Too early to grade the offseason

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have certainly made abundantly clear my dislike for Jerry and his boy as FO leaders. But to be fair, it’s still way too early to declare this offseason a failure. We still have several big FA Cowboys players to possibly nail down, and the draft is over a month away.

Despite my disdain for GM Jerry, I’m not ready to declare this offseason a failure yet. We need to wait at least a couple of months IMO. I seem to remember this reaction last year too when Dallas did not overpay for a bunch of big names- some who worked and many who didn’t.

In fact, I would list these areas of work still to be done to use as a grading tool before season starts:
1. Settle the Tank Lawrence situation. Either pay the man or trade him for something of value. I’m in favor of paying him- I think he’s earned it.

2. Upgrade the DL and S position in FA or the draft. That still remains to be seen if or how this may be addressed. Keep in mind the Cowboys have NEVER shown a desire to pay big $ for Safeties or DTs. Look at the history.

3. Decide if Dak is your QB. If he is, get a deal done now. The market will NOT be cheaper next year. Also regarding QBs, decide if Mike White or Cooper Rush are legit backups or not.

4. Address the slot receiver position. I’m glad the team didn’t overpay Cole Beasley, but the team still needs a viable slot weapon. There are still a few FA options and certainly draft options.

5. Fill some key backup holes on the OL, LB and other.
Look I don’t trust Jerry and his FO. We have zero reason to. But to be fair, the evidence for this year’s offseason is not complete.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Totally agree Bob and it's all doable. Activity will pick up for the Cowboys next week and they can address all of this. For Cowboy fans FA is about patience, but it fun to get in on the bashing even if you know the play.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I have certainly made abundantly clear my dislike for Jerry and his boy as FO leaders. But to be fair, it’s still way too early to declare this offseason a failure. We still have several big FA Cowboys players to possibly nail down, and the draft is over a month away.

Despite my disdain for GM Jerry, I’m not ready to declare this offseason a failure yet. We need to wait at least a couple of months IMO. I seem to remember this reaction last year too when Dallas did not overpay for a bunch of big names- some who worked and many who didn’t.

In fact, I would list these areas of work still to be done to use as a grading tool before season starts:
1. Settle the Tank Lawrence situation. Either pay the man or trade him for something of value. I’m in favor of paying him- I think he’s earned it.

2. Upgrade the DL and S position in FA or the draft. That still remains to be seen if or how this may be addressed. Keep in mind the Cowboys have NEVER shown a desire to pay big $ for Safeties or DTs. Look at the history.

3. Decide if Dak is your QB. If he is, get a deal done now. The market will NOT be cheaper next year. Also regarding QBs, decide if Mike White or Cooper Rush are legit backups or not.

4. Address the slot receiver position. I’m glad the team didn’t overpay Cole Beasley, but the team still needs a viable slot weapon. There are still a few FA options and certainly draft options.

Look I don’t trust Jerry and his FO. We have zero reason to. But to be fair, the evidence for this year’s offseason is not complete.
lol, yea Bob, I think they would have had to actually do something first........other than re-signing a few of our own we haven't attempted to upgrade at any position.....plus we've lost a couple of players.......and DLaw is no slam dunk to be back either.........the reality of it is what we're witnessing is our FO in action..

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Totally agree Bob and it's all doable. Activity will pick up for the Cowboys next week and they can address all of this. For Cowboy fans FA is about patience, but it fun to get in on the bashing even if you know the play.
No doubt, in a week or two we'll sort through the ashes and after everyone has picked through them and we'll sign a couple of spares nobody else wanted and call it a day.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Why is it too early to give them an F? There is time to salvage something, especially if we can grab Tate, a known Cowboy killer in the past, but there's not much reason to think we will do anything in FA. So, we get an F for phase one of the offseason..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is it too early to give them an F? There is time to salvage something, especially if we can grab Tate, a known Cowboy killer in the past, but there's not much reason to think we will do anything in FA. So, we get an F for phase one of the offseason..
I give them an F for the last 23 years, but the jury is still out on year 24. Right now, the grade IMO is “Incomplete”.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yea yea we get building this team can take time. Maybe by the time the season starts we can say they are better than last year. But right now, as of today we are not. Currently this team is taking steps back not forward. The kind of talent that could propel us to be better is drying up. The cheap longshots that may or may not be enough to move the needle up is what Stephen likes to sign.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
No doubt, in a week or two we'll sort through the ashes and after everyone has picked through them and we'll sign a couple of spares nobody else wanted and call it a day.
Funny I heard on the Herd today that Bill Walsh said why look for players in March when everyone is looking. Pickup players in September when no one is looking. I thought WHAT? All the top dogs are gone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I give them an F for the last 23 years, but the jury is still out on year 24. Right now, the grade IMO is “Incomplete”.
I’m truly surprised . An F.
That’s a Super Bowl or Bust mentality.

In reality it’s more of a C the last 23 years. A model of mediocrity.

Or you’re saying back in the day all of those great years with the Cowboys were total failures except for the years we won a championship. I can’t believe you really feel that way.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Can’t judge an off season before it ends. Even then you don’t know till after next season if the moves you did make helped your team
Look at colts last year. They had the second most money and I’m betting their fans hated their FA signing, most in the media did
Looking back they had as good if not the best free agency because they got good players who all contributed
That said I think there was atleast one signing that could have helped and been a good value in M Jackson

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Tank needs to get signed. It’s a big distraction.

I’d like Suh and Berry to be signed. They are older, cheaper options that present high risk and high reward. Jerry loves that.

I wish Dallas either signs Dak to a team friendly deal or waits to sign him. Giving him 30 million per this offseason seems insane.

Slot receiver is gonna be handled by Hurns, Austin (whom I believe we resign) and Cooper when Noah Brown goes outside. We may draft a receiver, but we won’t sign one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We kinda knew coming in this was going to be a boring offseason. We had already used our 1st round pick which is usually the best opportunity to upgrade the team.

The biggest deal looming was Lawrence and if we’d go ahead and pay Dak.

I’d say it’s played out pretty much as planned except for the surprise return of Witten.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tank needs to get signed. It’s a big distraction.

I’d like Suh and Berry to be signed. They are older, cheaper options that present high risk and high reward. Jerry loves that.

I wish Dallas either signs Dak to a team friendly deal or waits to sign him. Giving him 30 million per this offseason seems insane.

Slot receiver is gonna be handled by Hurns, Austin (whom I believe we resign) and Cooper when Noah Brown goes outside. We may draft a receiver, but we won’t sign one.
There really isn’t urgency. We have until July 15th before he has to sign the Franchise Tag contract.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
So far, we have disrespected (his words) our franchise DE, lost out on a marquee free agent safety who asked to come here, lost our dependable slot WR, a starting LB, and brought back an aging TE, a fruitless FB, and a dependable swing tackle.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's early in the semester, but that's an F right now.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Last Offseason oh yes when they got rid of Dez and said we don't need a new WR and then when the team starts to tank they trade a # 1 draft pick to get one. The FO doesn't know what they're doing but it makes good drama. lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's hard to grade the homework of a student that doesn't even hand in the assignment.

So I'll go with a grade of "Incomplete" right now.

"But if you keep going at this rate, you're going to fail this course Mister!"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Last Offseason oh yes when they got rid of Dez and said we don't need a new WR and then when the team starts to tank they trade a # 1 draft pick to get one. The FO doesn't know what they're doing but it makes good drama. lol
Right...It’s totally on the fly. We reacted similarly after letting Murray go.

Jerry won’t know our next great weakness until he sees it. And yet we somehow expect greater results with this joke of a franchise.

I’m truly amazed we’re even a playoff contender.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's hard to grade the homework of a student that doesn't even hand in the assignment.

So I'll go with a grade of "Incomplete" right now.

"But if you keep going at this rate, you're going to fail this course Mister!"
If you go by the homework turned in by Jerry over the last two decades his progress report says “Needs Improvement” and his teacher would say, “He talks too much and doesn’t get his work done”, lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you go by the homework turned in by Jerry over the last two decades his progress report says “Needs Improvement” and his teacher would say, “He talks too much and doesn’t get his work done”, lol.

Yeah, but as always, he'd grease a few palms and end up with an 'A'.
:facepalm:

blueblood70

Reaction score

July wil still be to early fans don’t get it and never will. Let the season play out and then judge. It’s never a loss until it is. Seasons are headed in wins and losses not off season paper champions. If it were truly a money Game and you can win by buying championships Jerry would do it every year. There’s a cap there is systems and checks and balances. Let the football people deal with it and let the fans root for their teams good or bad.