Top 10 Lyricist in any genre

gazmc_06

Reaction score
eminem has to be in this category, everthing that you hear in an eminem song is the truth and it is all put together so well - the best rapper ever.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
gazmc_06;1354399 said:
eminem has to be in this category, everthing that you hear in an eminem song is the truth and it is all put together so well - the best rapper ever.

He is very good but for me the best is Chuck D...great beats, great lyrics and great voice

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;1354402 said:
He is very good but for me the best is Chuck D...great beats, great lyrics and great voice

I have always liked chuck D and Public Enemy.

I like Flav, because he is just funny.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1354404 said:
I have always liked chuck D and Public Enemy.

I like Flav, because he is just funny.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1354374 said:
That's Ray Wylie Hubbard, not JJ Walker.

spot on. RW Hubbard wrote it and JJ Walker performed it. mea culpa. but it's still a classic :D

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
in addition to all the other great lyricists listed, I'm throwing in Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver.

jem88

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1355016 said:
in addition to all the other great lyricists listed, I'm throwing in Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver.
I really couldn't disagree more. STP had the occasional catchy tune, but Weiland's lyrics were pretty empty. I haven't listened to Velvet Revolver.

jem88

Reaction score
Beck is a great musician/lyricist. I'm listening to Lonesome Tears right now (off the incredible Sea Change album.) A truly moving song.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
A new one = Sufjan Stevens. I generally could not care less about lyrics, but his music + words are fantastic.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1355147 said:
A new one = Sufjan Stevens. I generally could not care less about lyrics, but his music + words are fantastic.

Good one Crown. I've dug Sufjan since his Michigan album. Michigan - Swans -- Illinois. All great -- but the 2 or three before are crap.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jem88;1355101 said:
Beck is a great musician/lyricist. I'm listening to Lonesome Tears right now (off the incredible Sea Change album.) A truly moving song.

Damn Jem - we must be musical twins separated at birth. Sea Change, for me, struck as an homage to Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks - which is to me, the best written album ever.

I saw Beck once - not performing, but in the audience at a show that Elliott Smith was opening -- he was just hanging out, talking to everyone who came by - Odelay was huge then. I was shocked how cool and down to earth he was. If you don't know Elliott Smith's work, check him out - his songwriting blows me away (his 2nd album and either/or are standouts).

jem88

Reaction score
abersonc;1355196 said:
Damn Jem - we must be musical twins separated at birth. Sea Change, for me, struck as an homage to Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks - which is to me, the best written album ever.

I saw Beck once - not performing, but in the audience at a show that Elliott Smith was opening -- he was just hanging out, talking to everyone who came by - Odelay was huge then. I was shocked how cool and down to earth he was. If you don't know Elliott Smith's work, check him out - his songwriting blows me away (his 2nd album and either/or are standouts).
Blood on The Tracks is incredible. Everybody knows Tangled Up in Blue, but Meet Me in The Morning and If You See Her are also incredible and deeply poignant. It's amazing the effect a divorce can have on an artist!