Top 10 movies everyone else liked but you thought were meh

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My beef with Braveheart is that it plays fast and loose with historical accuracy for the sake of drama.

The only thing that stood out for Me in SPR was the Omaha beech scenes, the rest of the film I can scarcely remember, I expect more from a film that garnered so much praise and so many accolades.

Since Terry Gilliam is American and the Monty Python theme tune is an American Patriotic march, I consider Python to be an Anglo-American collaborative effort.
Vikings is also very loosely based on historical facts, but it too is a great show.:p

I agree with you about Saving Private Ryan.

I never knew Gilliam was American.

kskboys

Reaction score
The greatest reenactment of the most important military sacrifice and success of world history. D-day can't be overstated. The greatest generation saved you and me from **** fascism that day.
Absolutely, and I cannot overstate my appreciation for the military.

That doesn't mean I'll enjoy a movie about the minutae. I'd rather read about it, which I have in great detail.

kskboys

Reaction score
It was about unresolved issues between father and son, and the concept of playing catch with your dad as a lifelong bond that Costner's character regretted saying no to.
I thought it was poorly done.

DFWJC

Reaction score
And actually, that's what this thread is about. Popular films you didn't care for.
got it

It's an interesting thread!
Like I said, to each his own.

For example, There are guys attracted to 300 lb , balding, giant nosed women too.
Somewhere.
Varying tastes are always astonishing.
No harm to anyone else if either...just out of the ordinary.

World would be boring otherwise.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
i should have added English Patient , Green Book, Driving Miss Daisy, Argo, Out of Africa, Moonlight and Spotlight to my list

Especially since Out of Africa and Spotlight flat out made a robbery from Color Purple .. and the Revenant (Leonardo DiCaprio) respectively.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
James Bond......... I only like the Sean Connery ones and they are dated now, and the 4 Pierce Brosnan movies are the ones I like,
The rest are meh, and daniel craig bonds, are just boring.

I liked some of the Roger Moore ones. The Pierce Brosnan ones were not bad also, but since he left, JBond movies have been totally "meh." Now I hear they're going to try to resurrect the franchise by making James Bond a woman. It won't save the franchise. They can't seem to figure out that audiences hunger for good stories. The audience doesn't give a crap about Hollywood's demographic agendas. Write a great story and the audience will like it whether your lead is a man or a woman. But that's not what they'll do. Their stories have been boring and uncreative for a while now. So write another boring, uncreative script and give the lead to a woman instead of a man and you'll still have a lousy story. Not a single audience member is going to be all, "Snoozeville, predictable, clichéd plot, but at least a woman was in the lead, so I loved it." Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but they have a track record of boring shows recently, so I'm not holding my breath. It's what they did with Ghostbusters. They wrote a dreadful, atrocious story, but thought an all-female cast would make it great. Then when the audience rejected it, they blamed it on misogyny. They'll do anything other than admit the truth. The audience hated it because it was a crappy movie. The audience doesn't hate women. It hates bad storytelling.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
my list:

Captain Marvel
blair witch project
ron man 2
avengers end game
captain america 1st avenger
Kill Bill Vol .2
Black Swan
Monster's ball
Dark Knight Rises
Dances with wolves
Bohemian rhapsody
breakfast at tiffaney's
Akira
Top gun
Chucky
Leprechaun
Saw
Momento
Inception
Incredible Mr. Ripley
Matrix Revolution

Captain Marvel and Black Panther were both meh to me.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I liked some of the Roger Moore ones. The Pierce Brosnan ones were not bad also, but since he left, JBond movies have been totally "meh." Now I hear they're going to try to resurrect the franchise by making James Bond a woman. It won't save the franchise. They can't seem to figure out that audiences hunger for good stories. The audience doesn't give a crap about Hollywood's demographic agendas. Write a great story and the audience will like it whether your lead is a man or a woman. But that's not what they'll do. Their stories have been boring and uncreative for a while now. So write another boring, uncreative script and give the lead to a woman instead of a man and you'll still have a lousy story. Not a single audience member is going to be all, "Snoozeville, predictable, clichéd plot, but at least a woman was in the lead, so I loved it." Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but they have a track record of boring shows recently, so I'm not holding my breath. It's what they did with Ghostbusters. They wrote a dreadful, atrocious story, but thought an all-female cast would make it great. Then when the audience rejected it, they blamed it on misogyny. They'll do anything other than admit the truth. The audience hated it because it was a crappy movie. The audience doesn't hate women. It hates bad storytelling.
I totally agree , good storys are hard to come by in movies or tv shows these days, and everything is way too PC.
I have noticed that some of the lower budget movies tend to have the better storys. I might make a list of some that I thought were good.

About the D. Craig bonds, the storys are bad, mostly all action and explosions and he just doesnt act like bond and judi dench is awful as M, that was the first thing they did that hurt
the franchise. And it does not surprise me that they want to make a Jane bond movie lol. Women control the franchise. Broccoli's wife.

It is ironic because the ian fleming storys were better than the movies and nothing like todays bond.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wow. We can't be friends anymore. Almost all of those are in my top 25 list for sure.
Sorry man. Tarantino tries too hard to be cool. Will Ferrell and Jim Carey I can only take in small doses. I don't like most war or mob movies. The Hangover wasn't funny, and I don't like Bradley Cooper. James Bond is just lame.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My beef with Braveheart is that it plays fast and loose with historical accuracy for the sake of drama.

The only thing that stood out for Me in SPR was the Omaha beech scenes, the rest of the film I can scarcely remember, I expect more from a film that garnered so much praise and so many accolades.

Since Terry Gilliam is American and the Monty Python theme tune is an American Patriotic march, I consider Python to be an Anglo-American collaborative effort.
Agree, but that's Hollywood, they think real life is boring.

They stayed true to the facts with "My Left Foot" and I was bored outta my gourd. Phenomenal acting by the best of his time but I kept wanting him to jump up and go all Michigan J. Frog on us and dance to the bathroom singing "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal". This, is what happens when I get bored.

Other than the opening beach scene that is a mesmerizing 15 minute piece of art, Spielberg wanted to capture the real side of war, sacrifice and waste. It also had additional impact for me because my wife sat next to a veteran of that very beach and held his hand and his son held his other one as he relived that nightmare of his life.

I read an interview with Spielberg about why he felt he needed to make that movie. He felt that Hollywood had romanticized WWII and we didn't get the hard reality of war until the filmmakers started making Vietnam films and I agree with that. This was also exacerbated when he and Hanks discovered there was no WWII monument when they were planning "Band of the Brothers". The most important event that shaped the history of this country and created the Greatest Generation had no monument?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought CM was pretty by the book formulaic. I didn’t even dislike BP, but it was just hyped so much that when I finally watched it was just another standard comic book hero movie.
I agree. If they hadn't showed so much of BO in the trailers, I would have been watching and thinking, "Whoa, that's cool!" But they gave away half of what was novel about it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought CM was pretty by the book formulaic. I didn’t even dislike BP, but it was just hyped so much that when I finally watched it was just another standard comic book hero movie.
That's when I discovered there are comic book movie people and I am not one. But I do like some of them like The Punisher.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry man. Tarantino tries too hard to be cool. Will Ferrell and Jim Carey I can only take in small doses. I don't like most war or mob movies. The Hangover wasn't funny, and I don't like Bradley Cooper. James Bond is just lame.
Tarantino is too dialogue driven and it's mostly lame, I keep yelling "shut up and kill someone".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe movies you didn't really get, didn't understand why they were even popular.
I decided to try this from a 'popularity = biggest box office hits' angle. It is a flawed premise because popularity does not always mean how much money a film brings in but I wanted a definitive list to pull choices from.

Now, I have NOT seen all 386 top domestic grossing movies but I have seen a lot of them. Here are ten of those I considered as meh:

015. Finding Dory
042. Finding Nemo
120. The Lego Movie
197. Wedding Crashers
227. 22 Jump Street
291. Tron
311. Fifty Shades of Grey
343. Scary Movie
372. Neighbors
386. Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Blame my granddaughter for making me see my three top choices. I do. :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I decided to try this from a 'popularity = biggest box office hits' angle. It is a flawed premise because popularity does not always mean how much money a film brings in but I wanted a definitive list to pull choices from.

Now, I have NOT seen all 386 top domestic grossing movies but I have seen a lot of them. Here are ten of those I considered as meh:

015. Finding Dory
042. Finding Nemo
120. The Lego Movie
197. Wedding Crashers
227. 22 Jump Street
291. Tron
311. Fifty Shades of Grey
343. Scary Movie
372. Neighbors
386. Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Blame my granddaughter for making me see my three top choices. I do. :muttley:
I'm surprised to see Wedding Crashers on your list. Parts of that were just hilarious, as was the premise, IMO. Is it because of one of the actors?