Top 10 movies everyone else liked but you thought were meh

erod

Reaction score
Maybe movies you didn't really get, didn't understand why they were even popular.

1. Forest Gump
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Field of Dreams
4. Harry Potter
5. Blues Brothers
6. Friday the 13th(Or any slasher movie)
7. Dumb and Dumber
8. Biodome
9. The Fast and the Furious
10. The Expendables
Agreed, except for your first three.

How do you not get Saving Private Ryan?

erod

Reaction score
Fast & Furious and John Wick.

Just mindless drivel after the first one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not much different than anything popular, art, literature, food, restaurants and music. And the tricky part is popular.

It's like what my Mom used to like to ask me. "L'il CC, if all of your friends are jumping off the bridge, are you going to jump too". She finally stopped when I began firing back a few of my own. "Gee Mom, I don't know, what's in the water? Gold coins, diamonds, jewelry for you? Wouldn't you want me to jump? What's on the bridge? A monster, a fire you and Dad and I'm smoking a cigarette? How far of a drop are we talking about here? Couple of feet into ankle deep water with naked girls?"

I cannot think of one thing that was considered popular, in any genre, that I didn't like and I never thought there was something wrong with me. I tried watching Friends and Seinfeld because they were so popular and never cracked a smile and didn't get it. My wife didn't either.

I like Saving Private Ryan, you don't but I can still like you. Hell, I can recall when Jaggermeister was all the rage.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not much different than anything popular, art, literature, food, restaurants and music. And the tricky part is popular.

It's like what my Mom used to like to ask me. "L'il CC, if all of your friends are jumping off the bridge, are you going to jump too". She finally stopped when I began firing back a few of my own. "Gee Mom, I don't know, what's in the water? Gold coins, diamonds, jewelry for you? Wouldn't you want me to jump? What's on the bridge? A monster, a fire you and Dad and I'm smoking a cigarette? How far of a drop are we talking about here? Couple of feet into ankle deep water with naked girls?"

I cannot think of one thing that was considered popular, in any genre, that I didn't like and I never thought there was something wrong with me. I tried watching Friends and Seinfeld because they were so popular and never cracked a smile and didn't get it. My wife didn't either.

I like Saving Private Ryan, you don't but I can still like you. Hell, I can recall when Jaggermeister was all the rage.

And there's two more that I don't get!!!! Seinfeld and Friends. Like you, just wasn't funny to me.

Also, The Simpsons. Tried to like it, but it was all forced smiles and chuckles. Just wasn't funny to me.

kskboys

Reaction score
Agreed, except for your first three.

How do you not get Saving Private Ryan?
Oh, and Field of Dreams.

Let's see, a guy gets a weird inclination to build a baseball field in the middle of his cornfield, after which ghosts come out and play.

I can buy a ton of different premises, often ones that are really really stretchy. But, to me, that premise was beyond stupid. The why of it was also never really explained. Why did you like it?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fast & Furious and John Wick.

Just mindless drivel after the first one.
I felt the same about The Matrix and Transformers after the first one but the film industry is full of capitalizations and it's easier to get a sequel of a winner produced.

They're never going to run out of DC and Marvel films. They will keep shoveling that as long as fans are showing up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, and Field of Dreams.

Let's see, a guy gets a weird inclination to build a baseball field in the middle of his cornfield, after which ghosts come out and play.

I can buy a ton of different premises, often ones that are really really stretchy. But, to me, that premise was beyond stupid. The why of it was also never really explained. Why did you like it?
It was fantasy about redemption for the Eight Men Out players so I watch that right after Eight Men Out.

The one thing I do before watching anything is suspend "critical me" that is looking for the warts and I find I am more forgiving and not as high with my expectations. It's like watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy with a critical eye. There are so many flaws that I would have never enjoyed that as much as I did and still do.

I also know my mood affects it so if people I know like something that I should like, I will give it a second chance. My wanting to like something is a real critical factor to my liking it.

nobody

Reaction score
Close encounters of the 3rd kind.
Braveheart.
Every costume/period drama of the simpering posh Girl needs husband ilk.
Every Tom Cruise film.
Every Rocky movie.
Every sports film of the plucky underdog overcomes the odds to triumph variety (see above for the worst offenders).
Saving Private Ryan.
Superhero movies.
U571.
Sandra Bullock movies.
Rom Coms from the grand gesture wins reluctant Girl's heart school of lazy scriptwriting.

You take that back, Redcoat scum! Rocky III was a cinematic masterpiece. MASTERPIECE! It had Mr. T!

erod

Reaction score
Oh, and Field of Dreams.

It was about unresolved issues between father and son, and the concept of playing catch with your dad as a lifelong bond that Costner's character regretted saying no to.

erod

Reaction score
Just another war movie. Boring.
The greatest reenactment of the most important military sacrifice and success of world history. D-day can't be overstated. The greatest generation saved you and me from **** fascism that day.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Close encounters of the 3rd kind.
Good story, but slow moving.
Braveheart.
Gee, I wonder why a Brit wouldn't care for this. (My favorite movie, BTW.)
Every costume/period drama of the simpering posh Girl needs husband ilk.
:clap:
Every Tom Cruise film.
At least the ones that don't specifically necessitate a cocky little bass turd to play the lead role.
Every Rocky movie.
:huh:
Every sports film of the plucky underdog overcomes the odds to triumph variety (see above for the worst offenders).
Even Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story?
Saving Private Ryan.
I can understand not loving the movie, but I'd never refer to it as "meh".
Superhero movies.
You're dead to me.
U571.
Never saw it.
Sandra Bullock movies.
She's an American treasure!!!
Rom Coms from the grand gesture wins reluctant Girl's heart school of lazy scriptwriting.
:clap:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We've got 2.5 pages on this and no better example of the different, and allowable, tastes we have as individuals. Some have a few of my top 10 in their bottom 10 but that's OK. Londy has 2 of my all time top 10 with Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan.

Now, let us consider Londy's nationality and that of one Mr. William Wallace for his distaste of this fine film. I bet he cried like I did in Old Yeller when Longshanks tapped out. And I don't get Saving Private Ryan at all. Here we are sending our boys over there to take care of business because his Parliament allowed the war machine to grow to that size and he's dissing on our film. I am surprised he didn't list The Patriot...………. because of the ending.

Sir Londy, I will raise your any Tom Cruise or Rocky film with Monty Python and any period British drama. The English Patient should not have survived.
GASP!! You don't like Monty Python???.......Also, I almost said something similar regarding The Patriot, but a lot of people foolishly didn't like that movie.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I felt the same about The Matrix and Transformers after the first one but the film industry is full of capitalizations and it's easier to get a sequel of a winner produced.

They're never going to run out of DC and Marvel films. They will keep shoveling that as long as fans are showing up.
I hope so!

quickccc

Reaction score
By far i didn't get what everyone was gawking over Captain Marvel about. just because a movie has action in it, doesnt make it good. action ..much less a good movie.

Brie Laurson is a plain dry and very miscast in this role, and im ever convinced it did so well at box office because it was very much advertised to be tied in with Avengers End Game.
and i'm sill so very disappointed that they decided that a raged cat is the reason why Nick Fury lost his eye. Horrible origin ! . :angry:

quickccc

Reaction score
my list:

Captain Marvel
blair witch project
ron man 2
avengers end game
captain america 1st avenger
Kill Bill Vol .2
Black Swan
Monster's ball
Dark Knight Rises
Dances with wolves
Bohemian rhapsody
breakfast at tiffaney's
Akira
Top gun
Chucky
Leprechaun
Saw
Momento
Inception
Incredible Mr. Ripley
Matrix Revolution

Londonboy

Reaction score
We've got 2.5 pages on this and no better example of the different, and allowable, tastes we have as individuals. Some have a few of my top 10 in their bottom 10 but that's OK. Londy has 2 of my all time top 10 with Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan.

Now, let us consider Londy's nationality and that of one Mr. William Wallace for his distaste of this fine film. I bet he cried like I did in Old Yeller when Longshanks tapped out. And I don't get Saving Private Ryan at all. Here we are sending our boys over there to take care of business because his Parliament allowed the war machine to grow to that size and he's dissing on our film. I am surprised he didn't list The Patriot...………. because of the ending.

Sir Londy, I will raise your any Tom Cruise or Rocky film with Monty Python and any period British drama. The English Patient should not have survived.
My beef with Braveheart is that it plays fast and loose with historical accuracy for the sake of drama.

The only thing that stood out for Me in SPR was the Omaha beech scenes, the rest of the film I can scarcely remember, I expect more from a film that garnered so much praise and so many accolades.

Since Terry Gilliam is American and the Monty Python theme tune is an American Patriotic march, I consider Python to be an Anglo-American collaborative effort.