds left on that last throw. Had he got the first down in that situation, they would have had enough time to spike the ball and go for another quick pass.

Let's take these one at a time:

1. Tony did miss Owens, but, let us no forget that Romo also threw a perfect pass to TO down the sideline that if Owens had extended his arms would have been a major completion. Watch the replays, Owens kept his elbows tucked. A Pro Bowl reciever, with the game on the line in the fourth quarter should give it all that he has.

2. It is not intentional grounding when you throw the ball away, while inside the box, as long as there is no aparent danger of being sacked. This was the case on the play you mention. The only bonehead was the ref for making that call.

3. I agree that Romo should have gotten rid of the ball instead of taking a sack. But let me ask you this question. How does a secondary, missing key personnel and starting a practice squad player, manage to shut down Dallas' wide recievers? Don't you think Owens and crew could have given just a bit more effort to get open? And don't get me started on the pass protection during the fourth quarter. I think toilet paper would have provided better protection.

4. Tony is a QB, not a running back. From what I saw in the fourth quarter, the O-Line never gave Tony a chance. I assure you, if your QB runs enough, he is gonna get hurt sooner or later (see Vince Young) I am sure the Giant LB's would agree with you. they would love for Tony to run. But, you seem to have forgotten, Romo threw a sure game winning TD pass that Crayton could have caught if he had just ran his route without stopping. I guess it is Tony's fault that Crayton went brain dead in this game.

5. You know, it is funny how accurate a QB is when he can step into a pass and complete his follow-thru. Unfortunately for Romo, the Giants were getting back to him almost as fast as the football. Tony was trying to make a play to win the game. If Dallas' O-line had not quit, Witten would not have had to stay back to block. I am sure Tony would rather see Jason running routes to the endzone. I guess it is Tony's fault that an O-line that dominanted the first half, quit in the second.

6. Patrick Crayton turned into Jackie Smith tonight. I am sorry for those that chose to believe otherwise, but this game turned when Crayton dropped that pass accross the middle. It is almost certain he would have scored on that play. What should have been 24-14 Dallas became 21-17 Giants, a 14 POINT DIFFERENCE. This was the turning point of the second half. Had that pass been caught, NY's view of their chances in the game would have been different. Reeves' boneheaded penalty at the end of the first half was a hard pill to swallow, but that Crayton drop, coupled with his stopping on his route in the last drive, was too much. I would tell Patrick, if you want to run your mouth, you had dang well better back it up. But, I guess Crayton's poor performance is Tony's fault aswell, using your logic.

I am not saying Romo doesn't deserve a share of the blame, but for you to lay it all on him is silly. Come back in off the ledge, everything will be ok. The sun will rise tomorrow:)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score

He could have and probably should have made that pass. He was under some pressure, so that might have been a factor, but a Super Bowl-winning quarterback has to make that play in the playoffs.

You can blame him for giving the officials a chance to blow the call, but what he did was NOT illegal.

Here's what I posted in another thread --

The Romo grounding call was nothing but an abomination -- a completely pathetic botching of the rules.

Here's the intentional grounding rule, exactly as it appears in the rule book:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 3 Fouls on Passes and Enforcement

Article 1 Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, let me emphasize specifically what the rule says:

"Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion."

It says the quarterback must be "facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense."

Not only that, but the rule book gives a specific approved ruling regarding cases when the quarterback is not under pressure:

A.R. 8.47 Second-and-10 on B20. Quarterback deliberately throws the ball out of bounds to stop the game clock.

Ruling: The pass was not thrown away to prevent loss of yardage. A’s ball third-and-10 on B20.

Now, let's look at Romo's situation when he threw the ball. This is just as the ball is leaving his hand ----v

6o0ce3k.jpg

And this is a fraction of a second after it left his hand, just in case someone thinks one of the four Giants pass-rushers was coming through an opening somewhere (the ball is just below the 4:12 on the clock, the dark spot right by the 49-yard line mark on the sideline) ----v

7y3tjpv.jpg

There wasn't a Giant anywhere close to him. There's no way anyone could think that Romo was "facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense."

After the sideline official ran in and told the referee that the pass wasn't near a receiver, you can see the referee say, "No, he was in the pocket," then throw his flag. Apparently, he forgot either that a) the quarterback must be facing an imminent sack, or b) that Romo wasn't under any pressure at all. So he blew the call.

Agreed.

I don't remember any specific plays when he should have run, except maybe when he got called for intentional grounding (look at the room to his right in the photo above).

Frankly, I think the pressure got to Romo and he started to panic. He has pulled off some great comebacks in the final minutes before, but now he's 0-for-2 in the playoffs in those situations -- arguably with disastrous chokes ending both chances. Romo played the last few plays like he had to score a touchdown instead of getting a first down. Perhaps if Barber had been smarter and went out of bounds on the first play, saving us 20 seconds, Romo wouldn't have been so apparently frazzled.

phildominator

Reaction score
DWhite Fan;1901983 said:
Let's take these one at a time:

1. Tony did miss Owens, but, let us no forget that Romo also threw a perfect pass to TO down the sideline that if Owens had extended his arms would have been a major completion. Watch the replays, Owens kept his elbows tucked. A Pro Bowl reciever, with the game on the line in the fourth quarter should give it all that he has.

2. It is not intentional grounding when you throw the ball away, while inside the box, as long as there is no aparent danger of being sacked. This was the case on the play you mention. The only bonehead was the ref for making that call.

3. I agree that Romo should have gotten rid of the ball instead of taking a sack. But let me ask you this question. How does a secondary, missing key personnel and starting a practice squad player, manage to shut down Dallas' wide recievers? Don't you think Owens and crew could have given just a bit more effort to get open? And don't get me started on the pass protection during the fourth quarter. I think toilet paper would have provided better protection.

4. Tony is a QB, not a running back. From what I saw in the fourth quarter, the O-Line never gave Tony a chance. I assure you, if your QB runs enough, he is gonna get hurt sooner or later (see Vince Young) I am sure the Giant LB's would agree with you. they would love for Tony to run. But, you seem to have forgotten, Romo threw a sure game winning TD pass that Crayton could have caught if he had just ran his route without stopping. I guess it is Tony's fault that Crayton went brain dead in this game.

5. You know, it is funny how accurate a QB is when he can step into a pass and complete his follow-thru. Unfortunately for Romo, the Giants were getting back to him almost as fast as the football. Tony was trying to make a play to win the game. If Dallas' O-line had not quit, Witten would not have had to stay back to block. I am sure Tony would rather see Jason running routes to the endzone. I guess it is Tony's fault that an O-line that dominanted the first half, quit in the second.

6. Patrick Crayton turned into Jackie Smith tonight. I am sorry for those that chose to believe otherwise, but this game turned when Crayton dropped that pass accross the middle. It is almost certain he would have scored on that play. What should have been 24-14 Dallas became 21-17 Giants, a 14 POINT DIFFERENCE. This was the turning point of the second half. Had that pass been caught, NY's view of their chances in the game would have been different. Reeves' boneheaded penalty at the end of the first half was a hard pill to swallow, but that Crayton drop, coupled with his stopping on his route in the last drive, was too much. I would tell Patrick, if you want to run your mouth, you had dang well better back it up. But, I guess Crayton's poor performance is Tony's fault aswell, using your logic.

I am not saying Romo doesn't deserve a share of the blame, but for you to lay it all on him is silly. Come back in off the ledge, everything will be ok. The sun will rise tomorrow:)

There's no point in talking sense.

He's one of those fans that thinks football is a one-man sport like tennis. It's all or nothing on the QB...nevermind the other 52 players on the roster.

Cowboys79

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901752 said:
So you pick out one thing and ignore the rest because you couldn't contradict those opinions. Quit playing favorites and be upfront with what you know is true.

Romo could have played better yes but look how many dropped passes there were! We lost this game because we just plain and simple were not ready for it!!!

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
The bottom line is tony had the football in his hands on the final drive from the 20+ yard line of the Giants with 30+ seconds on the clock and and simply couldn't find a way to win it. Sorry but superstar qb's thrive to be in the situation he was in to close out football games and they simply find a way to do it. This is what separates elite qb's from average ones.