Twitter: Tony Romo on how Dak Prescott has grown since rookie year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
"All of a sudden the organization has gotten him 2.3.4 WRs..."

Cliffs - THANKS Cowboys for giving my successor all these weapons.
Can't say they didn't try. They traded a 1st for Amari Cooper and traded a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams lol. TO was one of the best receivers of all time...Miles Austin was great until the hammy issues...Crayton was a solid slot receiver. Dez and Witten were beasts.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Can't say they didn't try. They traded a 1st for Amari Cooper and traded a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams lol. TO was one of the best receivers of all time...Miles Austin was great until the hammy issues...Crayton was a solid slot receiver. Dez and Witten were beasts.

They had playmakers and I don't think he was calling it out that way. They were always trying on offense and once the line got fixed it became real good, but health became the issue.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Get you somebody who looks at you like Tony looks at you.....
r162049_600x400_3-2.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tony has always appreciated Dak.
Likes him personally, as well as a football player.
We saw them out dining together a couple of times during Dak's rookie year, and Romo has said he was a sponge.

The great thing for Dak (and the Cowboys!) is that he is hitting his prime when the team around him is also ready rounding into shape, on both sides of the ball.

Just to compare situations at this stage of football maturity:
  • Dak has started 77 games and has really grown into the position. And look how bright things are. The team is locked and loaded. Young, talented, hungry, and well-coached.
  • In 2012, when Tony had started 77 games and was starting to really know the game, the team was was aging and awful. Terrible offensive line, poor defense and getting worse (32nd ranked in 2013), so-so weapons, terrible coaching.
We have a chance here to see something really special.
We should all be excited!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All talented players, but never did Romo have 3 wideouts and a RB tandem as good as we have now with an o-line to boot. Not even close really.
That's arguable, because offensive talent wasn't really *that* much of an issue during his tenure. The offense has always been pretty high performing. It was the defense that was up and down.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
All talented players, but never did Romo have 3 wideouts and a RB tandem as good as we have now with an o-line to boot. Not even close really.

I dunno man.. T.O., Terry Glenn and Patrick Crayton was a really good trio. Maybe not as good as this group but a hall of famer and a multiple 1000 yard season receiver aint to be sneezed at. And the teams that had Dez and Austin as the two primaries weren't no joke either. Oh and did I mention the hall of fame tight end Romo played his entire career with? And the 2014 o-line was light years better than this current version. And the running back was the NFL's leading rusher.. sooooo...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Plus, that really balanced and talented team in 2007 was when Romo had not really grown into the intelligent QB that he would eventually be.
He's said so multiple times.
2014 Romo takes the 2007 team to the SB to face the Pats, no doubt.
It's just was what it was. He got better later, but the team around him got worse, until 2014

I think 2021 Dak leads Dallas to a home win vs GB in 2016 as well, btw. He played well then, but 2021 Dak does not throw that redzone int against a truly awful GB defense.
He's just a better player now

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That's arguable, because offensive talent wasn't really *that* much of an issue during his tenure. The offense has always been pretty high performing. It was the defense that was up and down.

Yeah.. and more down than up.. But early in his career the defense was pretty much always top 10.. They were 9th in '07 8th in '08 and 9th again in '09. They never got any higher than 17th the rest of his time.. Definitely a failure by the front office not to field a better defense.

Swagger

Reaction score
Plus, that really balanced and talented team in 2007 was when Romo had not really grown into the intelligent QB that he would eventually be.
He's said so multiple times.
2014 Romo takes the 2007 team to the SB to face the Pats, no doubt.
It's just was what it was. He got better later, but the team around him got worse, until 2014

I think 2021 Dak leads Dallas to a home win vs GB in 2016 as well, btw. He played well then, but 2021 Dak does not throw that redzone int against a truly awful GB defense.
He's just a better player now
Plus rather than messing around for the best part of opening two quarters in 2016, the Cowboys decimate the Packers' secondary from the off as it was truly horrific. Proper guys off the street stuff but because the Cowboys went with a rookie QB they didn't open up the play book until it was too late.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I dunno man.. T.O., Terry Glenn and Patrick Crayton was a really good trio. Maybe not as good as this group but a hall of famer and a multiple 1000 yard season receiver aint to be sneezed at. And the teams that had Dez and Austin as the two primaries weren't no joke either. Oh and did I mention the hall of fame tight end Romo played his entire career with? And the 2014 o-line was light years better than this current version. And the running back was the NFL's leading rusher.. sooooo...
Romo was only in his 2nd season as a starter back then. He just did not know the game the way he eventually would....which is normal.
Fwiw,
  • I think Crayton would be the 4th or 5th best WR on this team.
  • TO was a monster but in his mid 30s and was a fraction of his self come 2007 playoff time due to injuries.
  • Terry Glenn didn't even play in 2007 except a few downs. Out of the league after that.

Last edited: