Tony Romo would easily win the Super Bowl with this team

Flamma

Reaction score
Wouldn't go that far just yet. Yes the NO win was a huge defensive effort. But beating a Commanders team with backup McCoy, beating the Eagles with their missing a lot of defensive players, beating the Falcons who are currently a 4-8 team, a 4-8 Giants team and a 4-9 Jags team doesn't put them in elite status to this point.

It's a young defense that will probably get better, and there's not been a great defense for several years, yes, but overall I'm not willing to call them a great defense until they beat a couple more good teams....

I just said this is the best D we've had in a long time. That isn't saying a lot considering what we've had over the years. A defense doesn't have to be elite to be better than any Cowboys D going back to '96.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Romo never had a defense this good. Just D Ware and scrubs. Romo never had Zeke. Amari, Gallup, Hurns, and Beasley is a deep WR core. I am actually a Romo hater but even I can see the obvious.

No he wouldn't. Too many ill timed INTs and I'll say it "stupid, really really really beyond belief stupidity moments..." Did I like him? Yes, but did I think Super Bowl with him? nope...I never had the moment I felt with Staubach or Aikman...and sadly, don't feel that way with Dak. Yet, Dak is the QB now we are riding with...Tony is gone...so going back and wishing can be fun, but it's not going to result in change. If we don't like Dak, can we agree that we just need to get a young gun to come in and really compete?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I just said this is the best D we've had in a long time. That isn't saying a lot considering what we've had over the years. A defense doesn't have to be elite to be better than any Cowboys D going back to '96.
Dallas had a top 3 offense and a top 10 defense and a top 5 defense in sacks and takeaways in 2007. He didnt win a superbowl then.

Flamma

Reaction score
Romo never had a defense this good. Just D Ware and scrubs. Romo never had Zeke. Amari, Gallup, Hurns, and Beasley is a deep WR core. I am actually a Romo hater but even I can see the obvious.

I agree with the bold, but as far as offense goes, Romo had IMO plenty of talent on offense throughout his career.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Well
Maybe but Jerry wouldn’t build this kind of team around him cause he wouldn’t think he needed it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You are probably right.

Romo would have been great with these WRs.

Hurns is good, but he doesn't get much play with Gallup busing out and all the other receiving talent on the team.

I also like how Dak is not dependent on a few guys.

He spreads it out.

It's only going to get better when Austin comes back to the offense.

And I have a sneaking suspicion Dak is going to win a Super Bowl, with these guys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dallas had a top 3 offense and a top 10 defense and a top 5 defense in sacks and takeaways in 2007. He didnt win a superbowl then.
First full year of starting. And as we know; it doesnt always work out.

That was a good team though.

Fwiw, I think the OP was assuming a 2014 Romo. Even then, we saw a 19-0 Pats team lose in a SB in that 2007 season, so you never know.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree with the bold, but as far as offense goes, Romo had IMO plenty of talent on offense throughout his career.
Im a Romo fan, but he DID, on rare occassion, have a good D.
in 2007. And 2009 was good, though they were falling apart with age and injuries.

Mostly crap defenses though, yes

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I actually would love to have seen how a fully healthy Romo season would have been if Cooper would have been here at that time.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Romo behind this line would be dead. Even Bryan Broadus acknowledges that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Romo is gone. So live with it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
We paid Romo 126 mill to start 10 seasons make the playoffs 4 times and get 2 wins . That is lousy value for the money spent . Romo was not Elite and not good enough to elevate us . He was worth half that and we could have paid a defense that would have been able to make enough stops to get us farther .

In 3 seasons Dak will have made the playoffs twice for a bit over 2 mil and allowed us to have a power running game and a good defense . That is good value and a great supporting cast is more valuable than just one guy especially to our dysfunctional franchise .
Romo would never win a SB first because his body was shot second because his contract made it impossible to put enough good players around him to get it done .

He was never Brady ,Rodgers or Breese guys who could get you to the dance with little to work with . Romo was a second level guy that struggled to get the team to 8-8. Face the facts and move on

Blackrain

Reaction score
I actually would love to have seen how a fully healthy Romo season would have been if Cooper would have been here at that time.
I would rather have seen the Roger have OJ Simpson in the backfield on the 73 team and bet we would have won the SB. Romo could have Jerry Rice on the team and there would still be no guarantees

Eddie

Reaction score
No he wouldn't. Too many ill timed INTs and I'll say it "stupid, really really really beyond belief stupidity moments..." Did I like him? Yes, but did I think Super Bowl with him? nope...I never had the moment I felt with Staubach or Aikman...and sadly, don't feel that way with Dak. Yet, Dak is the QB now we are riding with...Tony is gone...so going back and wishing can be fun, but it's not going to result in change. If we don't like Dak, can we agree that we just need to get a young gun to come in and really compete?

I totally agree. Stat machine Romo never had it when it came to the big game.

JustChip

Reaction score
That is also true.

QB talent wise though, its not really even a debate.

I agree with this statement if you're talking about pure passing skills. But playing QB isn't a skills contest like they used to have after the season was over. I liken it to Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Great exhibition of individual skills, but not really pertinent to daily, real life functioning.

I believe Dak's passing skills are good enough at this point and he brings other skills to the table to compensate/compliment. He should also get better in all aspects of the position as he continues to gain experience (and have no doubt, the Cowboys are going to extend him so he's going to get ample opportunity to grow). As Romo said, by the time he retired, there was nothing a defense could do that he hadn't seen. Dak should be the same in 10 years as well.

Now, whether we get to a Super Bowl with Dak depends on way more than Dak, including a little bit of plain ole luck.

Last edited:

lk8701

Reaction score
First full year of starting. And as we know; it doesnt always work out.

That was a good team though.

Fwiw, I think the OP was assuming a 2014 Romo. Even then, we saw a 19-0 Pats team lose in a SB in that 2007 season, so you never know.

Yes. The mature and responsible version of Romo. Not the reckless, young, dating celebrities gunslinger.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Romo wouldn’t have survived the first three games behind this OL especially without Dez and Witten. Amari wasn’t here the first 7 games. Our pass protection has been dreadful this season.