Top 3 running backs out

DFWJC

Reaction score
So we pick up one of the spares they drop after they sign Chris Johnson, a guy we refused to look into?

Sounds like a truly terrifying plan.

:facepalm:

Not my plan at all. But IF we are looking for depth (btw, right now I think the Cowboys feel they have their 3) , there might a be a few teams that are worth looking at. In fact, I counted 14 teams that have guys battling for that 3rd spot that nay be as good as our Dunbar.

I was simply contributing to the thread in some small way.
Why are you being such a smart*** about this all the time?

Also, I know that you're bright enough to realize that taking on and paying an older vet like Johnson is entirely different that taking on a young player released by another team. The costs, risks, and maybe even locker room dynamics are all potentially very different.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does it create so much anger for you that they may need to go out and get another back?

It doesn't anger me in the least. The Cowboys point is, why sign a RB that isn't any better than what you have? The Cowboys believe in Randle, DMC and Dunbar. Those who don't agree are the ones with anger.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It doesn't anger me in the least. The Cowboys point is, why sign a RB that isn't any better than what you have? The Cowboys believe in Randle, DMC and Dunbar. Those who don't agree are the ones with anger.

At this stage, that very well could change as cut downs start taking place and of course depending on how our RB are fairing.

Jenky

Reaction score

IMO, the Cowboys believe in the line... It's not really those 3 guys. I just hope it's not arrogance that keeps us from running deep into the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not my plan at all. But IF we are looking for depth (btw, right now I think the Cowboys feel they have their 3) , there might a be a few teams that are worth looking at. In fact, I counted 14 teams that have guys battling for that 3rd spot that nay be as good as our Dunbar.

Why are you being such a smart*** about this all the time?

Because I think the Cowboys are making a mistake in their handling of this situation and I'm tired of fans trying to make excuses for them.

And all evidence thus far supports my position and not the Cowboys.

Take your prior post, you talk about the Cowboys picking up a Cardinals' spare -after the Cards replace that spare with Chris Johnson, who the Cowboys could have signed for weeks! - and act as if that is in any way 'OK'. It's not!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Because I think the Cowboys are making a mistake in their handling of this situation and I'm tired of fans trying to make excuses for them.

And all evidence thus far supports my position and not the Cowboys.

Take your prior post, you talk about the Cowboys picking up a Cardinals' spare -after the Cards replace that spare with Chris Johnson, who the Cowboys could have signed for weeks! - and act as if that is in any way 'OK'. It's not!

Also, I know that you're bright enough to realize that taking on and paying an older vet like Johnson is entirely different that taking on a young player released by another team. The costs, risks, and maybe even locker room dynamics are all potentially very different.

If you want us to look for a starter, that's different.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it will change in 2-3 weeks.

I think you may be right. I'm sure the Garrett and front office want to give these current guys some reps in pre season and then decide what they want to do. Having now all 3 out with injury is a bit disheartening

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm also smart enough to know the proven commodity that you would be getting. If you would care to compare Chris Johnson's body of work to anything that this team is counting on, just let me know?

If you want us to look for a starter, that's different.

Why wouldn't we, we don't have one!

dfense

Reaction score
Yes, we should bring in someone. Will we? No. Johnson and Lache will be getting more looks now. In a way that's a positive, but at the end of the day, these guys are longshots.

I wouldn't write of Johnson so fast. I hear he's turning some heads.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm also smart enough to know the proven commodity that you would be getting. If you would care to compare Chris Johnson's body of work to anything that this team is counting on, just let me know?

Why wouldn't we, we don't have one!

Well, I'm a long time Johnson fan since his ECU days so I won't argue with that. I'm on record saying he would be a lock for 1300-1500 yards in this offense. My only worry about him would have been the knucklehead factor.
But my comment was not about him, it was about the bottom end of various running groups and upgrading our depth if needed later.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I'm a long time Johnson fan since his ECU days so I won't argue with that. I'm on record saying he would be a lock for 1300-1500 yards in this offense. My only worry about him would have been the knucklehead factor.

I agree about the yardage. I think he's better than anything they're thinking of relying on right now. As for any 'knucklehead factor', unlike perpetual injuries, any factor like that has never forced him to miss actual games.

But my comment was not about him, it was about the bottom end of various running groups and upgrading our depth if needed later.

I think that considering we don't have proven starter, we should look there first.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I guess you just buy any old line they throw at you?

The circumstances have changed quite dramatically since Jones threw out that line after the draft. In that statement by Jones, he mentioned Williams as a guy they were thinking some of the backs in the draft werent better than. They cut him before the season started.

The other 3 RB's are dinged up. One hasnt practiced yet. I have no doubt once this plays out that you will be on the wrong side of the argument again.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we need a body, whats the word on Frenchie Thomas?

Pierre Thomas? He's the vet out there who makes some sense in Dallas to me. Solid all around, and can run the screen game well. And by all reports he's a solid guy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Pierre Thomas? He's the vet out there who makes some sense in Dallas to me. Solid all around, and can run the screen game well. And by all reports he's a solid guy.

I'm interested in Thomas as well due to his receiving abilities.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Thomas already rejected an offer from Houston.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think you may be right. I'm sure the Garrett and front office want to give these current guys some reps in pre season and then decide what they want to do. Having now all 3 out with injury is a bit disheartening

Well that and it will give them a chance to scout all of these other teams rosters during Pre-season.

There will be some quality RB's that get cut the closer we get to September.

I still like what we have though.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm interested in Thomas as well due to his receiving abilities.

Yeah, he's a team first vet who'd be a role player anyway. Temperament-wise he'd be a great fit, and the screens would seem to be a big plus for him if we were to want to push DMC.

This might already have been reported, but reading between the lines, Romo seems to like Gus, too:

"Gus did a good job yesterday. We had a short yardage and goal line," Romo said on KTCK-AM 1310 via The Morning News. "It's hard because you don't have live so you don't have the chance to show your ability to break a tackle, maybe get through a gap with a thud, not being a thud, it's not a tackle. I just think he showed a little bit when we were live yesterday in some of the shortage. He's got a chance."

It's be great if we'd hit on a healthy UDFA who could participate. Even another Phillip-Tanner level back would help. And Tony's a pretty good judge of talent. When he hints that a guy might have something, they usually do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well that and it will give them a chance to scout all of these other teams rosters during Pre-season.

There will be some quality RB's that get cut the closer we get to September.

I still like what we have though.

I agree, however on what we have currently I can't say I like or dislike at this stage. Nothing to go by at this point.