News: Tony Romo might return to Cowboys sooner than we think after all

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tony Romo might return to Cowboys sooner than we think after all
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-r...sooner-than-we-think-after-all-142611002.html

The Dallas Cowboys are not planning to place quarterback Tony Romo on injured reserve. This is a pretty strong show of support for his ability to return at some point in the early part of the season.

Romo suffered a broken bone in his back in the preseason and was estimated to miss anywhere from a quarter of the season to half of it while rookie Dak Prescott stewards the ship. Head coach Jason Garrett said Monday that the team wanted to have the most up-to-date medical information on Romo’s back when it made the decision to IR him or not.

Instead, they’ll officially carry him on the active roster for now.

09a811df4fa3865574d588166a273458

Tony Romo might return to the Dallas Cowboys sometime in the first half of the season (Getty Images).

The decision outwardly suggests that Romo will be back in the first half of the season. Placing him on IR would have meant that Romo wouldn’t have been allowed to practice for the first six weeks of the season and would be forced to sit the first eight games minimum. Now, he’s eligible to return prior to that, pending a complication or a change of heart by the team.

He suffered a compression fracture in his L1 vertebra early in the preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks back on Aug. 25, and it was deemed at the time to not be that serious until further medical tests showed how serious it was. That was almost two weeks ago, and club officials and coaches have debated Romo’s health since then.

The decision outwardly suggests that Romo will be back in the first half of the season. Placing him on IR would have meant that Romo wouldn’t have been allowed to practice for the first six weeks of the season and would be forced to sit the first eight games minimum. Now, he’s eligible to return prior to that, pending a complication or a change of heart by the team.

He suffered a compression fracture in his L1 vertebra early in the preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks back on Aug. 25, and it was deemed at the time to not be that serious until further medical tests showed how serious it was. That was almost two weeks ago, and club officials and coaches have debated Romo’s health since then...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the good news.

Now, we get to see the Romorooters lamenting over Romo cutting into Dak's premier playing time. And glossing over the guy is a warrior and willing to do whatever is necessary to lead his team. And it is still his team.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks for the good news.

Now, we get to see the Romorooters lamenting over Romo cutting into Dak's premier playing time. And glossing over the guy is a warrior and willing to do whatever is necessary to lead his team. And it is still his team.
CC, wouldn't "Romorooters" be the ones who love and "root" for him?

Reaction score
Path to the a Sports Journalism Pulitzer.......
Steps
1) write a Dallas Cowboys/Tony Romo article of regurgitated info
2) get a few hundred thousand clicks, heck...maybe a million plus
3) update resume with your expansive following
4) move from yahoo to another sport reporting outfit or even go freelance
5) rinse, repeat....

getting past my cynicism.....I say Romo is ready to return week 5

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hope so. Not that I don't have any confidence in Dak, but Tony still gives the best shot at winning more consistently.
Just hope he doesn't come back too soon! He'll want to play as soon as he can throw a ball, but they need to use better discretion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CC, wouldn't "Romorooters" be the ones who love and "root" for him?
No, think Roto Rooter and what they do with that little squiggly thing, which is the technical term for it. Rooters don't just dislike him as the DC QB, they flat out cannot stand the man and I've never gotten that. I guess some just don't like the Cinderella story as much as Bill Murray and I do.

Gabe

Reaction score
Great, im glad he is doing ok. In terms of football, horrible news as he will just run the team into the ground like he has done his ENTIRE career. It's going to be interesting after seeing Dak light it up... And then Romo comes back and starts with his customary pick 6s and boneheaded plays.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, think Roto Rooter and what they do with that little squiggly thing, which is the technical term for it. Rooters don't just dislike him as the DC QB, they flat out cannot stand the man and I've never gotten that. I guess some just don't like the Cinderella story as much as Bill Murray and I do.
I considered the Roto Rooter angle, but didn't really think of it as trying to get the **** out of the system. :thumbdown:

rynochop

Reaction score
Great, im glad he is doing ok. In terms of football, horrible news as he will just run the team into the ground like he has done his ENTIRE career. It's going to be interesting after seeing Dak light it up... And then Romo comes back and starts with his customary pick 6s and boneheaded plays.
I remember when I first started watching football..it gets easier

Doomsay

Reaction score
"The Dallas Cowboys are not planning to place quarterback Tony Romo on injured reserve. This is a pretty strong show of support for his ability to return at some point in the early part of the season"

Or....wishful thinking on behalf of the no Romo, no contingency planners up in the head office.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Tony has run the team into the ground his whole career huh?

Gabe

Reaction score
I think another aspect to seriously consider, he is not good at all when healthy and can take his team out of games faster than any QB on the planet. It's hard to imagine how effective he will be if playing hurt/scared.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let the guy sit and heal up no matter the situation IMO.

If Dak does well, more reason for them to let Tony sit and heal up.

If Dak does bad, they get another high end draft pick and Tony can still sit and heal.

Tony has given his best and his body is wearing down because of it, there was a time he was the one who had to carry this team because of their lack of drafting Offensive Line. Now they have shored that up and another QB should be able to do something. Either Dak does well and shows enough to say he is the future or they get another high draft pick and go after a Franchise QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yup ......they are gonna get Romo seriously hurt this year.

None of us know what the MRI looks like and QBs have come back from this injury and played a couple of weeks later.

I think the 6-10 week drama was just a bunch of media bs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just hope he doesn't come back too soon! He'll want to play as soon as he can throw a ball, but they need to use better discretion.
If watching Romo during the pretend season when Dak was wowing the league, if he does that Sunday, expect a miracle recovery. And I am joking, Romo will come back as soon as he's cleared because that's who he is. He doesn't think any other QB can lead his team as well as he can and he has visual proof.

I would have liked for him to have taken us to more playoffs and won more games like everyone else wants but when I watch this game, I look for intangibles. Players that make me stand up and take notice and not just because of their play but the way they play the game. Players that remove the $ from the game that so many announcers want to keep foremost. Players that take me back to when these guys had to have part-time jobs to support their pro football habit. Players that could only be taken from the field injured and some refused that, as he tried in SEA.

Yeah, they hate the backwards cap and the trip to Cabo and the "if this is the worst thing to happen to me in my life" statement and the mistakes, the "what the hell was that" throws he'll make 2-3 times a game, like to call him a choker and never mention the comeback wins and competitive level of the man. But one thing you will never hear them mention, his lack of courage and willingness to take one for his team. And when he comes back, he'll still stand in there and hold it too long trying to make a play with little regard for his safety. And I will continue to complain about that.

He's not my favorite Cowboys QB or the best but there's no other player that has ever worn that Star that I would want in my foxhole more than Tony. It is just a game...until someone makes you take notice of something more important than that within it.