Twitter: Tony Romo on how Dak Prescott has grown since rookie year

Trendnet

Reaction score
exactly.

We had half a seasons worth of playoffs games from Tony.

Not ONCE did he show he could carry this team to the promise land. Meanwhile Dak + this offense made Bill Belicheck look like a rookie head coach despite Bill shutting down vets like Brady, Matt Ryan etc this season.

That's a lot of words to say "I don't understand football".

RaZon

Reaction score
Saw some fire out of Dak last week, need more of that. More emotions.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Saw some fire out of Dak last week, need more of that. More emotions.

Yeah the lack of fire against Denver was the first clue that he was off that day because Dak is usually a pretty firy dude. I'm gonna chalk it up to rust and the time change.. Unless of course it happens again.. in which case I will want his locker checked for edibles.. LOL!

RaZon

Reaction score
Yeah the lack of fire against Denver was the first clue that he was off that day because Dak is usually a pretty firy dude. I'm gonna chalk it up to rust and the time change.. Unless of course it happens again.. in which case I will want his locker checked for edibles.. LOL!

Not enough is made of that time change deal, it's a big deal as is field surface. Turf teams on grass, grass teams on turf, it matters.

Zeke ran for a first down vs Denver, he simply handed the ball to the ref.....ouch!!!!!!!! Zeke sets the stage.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not enough is made of that time change deal, it's a big deal as is field surface. Turf teams on grass, grass teams on turf, it matters.

Zeke ran for a first down vs Denver, he simply handed the ball to the ref.....ouch!!!!!!!! Zeke sets the stage.

Yeah it certainly got me.. it took me until well into the evening to feel "normal" that day. I know that if I had to do anything competitive that day I would have been well below optimum. Some teams just handled it better I think. At first I thought it should favor the road teams because they were all at the hotel and not having to deal with the body clock screwing that you do when you're at home .. but then several of the big upsets that weekend were home teams beating heavily favored road teams.. I am at a loss to explain it.. but I know it's a real thing..

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yeah T.O., Glenn, Austin and Dez were complete stumblebums that Tony was stuck with.
2014 Divisional Round vs GB

Dez Bryant. - Blue chip player.
Cole Beasley - Vast majority of this forum wanted him gone.
Terrance Williams - Entire forum wanted him gone.
Jason Witten - Thought of as past his prime, slow and old, progress stopper.

All of them gone very soon to become 'Dak friendly'.

So yea, according to this forum and apparently management.... a bunch of stumble bums.

Big_D

Reaction score
What’s funny is people mention 2007 and then have to fast forward all the way to 2014 when talking about how good the team was. Fact is between those 2 years Jerry screwed the team and the QB with one ridiculous decision after another. 2007. First full season and ready for a nice run, 2014.. 34 years old and still waiting for a competent HC and front office. What Dak has today is far superior in every way.. even with injuries and a pandemic!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

"through his ability to learn football"

QBs who learn and improve are gold. Romo kept improving. Was at his best in 2014.

Dak shows a similar trajectory.
Improved a lot - pocket presence and deep ball accuracy. Probably seeing the field better too. Still seems strangely iffy on short passes in the flat to RBs, though maybe a little better this year. Could be better at ball placement. Can fit it into windows in coverage, but often doesn't select the best spot in an open window. That's the kind of thing all QBs get better at as the years go by. I expect Dak will improve on that too.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
2014 Divisional Round vs GB

Dez Bryant. - Blue chip player.
Cole Beasley - Vast majority of this forum wanted him gone.
Terrance Williams - Entire forum wanted him gone.
Jason Witten - Thought of as past his prime, slow and old, progress stopper.

All of them gone very soon to become 'Dak friendly'.

So yea, according to this forum and apparently management.... a bunch of stumble bums.

In 2014, Tony had an MVP type year with Dunbar, Escobar, Hanna, Street, Clutts, and Williams out in the pattern. Guys who simply evaporated from the league.

Are you gonna tell me that WItten *wasn't* well past his prime in 2014?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yep...........all the Dak haters were dead wrong. They didnt understand the simple concept that a guy like Dak not only had great talent, but would improve his craft with is work ethic and leadership.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Yeah T.O., Glenn, Austin and Dez were complete stumblebums that Tony was stuck with.
At the peak of their careers they were great and they mostly all had talent.... buuut: T.O and Dez both were drama queens, especially T.O. Tony had to always look at Dez first even if he wasn't open and Dez was severely limited on the route tree. Every receiver we have now knows and can run the routes better than Dez... Glenn was at the end of his career and lost multiple steps and never had great hands. Austin was incredible when healthy but when was he healthy? Witten is a HOF tight end but his RAC ability left long before the end of his career. He would catch anything but went down immediately. Witten is one of my favorite all time players but in his prime there was very little else and by the time they got all the tools (See above) he was a shadow of his former self. Also when Tony finally had a pretty good wr corps, his oline was a hot mess.. remember tony almost getting killed in the playoff game? And don't even talk about Crayton. OMG if there was ever a more overrated player.

Last edited:

Xeven

Reaction score
It also helps Jerry removed the ball and chain attached to Garret. We have two SB winning coaches and an Amazing OC.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
In 2014, Tony had an MVP type year with Dunbar, Escobar, Hanna, Street, Clutts, and Williams out in the pattern. Guys who simply evaporated from the league.

Are you gonna tell me that WItten *wasn't* well past his prime in 2014?
I guess I didn't do a very good job of making my point.

I was replying to @RonnieT24 when he threw out a bunch of names to suggest Romo had the same, or at least near the same quality of receivers Dak has.

I was making the point that he really only had Dez as a blue chip receiver and the rest of the guys were thought of as jags, or over the hill, and were gone pretty quickly once Dak took over.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Tony is great QB at X and O stuff, but don't feel like he can make his teammates bring their A game, week in and week out. Locker room leadership like Dak and Brady and Rodgers demand from their teamates. That trip to Cabo didn't help

Big_D

Reaction score
Tony is great QB at X and O stuff, but don't feel like he can make his teammates bring their A game, week in and week out. Locker room leadership like Dak and Brady and Rodgers demand from their teamates. That trip to Cabo didn't help

The coach told them to go to Cabo, that's the funny part. I wonder if McCarthy will tell the team to take a vacation?

Last edited: