Too many wasted picks in the second round

Blackrain

Reaction score
After listening to the banter about how good we draft and will maclay I did a little research and we have flat out wasted way too many second round picks to be successful
With this front office we survive in spite of ourselves man you get a guy like belichick in here in a general manager type position a disciplinary coach in the form of harbaugh or Campbell

Send Jerry and his stupid son on a trip to Australia and let him get lost in the outback for a couple years and we could do something with this team.

In the last 10 years we've hit on like two picks Diggs and demarcus Lawrence.

And even before that pics that had talent still did not live up to their billing Sean Lee was great but too often injured purple drank could have been a great player.

I think we've gotten more productive players out of the third round.
Can't win throwing the second round of the draft away almost every year your thoughts.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The 2nd Round is a dangerous area for the Cowboys because of Jerry.

He still wants to be involved and isn't afraid to take gambles (Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Trysten Hill) that accountable GM's would not risk their livelihood for. Occasionally you get Trevon Diggs, but let’s not forget the Cowboys were willing to draft Diggs 32 picks earlier.

This is also where they try to “overcorrect” for not getting their guy in the 1st round, Schoonmaker last year and Kelvin Joseph in 2021.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
After listening to the banter about how good we draft and will maclay I did a little research and we have flat out wasted way too many second round picks to be successful
With this front office we survive in spite of ourselves man you get a guy like belichick in here in a general manager type position a disciplinary coach in the form of harbaugh or Campbell

Send Jerry and his stupid son on a trip to Australia and let him get lost in the outback for a couple years and we could do something with this team.

And even before that pics that had talent still did not live up to their billing Sean Lee was great but too often injured purple drank could have been a great player.

Can't win throwing the second round of the draft away almost every year your thoughts.
I agree, Sean Lee could have been an all-time great if his body could have handled it. He had the head and the instincts. He was awesome to watch, just seemed like he was always hurt, unfortunately

rambo2

Reaction score

You need to do some research on the Bill Belichick picks recently. He has done well enough to put the Patriots up at the top of the draft this year.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The 2nd Round is a dangerous area for the Cowboys because of Jerry.

He still wants to be involved and isn't afraid to take gambles (Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Trysten Hill) that accountable GM's would not risk their livelihood for. Occasionally you get Trevon Diggs, but let’s not forget the Cowboys were willing to draft Diggs 32 picks earlier.

This is also where they try to “overcorrect” for not getting their guy in the 1st round, Schoonmaker last year and Kelvin Joseph in 2021.
All true brother this seems to be the round where Jerry gets his gambling fix and it just does not pan out as many times as it should.
It's costing us and it's the difference between a front office that has to be accountable to an owner and a front office where the owner is using the franchise as his personal little toy

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wait. You can't actually look into it and review our draft classes. That's where you went wrong.

Repeat after me - We always draft well. All of the time. And we're damn lucky to have Will McClay.

Blackrain

Reaction score
You need to do some research on the Bill Belichick picks recently. He has done well enough to put the Patriots up at the top of the draft this year.
I did not research belichick's pics just our pics .
Bob Hayes could have probably done a much better job with this post . He would have researched everything far better.
But all that said belichick somehow created teams that went to nine super bowls and Jerry can't get past the first round of the playoffs so I'm just spitballing here but even at 72 I would take a chance on belichick having enough left in him to get us over the hump once.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Wait. You can't actually look into it and review our draft classes. That's where you went wrong.

Repeat after me - We always draft well. All of the time. And we're damn lucky to have Will McClay.
Yeah brother that's what I kept hearing but it doesn't come out in the wash when you look at the second round picks.

We still may be a little lucky to have maclay because at least that keeps Jerry from gambling with every pic.

I don't know it just gets so frustrating watching every other team use proven team building principles and we go by way of Robin Hood's Barn to get the job done.
Just keeping us in a yearly embarrassment of a barely relevant holding pattern of one and done.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah brother that's what I kept hearing but it doesn't come out in the wash when you look at the second round picks.

We still may be a little lucky to have maclay because at least that keeps Jerry from gambling with every pic.

I don't know it just gets so frustrating watching every other team use proven team building principles and we go by way of Robin Hood's Barn to get the job done.
Just keeping us in a yearly embarrassment of a barely relevant holding pattern of one and done.
Our 3rd round picks haven't been great either. Osa? Golston? Wright? Tolbert? Gallimore? McGovern?

In McClay I trust. He just has a gift for it.

rambo2

Reaction score
I did not research belichick's pics just our pics .
Bob Hayes could have probably done a much better job with this post . He would have researched everything far better.
But all that said belichick somehow created teams that went to nine super bowls and Jerry can't get past the first round of the playoffs so I'm just spitballing here but even at 72 I would take a chance on belichick having enough left in him to get us over the hump once.
Belichick is pretty much done.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Jaylon LVE pothead taco spoonmaker Mazi gallimore hill Joseph golston sam W Tolbert

All had question marks and a scar or three. Need to stay away from guys like this. First three rounds you should be drafting starters

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Our 3rd round picks haven't been great either. Osa? Golston? Wright? Tolbert? Gallimore? McGovern
You are not wrong but the bust factor is a lot less.

Most of those have at least consistently contributed.

Last year's draft was bad all around.

1st roudn pick - 2nd round guy
2nd round pick - 4th round guy
3rd round pick - 2nd round guy
4th round pick - 6th round guy
5th round pick - 5th round guy (NAILED IT!)
6th round pick - Clever UDFA guy
6th round pick - Great story guy
7th round pick - best pick of draft

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jaylon LVE pothead taco spoonmaker Mazi gallimore hill Joseph golston sam W Tolbert

All had question marks and a scar or three. Need to stay away from guys like this. First three rounds you should be drafting starters
LVE and Jaylon were completely off some team's boards.

rambo2

Reaction score

They do have 9 all pros on the roster or something like that.