TonyPauline: Hearing right now Poe/DT/Memphis is the favorite in the Cowboys war room

reddyuta

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4490396 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and extras my unpopular opinion on this. I like him a lot more than Upshaw, Brockers and Dre. I think those are all average players in the NFL and even though my draft philopsophy is to hit in the first round and swing big in the middle rounds, those 3 players aren't necessarily hits either as they all have major flaws.

Rob Ryan loves big NT's. He had Ted Washington and Shaun Rodgers. Rodgers was an superme athlete and he played well for Ryan. Poe has an unlimited ceiling and it hasn't hurt that a few guys such as Mayock have come away impressed.

And as for the plays off? He certanitly does take plays off. A lot of players do in college and in the pros. I'm not making an excuse for him, but a year in an NFL weight room should help his conditioning and I think that will result in a lesser percentage of "bad" plays.

I am just going to say that this defense will be transformed if we hit on him and he turns out to be a force in the middle,its just a huge risk though.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fletch;4490314 said:
I would love to have him here too. Too many have their predictions or pet cats, but Poe is a more athletic version of Sapp in my opinion.

The big difference is that Sapp produced in college... Poe?

Not so much.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4490405 said:
We need #14 to contribute immediately, not 2 years from now.

That's bad drafting philosophy. You take the player you think will be the best for the duration of the career, not in year 1. Draft BPA, not a player that fills a need.

The Packers took Aaron Rodgers at #25, didn't help at all immediately. But eventually was the BPA and they sacrificed 3 years to let him develop.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
one day I want this guy badly the next I do not want to touch him.

I do think one of the biggest weaknesses on Dallas is lack of size at DT.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NeonDeion21;4490416 said:
That's bad drafting philosophy. You take the player you think will be the best for the duration of the career, not in year 1. Draft BPA, not a player that fills a need.

That's fine for a guy outside of the first round.

But a first rounder-- Especially that high up in the draft needs to be able to come in and play a bunch of quality snaps pretty quickly.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Maybe there is something to the hiring of Lett.

Both are big guys who came into the league full of potential. Let Leon personally mentor this guy.

For all the folks that say Ryan has had success with big guys. He had Rodgers in Cleveland, but when Rodgers was cut last year....did we call him? I wonder why.

I'm not a fan of Poe. If you don't look good on tape, you won't play good on Sunday.

Cox, Barron or Konz will be the pick.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4490419 said:

But a first rounder-- Especially that high up in the draft needs to be able to come in and play a bunch of quality snaps pretty quickly.

Not a fan of this pick but make no mistake about it... he would absolutely come in and play right away. We wouldn't take him if we thought otherwise. How "quality" the snaps would be is a different question.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4490419 said:

Why? We don't grade drafts off their rookie year. We base them on how they are 5 years from now. Get the best players regardless if they will help you now or later.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I would rather "Reach" for Cordy Glenn @ 14 then gamble on No Production Poe...

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4490405 said:
We need #14 to contribute immediately, not 2 years from now.

Haven't you heard, we are stacked at every position and we can afford to draft special teams and guys who can learn for a bit

Signed
Cowboys 2009 Draft

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4490426 said:
Why? We don't grade drafts off their rookie year. We base them on how they are 5 years from now. Get the best players regardless if they will help you now or later.

It's obviously best that the guy helps now and in the future. Maybe it's not the end all be all, but it's definitely relevant if the guy doesn't project to help now. This isn't the NBA... NFL teams don't generally trip all over themselves for "potential."

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;4490433 said:
I would rather "Reach" for Cordy Glenn @ 14 then gamble on No Production Poe...

I am glad you bolded "reach" because he might seem to a reach to most fans. But not me. This guy is a natural guard who dominated Ingram, Coples, Upshaw at the Senior Bowl at LT! He is a dominant player and who will take his lumps early, but you will be amazed with the end result.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NeonDeion21;4490426 said:

I understand that.

But this team isn't loaded with talent, let's not forget that it's 14-18 over the past two seasons and there are holes all over the roster... And to draft someone at #14 who can't contribute immediately would be a massive crime.

RS12

Reaction score
Calm down folks. He is probably the apple of the eye of one of the 13 teams in front of us too. This could be a smoke screen because they may really want Coples. The fact the his college position coach talked crap about him is a not a good sign IMO. If they really do like him, they probably envision using as a mismatch as opposed to NT.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4490450 said:
I understand that.

But this team isn't loaded with talent, let's not forget that it's 14-18 over the past two seasons and there are holes all over the roster... And to draft someone at #14 who can't contribute immediately would be a massive crime.

I agree with you to a point. But I don't see where it is cut and dry that Poe couldn't contribute right away. And if he can't in year one, it still wouldn't make me shy away from him. But playing right away certainly helps.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4490450 said:
I understand that.

I think if the Cowboys did take him he would be starting. As I have said Poe would not be my pick but I don't think it is a bad pick.

fortdick

Reaction score
I like the idea of hooking up with Lindsey Lohan, but I wouldn't marry the *****! She has too many issues to invest that much in.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Pauline was all over the place last year with Cowboys predictions. He just threw everything against the wall until something stuck. I distinctly remember him saying we were going after Cam Jordan last year. He may have a "source" with the Cowboys, but it's probably a low level regional scout, not a real decision maker.