Tony Romo is to blame

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DallasFanSince86;1903187 said:
I agree with you Hostile. Romo put the ball in Crayton's hands 2 or 3 times and Crayton dropped them.
the blame goes all the way around including our celebrity qb. but Romo should've thrown the ball away instead of getting sacked for 12 yard losses. than he throws the ball away in the pocket! somebody wasn't very focused.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasFanSince86;1903187 said:
I agree with you Hostile. Romo put the ball in Crayton's hands 2 or 3 times and Crayton dropped them.
On the long drive in the 2nd quarter how many straight times did he convert 3rd downs to fist downs? I think it was 5.

That is bad play?

How many drops? That is his fault?

He caused the blocking to go south?

Tony was one of the few people who I thought played his rear end off yesterday. I fault him for only one thing, the intentional grounding and taking one sack that he should have just got rid of it. On the other I don't think he could have.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901715 said:
1. The missed pass to TO for a touchdown. He just whiffed on that pass. He was inaccurate. No excuse. We settled for a FG instead of a touchdown. A pro bowl QB needs to make that pass especially since TO was WIDE OPEN over the middle right in front of him..

Well, if Fasano catches the pass before it's a TD and that play never happens. Even the great ones inexplicably miss a wide open receiver once in awhile.

2. Intentional Grounding call-you are an NFL QB, how do you argue that it wasn't your fault for throwing it out of bounds when you were clearly inside the pocket? Bonehead play..plain and simple And why did he throw it out of bounds in the first place. Why didn't he run for yards. He plenty of open running room and he throws it out of bounds

I'm just kind of curious what happened there. He seemed to be arguing that somebody was over there or perhaps somebody ran the wrong route.

3. Not throwing it away- there were at least two explicit occassions in the 4quarter in which he didn't throw the ball away and he had every opportunity to do so. Those drives were killed because he tried to do too much instead of throwing it away.

One time he didn't have an opportunity as the defender had a free shot at him and he had to sprint to get outside of the pocket and get his feet under him to make the throw far enough to get back to the line of scrimmage. The other time he probably could have thrown it away, although it was under similar circumstances.

4. Not running when given the opportunity- in the 4th, the Giants were playing back and there was no one to spot him. Instead of taking off and running, he would wait until the pocket collapsed on him. That wasn't the OL's fault. That was Romo's fault. He should have taken off and ran but he sat there while the Giants were all playing deep into coverage

I don't see that. He ran quite a bit for him and Dallas needs for him to get the ball into playmaker's hands to win the game, not for him to be running the ball himself. It also didn't help that the pocket collapsed.

5. Final Drive of the game- he was thinking touchdown instead of trying to get the first down. He should have gotten the first down which would have given the Cowboys a better opportunity to score. Instead he throws to a well covered receiver and his pass wasn't even accurate. Then he throws into triple coverage for the interception. I believe there was 16 seconds left on that last throw. Had he got the first down in that situation, they would have had enough time to spike the ball and go for another quick pass

Watch the plays again. The Witten throw was designed for Dallas to get a quick out and step out of bounds. Dallas did that, but the Giants read it perfectly and got Witten to stay in bounds. Outside of one play, where he had Barber underneath and it STILL would've been risky given Barber needed to get out of bounds, Dallas sent the receivers deep. On the last INT in particular he had nowhere else to go with the ball but to Glenn. Everybody ran into the endzone and they were all covered.

But let's take a look at an important part of the game that is getting overlooked...the amount of times Dallas had more than 10 yards to go to get a first down, along with what caused them to have more than 10 yards to go.

First half

2nd and 13 - Missed Fasano block on screen pass to Crayton.

There was also a 3rd and 10 on the opening drive with an Owens drop, but other than that, Dallas kept their ability to convert first downs pretty reasonable.

Second Half

3rd and 12 - Fasano dropped TD, Flozell False start

2nd and 18 + 3rd and 13 - Davis personal foul

3rd and 11 - Loss of yardage on running play (Romo later got the first down on a pass to Witten)

3rd and 13 - Sack off of a missed block.

2nd and 24 - sack off a missed block.

3rd and 10 - illegal formation.

3rd and 20 - intentional grounding.

1st and 15 & 3rd and 11 - False start Colombo.

Not to mention that Dallas had 4 drops on the day, two of them could've been worth 14 points. Instead Dallas came away with 3 points.

Romo played pretty well by my look at it. He only made one really bad throw (miss to Owens) which should've never happened had Fasano caught the TD pass beforehand. And as far as throwing decisions, I really didn't see any bad ones. You could count the INT, but he was pretty much forced to throw it there since he had throw and there were no receivers open.

YAKUZA

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1902880 said:
Tell me this, Balkis, if Tom Brady's receivers dropped his passes in the clutch, whose fault would it be, Brady's or the receivers? It's a team effort. It's not like Romo was slinging interceptions for 4 quarters. Did he have a perfect game? No, but who did? Romo has done too many things right to be dismissed like some choke artist. If the rest of the team had brought their "A" game, but Tony was sucking up the joint, then I would agree with you. But the way the game went, you're being unreasonable.

First off I'd like say Tony is not Tom Brady. Secondly I'd like to point out go watch the receivers Brady had to work with last year and see the drops they had in the playoffs and watch closely how he was still able to manage his team a victory in the playoffs. Brady had alot of his receivers drop balls last year in the playoffs. He still made it all the way to afc championship game also.

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
panther1012;1902743 said:
Amen. His descisions under pressure yesterday and during the Philly and last Commander game has raised some serious questions of his ablility to QB us to the pinnical. He also has shown problems in big games during the regular season. I wont come off this till he shows he can produce when it really counts.

Glad someone else in this thread has a little common sense viewing the qb. People will continue to toss out Peyton Manning's name whenever he fails to win another playoff game for the next 5 years so just get use to all the excuses. They will continue to say Manning didn't win his first playoff game till 7 years. They also forget to remember the qb's who had chances like Tony and simply never got it done their whole career.

panther1012

Reaction score
iceberg;1902850 said:
again - why would annoying an entire forum be helpful in this situation?

congrats. 2 posts and you went straight to ignore.

Dude, I love this team as much as anyone. And I don't care if you ignore me one bit because I will voice my opinion and frustration about what I saw yesterday. I want a clutch QB and I am not saying that Romo will NEVER be one, I'm just saying he has not produced yet.

Frankly: I'm sick of getting to the playoffs and losing every year we get there. This is old and I'm tired of it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
panther1012;1903819 said:
Dude, I love this team as much as anyone. And I don't care if you ignore me one bit because I will voice my opinion and frustration about what I saw yesterday. I want a clutch QB and I am not saying that Romo will NEVER be one, I'm just saying he has not produced yet.

Frankly: I'm sick of getting to the playoffs and losing every year we get there. This is old and I'm tired of it.

why did i remove ignore for a minute?

so tell me - what does saying you're going to be on romo's arse till he changes accomplish? it won't help him, only annoy everyone in here with the constant whining and WAH'ing around.

i'm not trying to be anal and say DON'T POST!!! - that's not fair either. but if you tell me all you're going to do is bust on romo's nutsack, why do i care to listen to what you have to say?

btcutter

Reaction score
BALKIS;1903763 said:
First off I'd like say Tony is not Tom Brady. Secondly I'd like to point out go watch the receivers Brady had to work with last year and see the drops they had in the playoffs and watch closely how he was still able to manage his team a victory in the playoffs. Brady had alot of his receivers drop balls last year in the playoffs. He still made it all the way to afc championship game also.

It was Troy Browns play that got the Pat's past the Chargers. Pats had no business being in the AFC title game last yr.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1903343 said:
Well, if Fasano catches the pass before it's a TD and that play never happens. Even the great ones inexplicably miss a wide open receiver once in awhile.

I'm just kind of curious what happened there. He seemed to be arguing that somebody was over there or perhaps somebody ran the wrong route.

One time he didn't have an opportunity as the defender had a free shot at him and he had to sprint to get outside of the pocket and get his feet under him to make the throw far enough to get back to the line of scrimmage. The other time he probably could have thrown it away, although it was under similar circumstances.

I don't see that. He ran quite a bit for him and Dallas needs for him to get the ball into playmaker's hands to win the game, not for him to be running the ball himself. It also didn't help that the pocket collapsed.

Watch the plays again. The Witten throw was designed for Dallas to get a quick out and step out of bounds. Dallas did that, but the Giants read it perfectly and got Witten to stay in bounds. Outside of one play, where he had Barber underneath and it STILL would've been risky given Barber needed to get out of bounds, Dallas sent the receivers deep. On the last INT in particular he had nowhere else to go with the ball but to Glenn. Everybody ran into the endzone and they were all covered.

But let's take a look at an important part of the game that is getting overlooked...the amount of times Dallas had more than 10 yards to go to get a first down, along with what caused them to have more than 10 yards to go.

First half

2nd and 13 - Missed Fasano block on screen pass to Crayton.

There was also a 3rd and 10 on the opening drive with an Owens drop, but other than that, Dallas kept their ability to convert first downs pretty reasonable.

Second Half

3rd and 12 - Fasano dropped TD, Flozell False start

2nd and 18 + 3rd and 13 - Davis personal foul

3rd and 11 - Loss of yardage on running play (Romo later got the first down on a pass to Witten)

3rd and 13 - Sack off of a missed block.

2nd and 24 - sack off a missed block.

3rd and 10 - illegal formation.

3rd and 20 - intentional grounding.

1st and 15 & 3rd and 11 - False start Colombo.

Not to mention that Dallas had 4 drops on the day, two of them could've been worth 14 points. Instead Dallas came away with 3 points.

Romo played pretty well by my look at it. He only made one really bad throw (miss to Owens) which should've never happened had Fasano caught the TD pass beforehand. And as far as throwing decisions, I really didn't see any bad ones. You could count the INT, but he was pretty much forced to throw it there since he had throw and there were no receivers open.

YAKUZA
Nice breakdown.

You could count the INT, but he was pretty much forced to throw it there since he had throw and there were no receivers open.

This was a problem all year IMO. Not so much with Witten and Owens, but Crayton, Hurd and Austin. With as much attention as Owens and Witten received, you'd think at last ONE of these guys could have been open more often and had a breakout year.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Some people need some perspective. The Brady-Moss/Pats perfection machine has clouded everyone's vision of reality. The Brady-Moss/Pats perfection team is a once in a lifetime combination.

I've watched the Cowboys since '67 and in that time period from Landry, Morton, Staubach, White, Jimmy, Aikman and now Phillips and Romo, good teams lose playoff games. It happens. Vela's blog today about the '79 Cowboys playoff loss to the Rams is just one example. By every consideration Landry, Staubach, Dorsett and the Doomsday defense were a greater combination than Malavasi, Ferragamo, Wendell Tyler and Fred "Do it in the Dirt" Dryer, but on that day it didn't happen. It's a game played by humans who make human errors.

We have to improve the team by adding some pieces and go at it next year. That's football. If you can't handle it you might as well quit watching it,(or become a Brady/Pats fan :) ) because it's never gonna change.