TonyPauline: Hearing right now Poe/DT/Memphis is the favorite in the Cowboys war room

egn22

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4490372 said:
I posted something similar in the other Poe thread, but I wanted to post it here so others can have the chance to ignore it.

His coaching at Memphis was flat out terrible. TERRIBLE. They were all just ousted in January after going 3-21 in only two seasons. Two of those three wins were against non FBS opponents and many of the losses were blow-outs. Just one of the worst FBS teams I have ever watched.

Poe has been playing under a group of coaches that did not get the best out of any player on that roster, including him. He certainly took some plays off, but so did a lot of players on that embarrassment of a team.

I do not know if Poe would be a good pick for Dallas. He needs a coaching staff that will push hard on him and reverse the mentality that he took on while at Memphis. He also needs leaders on the field that will get in his face if he is taking plays off. I think Dallas has the first ingredient, but I do not think the second one is there.

If the right team gets this kid and they show him how to do things, he could end up being a force. If the wrong one drafts him and just expects him to come to work each day, then he will indeed end up being a bust. I tend to worry Dallas is in the later category.

One amazing thing about the dude is his balance. I have not seen him on the ground often and that is after double, sometimes triple teams. He has the skills to be a force on the field.

:laugh2:

Definitely not ignored. thanks man, good read, good ideas. i didn't consider that the coaching was horrid.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
I'm sorry. "Reporting" that the Cowboys were interested in Brandon Carr before FA started is as much ground-breaking as reporting the sun coming up. So excuse me if I don't quite bite on this. Now, if SDogo or Hos come in saying the same thing, then I'll start to believe it. Until then, I won't lose a wink of sleep.

TVMan

Reaction score
Pretty certain he has only played football for about 5 years. He was recruited from his High School band by the Coach. He is green and still has to mature as a football player. That could explain a lack of intensity due to lack of experience and not so good coaching.

Let our strength coach and position coaches get a hold of him. How often do guys with this kind of ability come around? How often do you actually have a shot at drafting them?

If he is there, you should.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
rkell87;4490309 said:
lklk.jpg

LOL I was about to put up that exact same jpg.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jswalker1981;4490519 said:
I'm sorry. "Reporting" that the Cowboys were interested in Brandon Carr before FA started is as much ground-breaking as reporting the sun coming up. So excuse me if I don't quite bite on this. Now, if SDogo or Hos come in saying the same thing, then I'll start to believe it. Until then, I won't lose a wink of sleep.
This.....

ceerrece

Reaction score
Man, i hope it doesn't happen... maybe he has some bad coaches in college, but that's not an excuse.. see the example of Bruce Irvin, despite the bad coaching, he did exactly the opposite and found a way to exploit his skills. (sorry for my bad english)

Gaede

Reaction score
Really doubt Poe is their guy.

Maybe they're looking into him all of a sudden just to see if they're right/wrong about him

Garrett seems to me a pretty good scout of players. I don't think he would endorse a guy who looks bad on tape.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys would take Michael Brockers over Poe, Cox, and Coples. Brockers is the purest 5 technique, and Poe and Cox are raw pass rushers just like Brockers, too. According to Charlie Casserly, Coples would not be a good fit as a 5 technique based on his tape at North Carolina. So, Coples would probably be a situational pass rusher in Dallas' scheme. I think Coples is a 43 player.

I think Poe's best use may be as a 3 technique based on my research. Carolina will most likely draft Coples, Brockers, or Poe.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4490580 said:
How often have we heard this before?
At NT never, the Cowboys have never been in position to take a slobber knocker like this at the position.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4490509 said:
Pauline was all over the place last year with Cowboys predictions. He just threw everything against the wall until something stuck. I distinctly remember him saying we were going after Cam Jordan last year. He may have a "source" with the Cowboys, but it's probably a low level regional scout, not a real decision maker.

and whats wrong with being a low level regional scout Mr.!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Oh please don't let this be true.

He just has too much uncertainty about him.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
By the way, you can all relax. 3 days ago it was Ingram, then the Barron article came out and now it's Poe. I promise you the Cowboys have not sold their soul to the devil for anyone yet. Yes, they probably have a top 5 or so they are focusing on at this point and Poe may be in the group but Pauline surely does not know and neither do I or Hos or anyone else besides the guys making the final decision. Pauline was just reporting what he heard and it's probably right, the Cowboys probably do like Poe as do several teams but there is a handful of other players they like as well and we are not even considering a player or two that might drop and possible trades which can blow it all to heck.

I understand the concern with Poe, I have the same concerns but to put my 2 cents in, I would put more weight into the Ingram and Barron articles then this one. In the end, I think they will kick the tires but will have other options they prefer. I just have not heard anything that makes me believe this is the guy they must have.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4490419 said:
That's fine for a guy outside of the first round.

But a first rounder-- Especially that high up in the draft needs to be able to come in and play a bunch of quality snaps pretty quickly.

Completely disagree. You are essentially saying draft for need in round 1.

Draft players for their projected careers. Any production you get year 1 is a bonus.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NeonDeion21;4490416 said:
That's bad drafting philosophy. You take the player you think will be the best for the duration of the career, not in year 1. Draft BPA, not a player that fills a need.

The Packers took Aaron Rodgers at #25, didn't help at all immediately. But eventually was the BPA and they sacrificed 3 years to let him develop.

Smart man. Listen to this guy.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope this is wrong only because nobody outside of the organization should have this information.

This is in house stuff that needs to be kept in house.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Risen Star;4490635 said:
I hope this is wrong only because nobody outside of the organization should have this information.

This is in house stuff that needs to be kept in house.

Especially since Jerry singled out Poe the other day talking about how much they liked him. If this is their true target, then I'm going to dislike it just because they are telling everyone a month before the draft.

Woods

Reaction score
28 Joker;4490596 said:
I think the Cowboys would take Michael Brockers over Poe, Cox, and Coples. Brockers is the purest 5 technique, and Poe and Cox are raw pass rushers just like Brockers, too. According to Charlie Casserly, Coples would not be a good fit as a 5 technique based on his tape at North Carolina. So, Coples would probably be a situational pass rusher in Dallas' scheme. I think Coples is a 43 player.

I think Poe's best use may be as a 3 technique based on my research. Carolina will most likely draft Coples, Brockers, or Poe.

I think Coples would play better as a 43 end as well.

You are probably right that the Cowboys prefer Brockers over Poe, Cox, and Coples, but nevertheless, while Brockers is intruiging, I don't think he's going to bring much of a pass rush. Yes, I think he can help control the LOS, set the edge, hopefully push the pocket, but I don't see him as a dynamic player.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the skill set I mentioned above. And to have a successful 34 defense, it is necessary.

My issue is does that player have to be the 14th overall pick in the NFL Draft?

Why not get a more dynamic player at 14? Or at least more of a sure thing. There are a lot of projections that Brockers will develop into more of a pass rusher, etc. Maybe he will, but it doesn't seem that is necessarily his best set of skills.

Woods

Reaction score
ThreeandOut;4490644 said:
Especially since Jerry singled out Poe the other day talking about how much they liked him. If this is there true target, then I'm going to dislike it just because they are telling everyone a month before the draft.

That's why I think it's a smoke screen.

Just giving too much info on him ....