Tony Romo will be featured on A Football Life this upcoming Friday

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Aka I had zero faith Romo would ever lead this team to anything of significance. And no matter how much you beat your **** and drool over him that fact will never change. Everyone backs Dak because he is starting right now. If he can't get it done lets hope the front office figures it out quicker than 10 years this time.

Wrong.

And you simply didn't answer the question - you're overly dramatic with the "forgiveness" crap with a QB making a mistake outside of his natural position.

Also, didn't that flub with the ball actually push forward a significant rule change by the NFL anyways?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Saw the commercial. Heartbreaking when he said the Bryant no catch might have been the best throw of his career.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So a missed field goal on the last play that would've won the game has the same impact as a missed field goal on the opening drive of the game? They're certainly both worth 3 points, but I think it's safe to say that the end-of-game miss is waaaaaay more impactful than the opening drive miss. Did that last missed field goal cost the game? Absolutely! You can't say that absolutely in the case of the opening drive miss. There would still be 55 or so plays after the opening drive to factor in the missed points in the game strategy where there is none after the last play of the game.

Um, no it is not more impactful. The fact that the fg at the end is a "decider" is a result of all the other plays in the game. A game is won amd lost on the sum of all plays in a game. Every play is important. Early plays dictate late plays. It's all interconnected. Three points earlier affects the need for 3 points later. The impact is not greater at the end than the beginning, it is merely closer to the final result.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Um, no it is not more impactful. The fact that the fg at the end is a "decider" is a result of all the other plays in the game. A game is won amd lost on the sum of all plays in a game. Every play is important. Early plays dictate late plays. It's all interconnected. Three points earlier affects the need for 3 points later. The impact is not greater at the end than the beginning, it is merely closer to the final result.

This is true from a purely numerical standpoint. Although it could be argued that things like missed field goals, playing with a lead/not playing with a lead, etc has an affect on the psychological part of the game.

However, the psychological part of the game is truly immeasurable and obviously every player in the league is different psychologically. So from a strictly numerical standpoint, you’re right there is no difference.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
doll.jpg

JustChip

Reaction score

With due respect, you are simply wrong in the particular scenario I provided. It's no simpler than can you say with 100% certainty after the game is over that either play by itself changed the outcome of the game? The answer is unequivocally yes in the case of the end-of-game field goal miss and only possibly in the case of the initial drive miss. The only way to change the possibly to an unequivocal yes is if you could say every play thereafter would be exactly the same with exactly the same result regardless of result of that initial drive FG. Any reasonably intelligent person, which you appear to be, would have to agree that would not be the case.

In the case of the original debate, that the bobbled snap and inability to kick the field goal, it cannot be stated unequivocally that play altered the outcome of the game. Even if that field goal is made, Seattle still gets the ball at the 20 at worst case and the defense still has to stop them. But it is just as unequivocal that it had a greater impact because of when it occurred which limited the # of potential plays remaining in which to overcome that one play.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So Crayton can stop being blamed for his 3rd quarter drop and for stopping his route on the last possession. Hallelujah!! :muttley:

I love when we can cross excuses off the list.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
He did throw a pick on fourth down
So Crayton can stop being blamed for his 3rd quarter drop and for stopping his route on the last possession. Hallelujah!! :muttley:

I love when we can cross excuses off the list.

Throw in the 4th down pick in the end zone, and that should cover the entire game. :thumbup:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He did throw a pick on fourth down

Throw in the 4th down pick in the end zone, and that should cover the entire game. :thumbup:
And the wide open pass to TO in the red zone which should have been a TD.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
You can always tell the fake fans, they pretend to be upset that a fading 9-7 team who had to win three road games to even get to the Super Bowl was put out of their misery. I doubt they were even born in 2006.
Now 2007 and 2016, those were real missed opportunities.

The '07 playoff loss was the hardest to take during Tony's years, but I could feel it coming after TO's high ankle sprain two weeks prior. After the Giants D beat GB and manhandled NE, I got over it. Also, if you want to make Tom Brady laugh, tell him the 2007 Cowboys had a defense. They smoked us. I never felt like that team was a real contender to actually win the super bowl since it seemed obvious that NE would be there.

In terms of pre-season expectations, the '08 squad was the one that actually disappointed me the most, but by the end it was obvious they weren't going anywhere.

zerofill

Reaction score
I swear everytime I watch that replay I think he's actually not gonna fumble it. That had to be my most heartbreaking loss to watch as a fan. Never forgave Romo for that.

I've always been ticked off at coaches for having the starting QB hold snaps... that stopped after the 80s.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
With due respect, you are simply wrong in the particular scenario I provided. It's no simpler than can you say with 100% certainty after the game is over that either play by itself changed the outcome of the game? The answer is unequivocally yes in the case of the end-of-game field goal miss and only possibly in the case of the initial drive miss. The only way to change the possibly to an unequivocal yes is if you could say every play thereafter would be exactly the same with exactly the same result regardless of result of that initial drive FG. Any reasonably intelligent person, which you appear to be, would have to agree that would not be the case.

In the case of the original debate, that the bobbled snap and inability to kick the field goal, it cannot be stated unequivocally that play altered the outcome of the game. Even if that field goal is made, Seattle still gets the ball at the 20 at worst case and the defense still has to stop them. But it is just as unequivocal that it had a greater impact because of when it occurred which limited the # of potential plays remaining in which to overcome that one play.

Just because you know what the result would be if one specific play was changed to another specific result does not make it more impactful. If a game is that close then any play changed to another result could change the game. You can't just pick one and say that is the cause. They are all the cause and all have just as much ability to alter the outcome of the game equally. The outcomes of other plays resulted in the game being in the position of whatever play is at the end of the game. You can only look at the whole.

"More time after" is not an argument. You have a lot of time before a late game play.

JustChip

Reaction score
Just because you know what the result would be if one specific play was changed to another specific result does not make it more impactful. If a game is that close then any play changed to another result could change the game. You can't just pick one and say that is the cause. They are all the cause and all have just as much ability to alter the outcome of the game equally. The outcomes of other plays resulted in the game being in the position of whatever play is at the end of the game. You can only look at the whole.

"More time after" is not an argument. You have a lot of time before a late game play.

That's true; the result of every play impacts every other play thereafter. But you can't say that failing to get a first down with 4:32 left in the first quarter when you're on your own 31 yard line absolutely made the difference between winning and losing like you can for a field goal kick on the last play of game.

And absolutely more time is a valid argument. A good analogy are stock options - their value is based upon the underlying prices of the strike price vs. the stock price with a time value adjustment. An option is worth less each passing day even if the price of the stock does not move because you are losing time available for the outcome to change. No different with the Romo bobbled snap - there were far fewer plays after that to recover and, therefore, a lower probability of overcoming it. Sure, Seattle could've fumbled the ensuing snap and Dallas recovered it, but what was the probability of that? And, as I remember, Dallas did ultimately stop Seattle and forced them to punt so they had another play, but it the probability of success was infinitesimal because the distance and time were insurmountable.

We're simply going to have to agree to disagree.