TonyPauline: Hearing right now Poe/DT/Memphis is the favorite in the Cowboys war room

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4491274 said:
The difference is if he wasn't an unknown, he would be top 5. The risk is the only reason why we would get a chance at him at all.

It does depend on your risk tolerance, and right now I don't mind risk for us if the reward is high. And you know one thing, a guy like Nicks hit free agency, but a guy like Ngata won't see free agency. There were similar questions when the Ravens took Ngata, but they took the chance, and in this case I ain't scared.

Ngata outproduced him in a bigger conference and suffered an ACL injury along the way.

People want there to be similarities to justify the pick but they aren't there.

Well, I guess they are both heavy.

bpfred

Reaction score
Doomsday;4490301 said:
I know a lot of people on this site are down on Poe, but I would love to see him in a Cowboys uniform.
I am right there with you. I see him as a lot more than a run stuffer. He's huge, can move, and has plenty of explosiveness. I think he's along the lines of a Ngata, Rogers, or Raji. I don't know how anybody can look at this guy--his size and the way he moves, and not be completely impressed.

Barring injury I think he's going to be a special player--IMO he's going to be one of, if not the most, physically gifted players in the league at his position.

As far as the tape not matching the measurables, I don't buy any of it. He's a 350lb DL on a defense with no help. He's playing against a lot of spread offenses--it's not exactly conducive dominating a game. You don't have to be an offensive genuis to game plan against a defense like that...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
btcutter;4491276 said:
Poe vs Ngata? Seriously? Ngata was a beast in college. Poe....was Jane.

Watch the film and you realize he's an ATHLETE but NOT A GREAT Football player. He look lost and slow. Can't find the ball carrier.

Your first rounder suppose to step in and contribute at a high level and with upside for All Pro. Projects are reserved for 3rd round and beyond.

Cowboys got in trouble with Tex in the 80's because he started to think he was smarter than rest of the NFL and drafted "athletes" whom he thought would turn to be great players in the 1st round.....busts...busts...and got Landry fired.

Hoofbite;4491280 said:
Ngata outproduced him in a bigger conference and suffered an ACL injury along the way.

People want there to be similarities to justify the pick but they aren't there.

Well, I guess they are both heavy.

I only mention Ngata cause the word out on him during his draft was that he lacked motor, and the same is said of Poe.

Some players are just much better pros than college players, especially with this kind of athleticism at his position. The draft a crapshoot really, and this is a draft where we have so many holes that we could go almost any direction and be successful.

While I'm not really a fan of taking a 3-4 DE this high in this draft, Poe's potential to play either DE or NT is very appealing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Cowboys must have purchased a lot of these, because they are blowing a lot of smoke about Poe.

Fog-Machine-FM-500-FM-700--140244.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it laughable how anyone could compare Aaron Rodgers situation in GB and being chosen with the 25th overall pick and Poe possibly being selected by Dallas at #14.

Rodgers (And I would have hoped that I wouldn't have to point this out, but alas that is not to be) plays a far more challenging position than what Poe does, thus you can expect a far greater learning curve. To think that a DT would need to come in and sit and learn for his rookie season is again... Laughable.

Secondly, and maybe even more importantly, Rodgers produced in college... Poe?

No so much.

burmafrd

Reaction score
hey didn't this same gomer come out last week with another player that supposedly the Boys were all hot for?

CCBoy

Reaction score
dez_for_prez;4491310 said:
Mayock has him ranked 4th now with Cox at 1.

Bingo, which means that Dallas is probably set upon the course of Cox, Ingram, Coples, or DeCastro...and if one isn't there at 14, first round is on me.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4490782 said:
By that rational Rams should have drafted RG3, no?
I know you weren't addressing me, but that would be a "no" on many levels.

For starters, the Rams think Bradford is absolute elite material, so I would never presume that they for sure would rank RG3 ahead of him.
Next, you rank by tiers anyway. You go need within the same tier and need if not there and you can get a fair trade, you may trade down (or up).

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Poe is this year's Bruce Campbell. If it weren't for the fact that a good percentage of people desperately and foolishly believe that a fat tub of goo is the answer to all of our defensive problems no one would give him the time of day.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4491517 said:
Poe is this year's Bruce Campbell. If it weren't for the fact that a good percentage of people desperately and foolishly believe that a fat tub of goo is the answer to all of our defensive problems no one would give him the time of day.

Bruce Campbell did not blow everyone away at the combine nor did he play DT.

Ironically a fat tub of goo is exactly what 3/4 nose tackles like Vince Wilfork are, and they take over games.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SilverStarCowboy;4491508 said:
What's laughable is seeing the imaginary GMs in here downing a player that would help any NFL Roster.

Who's to say how helpful he would be...

Obviously there are several who don't see him being that helpful. He didn't seem to help his college team an extraordinary amount.

You can take a chance on a developmental player in round 2 or 3.

Round 1 is much more unpalatable.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4491508 said:
What's laughable is seeing the imaginary GMs in here downing a player that would help any NFL Roster.

Who to say he could help? At least right away?

Mayock dropped him from #1 DT to #4 because he isn't sure the guy will be ready to play as a rookie and he says that he'll need time.

SilverStarCowboy;4491525 said:
Bruce Campbell did not blow everyone away at the combine nor did he play DT.

Ironically a fat tub of goo is exactly what 3/4 nose tackles like Vince Wilfork are, and they take over games.

Bull****. Campbell had a great combine.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4491531 said:
Who's to say how helpful he would be...

Obviously there are several who don't see him being that helpful. He didn't seem to help his college team an extraordinary amount.

You can take a chance on a developmental player in round 2 or 3.

Round 1 is much more unpalatable.

NT Dontari Poe is 6'4 345, ran linebacker times 4.86 40 plus a 1.6 10-yard split, 44 reps on bench press.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SilverStarCowboy;4491544 said:
NT Dontari Poe is 6'4 345, ran linebacker times 4.86 40 plus a 1.6 10-yard split, 44 reps on bench press.

That doesn't mean he's going to be a great help on the football field.

You're mesmerized by combine numbers.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4491525 said:
Bruce Campbell did not blow everyone away at the combine

:laugh2:

Google Search is your friend. You should try it sometime.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ve-tackle-bruce-campbell-has-amazing-40-times

Poe couldn't "take over games" on the Conference USA level, much less the NFL. Comparing him to Wilfork is laughable.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4491573 said:
That doesn't mean he's going to be a great help on the football field.

You're mesmerized by combine numbers.

No it doesn't mean he will be great, it means he has a good chance to compete at a high level.

visionary

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4491544 said:

this should bring out the usual suspects

get ready to duck