Top 100 FA's

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Looking at the top 100 FA's that might I would look into if they hit the open market.
http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/
#9 Landon Collins S: Had a down year with the Giants but so did the whole defense. He is still young and only a year removed from being one of the top defensive players in the league.
#13 Tyran Mathieu S: Defensive play maker who can play single high, come play down in the slot which is something this team covets and needs a guy with a knack of creating turnovers.
#14 HaHa Clinton-Dix S: Has been a reliable player doesn't miss games due to injuries.
#30 Adrian Amos S: Very good athlete that covers a lot of ground and would be an upgrade at SS
#47 Tre Boston S: Playmaking FS who can also play SS.
#55 Kenny Vacarro S: Bounce back season at SS and can also come down and play in the slot.
#60 Tyler Eifert TE: Big time playmaker when healthy, and should be a cheap get on a incentive based contract.
#63 Jason Verrett CB: One of the top CB's in the league when healthy, but he has had a rough couple season with injuries. Like Eifert cheap get on a incentive based salary.
#67 Danny Shelton DT: We need a space eater at the 1 tech and this guy is exactly that.
#77 Malcom Brown DT: 1 tech with a little upfield athleticism.
#83 Denzel Perryman LB: This guy looked like he was due for a big payday, but injuries and falling out of favor for the Chargers he would be a nice depth player who can lay big hits and has some drop back in coverage ability.
#85 Anthony Chickillo DE: Very athletic and could be a rotational player at both end spots.
#100 Randall Cobb WR: Slot guy who can come be a playmaker and also play a bit outside.

There are some names out there to fill some key holes to the starters as well as some quality depth.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
What up daygoboy, didn't know you came over from DC.com. Good to see you, half my best draft knowledge used to come from you and @cnuball21 :)

cnuball21

Reaction score
Looking at the top 100 FA's that might I would look into if they hit the open market.
#9 Landon Collins S: Had a down year with the Giants but so did the whole defense. He is still young and only a year removed from being one of the top defensive players in the league.
#13 Tyran Mathieu S: Defensive play maker who can play single high, come play down in the slot which is something this team covets and needs a guy with a knack of creating turnovers.
#14 HaHa Clinton-Dix S: Has been a reliable player doesn't miss games due to injuries.
#30 Adrian Amos S: Very good athlete that covers a lot of ground and would be an upgrade at SS
#55 Kenny Vacarro S: Bounce back season at SS and can also come down and play in the slot.
#60 Tyler Eifert TE: Big time playmaker when healthy, and should be a cheap get on a incentive based contract.
#63 Jason Verrett CB: One of the top CB's in the league when healthy, but he has had a rough couple season with injuries. Like Eifert cheap get on a incentive based salary.
#67 Danny Shelton DT: We need a space eater at the 1 tech and this guy is exactly that.
#83 Denzel Perryman LB: This guy looked like he was due for a big payday, but injuries and falling out of favor for the Chargers he would be a nice depth player who can lay big hits and has some drop back in coverage ability.
#85 Anthony Chickillo DE: Very athletic and could be a rotational player at both end spots.
#100 Randall Cobb WR: Slot guy who can come be a playmaker and also play a bit outside.

There are some names out there to fill some key holes to the starters as well as some quality depth.

DTs and Ss, I love it!

No Grady Jarrett?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Everyone is going to get hung up on signing outside talent but let's not forget who is #1 on that list, either.

Malcom Brown at 25 years old with experience under Belichek is intriguing.

I'd also be curious about the asking price on Tevin Coleman and Latavius Murray. Both are proven #2 backs that I've liked for years as change ups that are more than just scat backs.

Jamison Crowder strikes me as a potential slot replacement, Funchess intrigues me but I think he's a progress blocker for Gallup. Rather have Crowder than Cobb.

There's a lot of guys at S that could help this defense, I wouldn't have a ton of preference as long as the price is right. Same with DT

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Is it reasonable to hope that the strong DT draft class will lower the cost of a Shelton or Brown in FA? Could be a lot of teams staying out of the bidding war and hoping for a draft opportunity.

Idk if that helps Dsllas though. On the one hand, Dallas likes to cover their basics with cheap FAs so they aren't desperate in the draft. On the other hand, Dallas is as likely as any team right now to avoid getting caught in a bidding war and plan on utilizing the draft instead.

Mr_437

Reaction score
TEs: starting to think Tyler Eifert should be on DAL radar for an incentive based deal. Eifert is a high reward player if he can stay healthy. Also, DAL still drafts a TE high, as if they didn't sign Eifert. Now TE position could be a strength w/o spending big.

Safety: staying cheap Vacarro fits in pretty well at SS. Although I prefer Amos.

RBs: bargain RB2 Alfred Blue, Javrious Allen and Benny Cunningham. Scatback RB3 Corey Grant (4.3 speed).

CB: always liked Jason Verrett would like to have him, but Richarday not.

Certainly would like to see a DT signed, Wilkerson may come cheap, just a matter of if he can still play.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
What up daygoboy, didn't know you came over from DC.com. Good to see you, half my best draft knowledge used to come from you and @cnuball21 :)

Lol thank you.

I have a 1-year-old now so my prospect watch is well behind where it used to be, but I will crunch it in post combine.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Is it reasonable to hope that the strong DT draft class will lower the cost of a Shelton or Brown in FA? Could be a lot of teams staying out of the bidding war and hoping for a draft opportunity.

Idk if that helps Dsllas though. On the one hand, Dallas likes to cover their basics with cheap FAs so they aren't desperate in the draft. On the other hand, Dallas is as likely as any team right now to avoid getting caught in a bidding war and plan on utilizing the draft instead.

Very reasonable and the DT market might be something teams look to address post draft considering how deep the class is, so by that time the money for a lot of teams will run a bit dry, and the teams with boatloads of money will for the most part have early 1st round picks and address the position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Caveat Emptor.

Collins likely too expensive. There are serious questions about his range in coverage. He has some Roy Williams type issues.

How is Malcom Brown ranked below his backup Danny Shelton?

If they give a Safety a multi-million dollar contract, it will be ET.

I thought HaHa was decent with the Packers but they didn't want to keep him and it appears the Skins don't either.

If Amos comes at a reasonable cost his current team is likely to keep him.

Perryman will want to start or at least have the opportunity.

Chickillo has been in a 3-4 defense. Teams that play the 3-4 might push up the price beyond his value to a 4-3 team.

I was a big fan of Randall Cobb in his earlier years but he has not looked right the past 2 or 3 years.

Eifert/Varrett

We've seen with Sean Lee that regardless of talent, the player is not valuable if they rarely play.

It might be a "bargain" to sign an Eifert type but there is an opportunity type cost involved when a player takes up a roster spot and practice snaps in training camp but then ends up injured much of the season. He makes Sean Lee look like Cal Ripken.

I studied Tre Boston prior to 2018. He was not impressive other than one year when he had 5 INTs.

Without the INTs, I would rate Byron Jones years at Safety over Boston.

Summary:
Danny Shelton might be a bargain run stopper because he was not a starter in 2018.

Eifert on a non-guaranteed contract such that they could see if he can make it through a pre-season healthy and if not cut him and move on.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Caveat Emptor.

Collins likely too expensive. There are serious questions about his range in coverage. He has some Roy Williams type issues.

I thought HaHa was decent with the Packers but they didn't want to keep him and it appears the Skins don't either.

Chickillo has been in a 3-4 defense. Teams that play the 3-4 might push up the price beyond his value to a 4-3 team.

I was a big fan of Randall Cobb in his earlier years but he has not looked right the past 2 or 3 years.

Eifert/Varrett

We've seen with Sean Lee that regardless of talent, the player is not valuable if they rarely play.

It might be a "bargain" to sign an Eifert type but there is an opportunity type cost involved when a player takes up a roster spot and practice snaps in training camp but then ends up injured much of the season. He makes Sean Lee look like Cal Ripken.

I studied Tre Boston prior to 2018. He was not impressive other than one year when he had 5 INTs.

Summary:
Danny Shelton might be a bargain run stopper because he was not a starter in 2018.

Eifert on a non-guaranteed contract such that they could see if he can make it through a pre-season healthy and if not cut him and move on.

Collins likely will get overpaid, but we should be calling about him and HaHa...both would be upgrades.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I like a lot of these players, but because Dallas needs to sign their own FAs, I really only see them only bargain bin shopping for outside FAs.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Caveat Emptor.

Eifert/Varrett

Summary:

I agree with most of this, but they are options that would be upgrades over what we currently have or be good depth pieces if the price is right.

Byron Jones wasn't bad at FS, but he isn't a playmaker and to have a FS who isn't going to be that is not ideal and thats why I think CB was his best position. Prevent the catch, or get your hands on the ball so someone else can.

Eifert and Varrett I agree that both of them cannot stay healthy so how valuable are they when they are on IR. With that being said they are uberly talented, and if they are on an incentive based 1 year show me deal whats the worst thing that can happen they knock your 4th TE or 6 CB off the roster and you might have to address that later in the season vs potentially big-time contributors?

I think there will be enough out there without breaking the bank where you can go into the draft feeling better about your team than you did ending the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with most of this, but they are options that would be upgrades over what we currently have or be good depth pieces if the price is right.

Byron Jones wasn't bad at FS, but he isn't a playmaker and to have a FS who isn't going to be that is not ideal and thats why I think CB was his best position. Prevent the catch, or get your hands on the ball so someone else can.

Eifert and Varrett I agree that both of them cannot stay healthy so how valuable are they when they are on IR. With that being said they are uberly talented, and if they are on an incentive based 1 year show me deal whats the worst thing that can happen they knock your 4th TE or 6 CB off the roster and you might have to address that later in the season vs potentially big-time contributors?

I think there will be enough out there without breaking the bank where you can go into the draft feeling better about your team than you did ending the season.
Yes, I'm a fan of Jones at CB.

I guess if Lee gets cut or retires then they can sign Eifert as the new designated player to be on the 53 but only occasionally on the 46. Seriously, Lee has been so good that overall it's been worth having him as a part-time player but it would be hard to have multiple players like that.

Be opportunistic.

It can be opportunity at the lower end like DT Woods, OG Sua-Filo, etc. or on the higher end which could be Earl Thomas who seems like he might prefer playing in Dallas over finding the max contract.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Yes, I'm a fan of Jones at CB.

I guess if Lee gets cut or retires then they can sign Eifert as the new designated player to be on the 53 but only occasionally on the 46. Seriously, Lee has been so good that overall it's been worth having him as a part-time player but it would be hard to have multiple players like that.

Be opportunistic.

It can be opportunity at the lower end like DT Woods, OG Sua-Filo, etc. or on the higher end which could be Earl Thomas who seems like he might prefer playing in Dallas over finding the max contract.

Earl Thomas wants to get paid what he deserves that has always been his stance.

Jonathan Hankins is another DT I forgot to mention who can fit the 1 tech spot.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Robert Quinn if he is let go? He might be another guy who would be scary playing opposite of D-Law.

Sydla

Reaction score
I might be in the minority, but I am a big HaHa fan. He also wouldn't be nearly as expensive as Collins. Amos would be an upgrade on Heath at SS. I still have a bit of hope Woods can develop into a really good FS. But I wouldn't be against upgrading him with Thomas or Clinton-Dix.

If this franchise was looking for a cheaper option to upgrade S, Tre Boston would be that guy, but this franchise is apparently letting "other stuff" dictate that decision.