TonyPauline: Hearing right now Poe/DT/Memphis is the favorite in the Cowboys war room

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4490958 said:
I think like this. Way back in early 80's, the cowboys were getting ready to take an OL they loved. The raiders picked right before them and chose this OL. The cowboys were stunned, especially Landry.

You have to cover all scenarios. Say for instance trent richardson is still there, and 2 teams call up to trade up to get him. What are you being offered for him, or do you stay there at 14, take best player available. BPA!

Or say when 9th pick is fixing to be selected and you have on your board only 15 players should be taken in 1st round.

So, picks 9-13 all go off of your own board, what do you do then?

You have to have covered all scenarios, so if you have to trade down, what grouping of players do you have in your next grouping of players and how many if you get trade offers to move down.

Always, always take BPA, and cover all your bases.

Be prepared!

I love your enthusiasm!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
jobberone;4490930 said:
Poe will be a player. He will need coaching just like any other rookie. He plays too high and that's ok for a NT that's 6-4. They'll coach that out of him early on. Do you think there will be another DL, CB or S that's worth #14? Do you think they are that interested in the crop of OLB at 14 that they can't get about the same risk/reward in the second? Unless they are after DeCastro at 14 or they have someone lined up to trade down with then it could be a short list at 14. Just thinking out loud.

If none of the OLB, DL, S or CB are worth #14 I don't know how Poe is.

I mean, unless the draft is based solely on potential there's no way Poe is worth #14.

TVMan

Reaction score
TheFinisher;4490847 said:
I've never seen a prospect who catches more blocks than Poe, hand usage is Football 101 and something kids learn during pop warner. Coaches have probably been in this kid's ear his entire life telling him to use his hands and he still doesn't get it... that the definition of uncoachable IMO.

He got away with that at Memphis because he was just so much bigger and stronger than everyone, but if he doesn't get that fixed he'll be eaten alive by NFL Lineman. You have no chance on the DL if you don't know how to use your hands.

You must have missed the post about how he actually started playing the game to begin with. He began playing in High School. He has been playing probably 5 years at most. So, he still has plenty of time to get it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4490969 said:
If none of the OLB, DL, S or CB are worth #14 I don't know how Poe is.

I mean, unless the draft is based solely on potential there's no way Poe is worth #14.

Well we disagree about Poe. I would rather draft him in the lower 1/3 of the first but guys like him, OTs, pass rushers, QBs, elite DBs will generally rise. He will go in the top 20 likely top 15. He fits our scheme and needs. He has the tools to do the job. He's big enough, strong enough, and quick/fast enough to play NT and DE and do it well. People keep saying his film doesn't match his draft round. Well that's not a complete consensus as others feel differently. I agree he's riskier than some others in that tier.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
jobberone;4491058 said:
Well we disagree about Poe. I would rather draft him in the lower 1/3 of the first but guys like him, OTs, pass rushers, QBs, elite DBs will generally rise. He will go in the top 20 likely top 15. He fits our scheme and needs. He has the tools to do the job. He's big enough, strong enough, and quick/fast enough to play NT and DE and do it well. People keep saying his film doesn't match his draft round. Well that's not a complete consensus as others feel differently. I agree he's riskier than some others in that tier.
Agreed. Count me as another fan of Poe who recognizes and admits he's a risky pick.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
jobberone;4491058 said:

I really don't understand alot of this hate for Poe, alot of it seems to come from him not being that particular fans' pet cat.

There is a high possibility that he won't even be there when we pick anyway. It has been said that he interviewed well, and is a quick twitch athlete, something hard to find in a man this big. Only thing that concerns me about Poe is his short arms, and being able to get guys off of him with his hands.

Of course the boom/bust potential is high, but I could handle the risk for the potential reward of having a guy like him in the middle of this D.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Can you imagine this forum if the Pick was Poe with DeCastro still on the board?:lmao:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4491175 said:
Can you imagine this forum if the Pick was Poe with DeCastro still on the board?:lmao:

I would be ecstatic with either one.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4491175 said:

Complete disaster.

Passing on what might be the safest pick for a guy who is undoubtedly the riskiest?

Complete disaster.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jenky;4490315 said:
Dontari Poe - DL - Player
SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline reports that Memphis NT Dontari Poe is the "apple of (the Cowboys') eyes" at the No. 14 overall pick.
It's worth noting Pauline was all over the Cowboys' interest in CB Brandon Carr during Combine week. Pauline reports that Dallas looked "heavily" at Georgia G/T Cordy Glenn in Indianapolis, but has now "shifted its focus" to the defensive line, targeting Poe. In Dallas, the developmental Poe could be brought along slowly as a run-stuffing nose behind Pro Bowl starter Jay Ratliff.
Related: Cowboys
Source: TFY Draft Insider Apr 2 - 2:35 PM

What's the word guys?

So we are going to use the 14th pick in the draft on Ratliff's backup?

Thats the master plan Jerry and Redball have?

HAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4491208 said:
Complete disaster.

Passing on what might be the safest pick for a guy who is undoubtedly the riskiest?

Complete disaster.

He is riskier, but the reward is alot higher. Any GM would take an all pro DT over an all pro guard, just a fact, and its proven by the salaries each would receive on the open market.

Both are fine with me, but it has to be seen that the potential reward of Poe is alot greater.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4490405 said:
We need #14 to contribute immediately, not 2 years from now.

I dont think some of yall realize that when Romo retires, thats game over folks. It means jack who our nose tackle is at that point, so why the hell are we not trying to "win now" before this window closes?

Poe is not a "win now" pick, I seriously dont get this strategy at all. And for everybody saying "trust the scouts", are these the same scouts we used for the 09 draft?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4490601 said:
At NT never, the Cowboys have never been in position to take a slobber knocker like this at the position.

What do you do if you turn the projector on and that "slober knocker" looks totally disinterested half the time, takes downs off, and disappers for entire games against clearly inferior talent?

You still running the card up to the commish?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4491175 said:

Something in my house is going to get broken................:laugh2:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4491226 said:
He is riskier, but the reward is alot higher. Any GM would take an all pro DT over an all pro guard, just a fact, and its proven by the salaries each would receive on the open market.

Both are fine with me, but it has to be seen that the potential reward of Poe is alot greater.

The choice isn't an all pro DT or G though.

It's a G who has a track record of great play in a top notch conference with expectations of a high level of play right out of the gate.

Or

A DT with a poor history of production in a weaker conference with only potential being his projection.

He could be great. He could be horrible.

Nobody knows and that's the problem I have with the guy. He's far too big of an unknown for Dallas to gamble on. At #14 you should be able to get a guy who at least gives you a reason to believe he can play other than having a great workout.

If I were Dallas, I'd let someone else try to coach him up.

Ren

Reaction score
We're not good enough to be throwing picks away on the likes of Poe.
He didn't exactly stand out in college against fairly average competition but he's supposed to just turn it on in the NFL cause he had a great combine

Poe will be a bust, i just hope that's for someone else

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4491255 said:
The choice isn't an all pro DT or G though.

It's a G who has a track record of great play in a top notch conference with expectations of a high level of play right out of the gate.

Or

A DT with a poor history of production in a weaker conference with only potential being his projection.

He could be great. He could be horrible.

Nobody knows and that's the problem I have with the guy. He's far too big of an unknown for Dallas to gamble on. At #14 you should be able to get a guy who at least gives you a reason to believe he can play other than having a great workout.

If I were Dallas, I'd let someone else try to coach him up.

The difference is if he wasn't an unknown, he would be top 5. The risk is the only reason why we would get a chance at him at all.

It does depend on your risk tolerance, and right now I don't mind risk for us if the reward is high. And you know one thing, a guy like Nicks hit free agency, but a guy like Ngata won't see free agency. There were similar questions when the Ravens took Ngata, but they took the chance, and in this case I ain't scared.

btcutter

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4491274 said:
The difference is if he wasn't an unknown, he would be top 5. The risk is the only reason why we would get a chance at him at all.

It does depend on your risk tolerance, and right now I don't mind risk for us if the reward is high. And you know one thing, a guy like Nicks hit free agency, but a guy like Ngata won't see free agency. There were similar questions when the Ravens took Ngata, but they took the chance, and in this case I ain't scared.

Poe vs Ngata? Seriously? Ngata was a beast in college. Poe....was Jane.

Watch the film and you realize he's an ATHLETE but NOT A GREAT Football player. He look lost and slow. Can't find the ball carrier.

Your first rounder suppose to step in and contribute at a high level and with upside for All Pro. Projects are reserved for 3rd round and beyond.

Cowboys got in trouble with Tex in the 80's because he started to think he was smarter than rest of the NFL and drafted "athletes" whom he thought would turn to be great players in the 1st round.....busts...busts...and got Landry fired.