Top 30 Memorable Movie Lines

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_60/86_top_10_list.html

Movies are the most accessible (and arguably the most entertaining) form of art and, as a result, they amuse millions every year. Every guy has his favorite flick because they speak differently to each one of us, based on past experiences, taste and personality.
But a film's true impact on pop culture isn't measured in dollars and cents; its popularity is gauged by how often a movie is quoted. That said, check out some of the most memorable lines of American cinema... yes, I am talking to you.
"Today is a good day to die."
Old Lodge Skins, Little Big Man -- 1970
Jack Crabb is a white man who was raised among Indians in the 19th century. After becoming a gunslinger, marrying an Indian woman, and seeing her die at the hands of General Custer, Crabb becomes a scout for General Custer at the battle of the Little Big Horn. Crabb was the only white survivor. This particular line is spoken by Old Lodge Skins (Chief Dan George), one of the tribe elders, as he beckons the soldiers to come out and fight him.
"A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing."
Blake, Glengarry Glen Ross -- 1992
Based on a play by David Mamet, Glengarry Glen Ross tells the tale of stressed real estate salesmen who must absolutely meet their quotas if they're expected to keep their jobs. To boost morale, the company has Blake (Alec Baldwin), a very successful sales rep, come in. In a blistering speech of frightening reality, he explains to the hapless men what is needed, literally and figuratively, to make a sale.
"Yippee-ki-yay, motherf*cker."
John McClane, Die Hard -- 1988
Christmas Eve should have been a quiet night for New York cop John McClane (Bruce Willis), but he is forced to take action when terrorists take over the Los Angeles high-rise building where everyone -- including his wife -- is partying. Despite being barefoot and inefficiently armed with a gun and his wit, McClane is forced to use explosives to dispatch bad guys targeting a police armored car. After dropping his bomb, McClane says this line, in reference to the cowboy he's been compared to.
"Hasta la vista, baby."
The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day -- 1991
In the blockbuster sequel to 1984's The Terminator, Arnold Schwarzenegger is now fighting for the forces of good, as a robot who is sent back through time to protect the teenage boy (John Connor, played by Edward Furlong) who would become the world's savior in the future. In a moment of comic relief, John attempts to teach The Terminator some "cool" expressions to use when eliminating bad guys. "Hasta la vista, baby" is one of them... and of course, he uses it later on in the movie.
"But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you?"
Tommy DeVito, GoodFellas -- 1990
In Martin Scorsese's masterpiece (which was based on a true story), a group of gangsters -- Henry Hill, Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito (played by Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci, respectively) -- tries to climb the Mafia ranks. Joe Pesci's character is established as a dangerous killer, so when the "clown scene" rolls around, it's scary. Tommy tells a story and Henry comments on how genuinely funny it is, which prompts Pesci to say the famous line.
"Adrian!"
Rocky Balboa, Rocky -- 1976
Certainly one of the best sports movies of all time, Sylvester Stallone stars as a struggling boxer whose dream is to one day have his shot at a big fight. When he finally gets a chance to fight the heavyweight champion of the world, he ends up losing the bout. But he goes the distance and manages to make shy Adrian (Talia Shire) fall in love with him. When he screams his girlfriend's name at the end of the movie, we know he's experienced his own victory, and life couldn't be any sweeter for Rocky.
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works."
Gordon Gekko, Wall Street -- 1987
Wall Street is the ultimate "yuppie" movie, in which a young stockbroker looks for that one important client who will make him rich. He finds him in Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas), who takes him under his unethical wing. When Gekko utters this speech, he's addressing stockholders at a meeting; his philosophy is that as long as a company is led by someone who wants to make money, there will be profits for everyone.
"Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'"
Ilsa Lund, Casablanca -- 1942
Humphrey Bogart stars as Rick Blaine, a cynical, insensitive American living in exile in Casablanca during World War II. Always looking out for number one, his plans are turned upside down when his former flame, Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman), comes back into his life, asking for his help. Contrary to popular belief, it's Bergman who says this line, hoping to appeal to Rick's nostalgic tender side.
"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"
Howard Beale, Network -- 1976
A major TV network isn't doing business like it used to, so entertainment expert Diana Christensen (Faye Dunaway) is brought in to revive the news division. But this triggers a nervous breakdown for anchorman Howard Beale, played by Peter Finch, who is fired due to low ratings. While on the air, Beale tells viewers that television, the government and society in general are rotten, and that he plans to commit suicide. Incidentally, this boosts ratings, and that's when he tells viewers to rebel against the status quo.
"I coulda been a contender!"
Terry Malloy, On the Waterfront -- 1954
This timeless Marlon Brando movie is about a New Jersey longshoreman who witnesses mobsters taking over his union by committing murders. Struggling with his conscience, he ponders over whether he should speak out. When he utters the famous line, he's actually blaming his brother for keeping him from becoming a prize-winning boxer by telling him to take a dive at a crucial match. Oh, how he could have been somebody...

"You can't handle the truth."
Col. Nathan R. Jessup, A Few Good Men -- 1992
A U.S. Marine is killed on the military base at Guantanamo Bay because he wants to leave, incapable of being bullied by his fellow soldiers and officers. Defense lawyers Lt. Daniel Kaffee (Tom Cruise) and Lt. Cmdr. JoAnne Galloway (Demi Moore) are out to prove that the base commander, Jack Nicholson's Col. Jessup, is the one who ordered retribution against the victim. During a fiery cross-examination, Kaffee harasses Jessup until the latter's pride gives him away, forcing him to fire this line at the Navy attorney.
"Houston, we have a problem."
Jim Lovell, Apollo 13 -- 1995
Based on the true story of a NASA mission that proved Murphy's Law, Apollo 13 stars Tom Hanks as astronaut Jim Lovell. His crew is supposed to land on the moon but technical difficulties start piling up, forcing the ground crew to come up with an urgent solution to bring the astronauts home safely. When Hanks says this famous line, no one knows that it's only the beginning of their problems.
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind -- 1939
Gone with the Wind is a favorite among many women, but Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) is the focus of our attention here. For the duration of the film, he's in an on-and-off relationship with Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh), a headstrong narcissist. But just before the end credits start to roll, Butler gets tired of putting up with her crap and brushes her off with this cool line. More power to him.
"Heeere's Johnny!"
Jack Torrance, The Shining -- 1980
This adaptation of the Stephen King novel of the same name is about a husband and wife who become the caretakers of a deserted (and haunted) mountain resort, and bring their son along. But soon, madness sets in for Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), a novelist suffering from writer's block. Stranded in the hotel because of a snowstorm, Torrance is gradually driven to insanity, which leads him to break through the bathroom door with an axe and say this line, evoking The Tonight Show.
"If you build it, he will come."
The Voice, Field of Dreams -- 1989
Kevin Costner stars as Ray Kinsella, a farmer who hears voices: if he builds a baseball diamond in his cornfield, something will happen. Sure enough, the ghosts of dead legendary players are playing right before him, proving that baseball was great when money wasn't a factor, and that people once played for the sheer thrill of the game.
"Show me the money!"
Jerry Maguire, Jerry Maguire -- 1996
Tom Cruise is Jerry Maguire, a once successful sports agent who is struggling to sign up a mediocre player so he can stay in business. But as hot as he used to be, he meets his match with NFL player Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding Jr.). Tidwell is an exuberant character who will only consider signing a contract with Maguire if the latter can promise to fight for him and land him a huge contract. As a result, Maguire is forced to scream, "Show me the money!" while on the phone with Tidwell. Back in 1996, you couldn't stop people from using that line everywhere you went.
"Wax on, wax off."
Mr. Miyagi, The Karate Kid -- 1984
The Karate Kid was one of the reasons to go to the movies in the '80s. It tells the story of a new kid in town, Daniel (Ralph Macchio), who is tormented by rich karate aficionados. In order to confront them in a tournament, the kid gets tutored by a handyman, Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita). The old man teaches Daniel that the heart and mind are more important than fists. One day, he has the kid wash cars, telling him to "wax on" with one hand and "wax off" with the other. In the end, Daniel realizes that washing cars served as karate practice.

"[...] You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
"Dirty" Harry Callahan, Dirty Harry -- 1971
Inspector Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) is the kind of police detective everyone wants on their side. He's ruthless and determined to catch the serial killer du jour. Like most Clint Eastwood movies, Eastwood delivers a classic line that makes the flick that much more memorable. This one is uttered when Callahan corners a homicidal bad guy. Eastwood makes a speech on how his revolver is the most powerful handgun in the world, and makes the guy wonder whether he has any bullets left to shoot him with.
"Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me."
Benjamin Braddock, The Graduate -- 1967
In this classic romantic drama (which was controversial in its day), Dustin Hoffman stars as Benjamin Braddock, an aimless college graduate who has just returned home. While his parents would like him to date the daughter of their friends, the Robinsons, it's Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) -- Elaine's mom -- who's interested in Benjamin. In the pivotal scene that everyone remembers, Mrs. Robinson puts the moves on the oddball kid, prompting him to bewilderedly state the obvious with this famous line.
"What we've got here is... failure to communicate."
Captain, Cool Hand Luke -- 1967
This critically acclaimed film stars Paul Newman as Luke, a prison camp inmate. He is independent and rebellious, and refuses to submit to the authority figures. Strother Martin portrays the head honcho, "Captain," and he does everything in his power to break Luke's will. Confronted with Luke's stubbornness, the Captain uses this line while expressing that Luke doesn't seem to understand the way things work at the camp.
"The name's Bond, James Bond"
James Bond, James Bond series -- 1962
Everyone's favorite British secret agent will forever remain 007. He's got the gadgets, the babes, and the panache to save the world in style. Whenever he introduces himself for the first time, whether to a new conquest or an evil foe, he uses this line. No matter which actor has portrayed the character over the years -- Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, or Pierce Brosnan -- this line is always expected and underscores the suaveness of the ultra-cool secret agent.
"I'll be back."
The Terminator, The Terminator -- 1984
Before Arnold Schwarzenegger was a bankable movie star, he was The Terminator, a killing machine sent back through time to kill a woman (Sarah Connor) who will one day give birth to the leader of a future human rebellion against robots. Ah-nuld says these three words in a police station after a cop tells him he'll have to wait to see the woman. He does come back moments later as he had promised, but this time he drives a car through the wall. Schwarzenegger movies are always known for their crazy explosions and catchy one-liners.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
Lt. Col. William Kilgore, Apocalypse Now -- 1979
Apocalypse Now is about the effects that the Vietnam War had on people's sanity, perhaps because it was the only way for them to cope with the horror. Robert Duvall portrays such a character. Obsessed with surfing, Colonel Kilgore is a twisted air cavalry commander. He says this infamous line after firebombing an enemy village, reveling in the massacre.
"Say hello to my little friend!"
Tony Montana, Scarface -- 1983
Al Pacino is Tony Montana, a Cuban immigrant making a name for himself in Miami's lucrative drug trade. He's come up fast and hard, establishing himself both as a legend and a ruthless thug. But when assassins attempt to eliminate him, Montana won't roll over easily. He produces his own machine gun and utters this line, making his last stand.
"Go ahead, make my day."
"Dirty" Harry Callahan, Sudden Impact -- 1983
Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry Callahan is back on the streets of San Francisco to shoot first and ask questions later. Sidetracked from his quest to uncover a female serial killer, he finds himself facing a hostage-taker. As macho as ever, he dares his suspect to shoot the hostage with this line, rejoicing in the fact that if the bad guy does, Callahan will have an excuse to kill the guy.
"Shaken, not stirred."
James Bond, James Bond series -- 1962
And we're back to 007. This secret agent is always assigned to save the world and I don't think he would take the job if he weren't allowed to do it in style. For this reason, his drink of choice is the vodka martini, which he takes -- you guessed it -- shaken, not stirred. Sometimes it's a wonder how he manages to shoot straight despite his drinking habit...
"The force will be with you, always."
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars -- 1977
Set in a galaxy far, far away, Star Wars is about Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), a young man on a mission to save Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) from Darth Vader. Along the way, Luke discovers that the father he never knew was once a valiant Jedi warrior. Consequently, he finds himself an old Jedi Master who teaches him to harness the mystical force that makes the Jedi so powerful. Urged on by Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) with this line, Luke Skywalker manages to fight and defeat the evil empire.
"Are you talking to me?"
Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver -- 1976
Robert De Niro stars as Travis Bickle, a troubled Vietnam veteran who becomes a New York taxi driver. He soon discovers that the city is riddled with crime and despicable people. At one point, he arms himself to the teeth hoping to assassinate a hypocritical politician. When he says this famous line over and over again, he's staring at himself menacingly in the mirror, pretending that he's being challenged to a fight.
#2"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
Rick B
laine, Casablanca -- 1942
Once again, we meet Rick at his Cafe Americain in Casablanca. The scene that features this line takes place at a critical time in the story. Rick is struggling with himself and decides that he loves Ilsa after all, and that he will do anything to help her. By saying this legendary sentence, he himself cannot believe he's about to put his life on the line for someone else.
"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
Michael Corleone, The Godfather -- 1972
The Godfather is certainly one of the most influential American movies ever made. It deals with the youngest child of a New York Mafia family, and his transformation from respectable man into ruthless gangster, to preserve the family business and avenge his father being attacked. This line is spoken by both Marlon Brando (as Don Vito Corleone, he says "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse") and Al Pacino (as Michael), as further proof that whoever uses the threat of violence during negotiations will prevail.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli"

"Enthusiasms...enthusiasms...enthusiasms...."

joseephuss

Reaction score
"I know it was you Fredo"

"We're going to need a bigger boat"

"Badges, we don't need any stinkin badges"

Several John Wayne lines could be added.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
"Put the coffee down! Coffee is for closers" GlenGary

"Deserves got nuthin to do with it" Unforgiven

"See ya later, Charlie" Seabiscuit

"See ya in the next life" Midnight Run

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
A pledge-pin..... on your UNIFORM?

Thank you Sir, may I have another

The Germans? Forget it... he's on a roll...

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
My fav. From the movie Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood.

Little Bill - You just shot a unarmed man.

Eastwood - Well then he shoulda armed himself.

That was the best.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Im shocked that "Luke, I am your father" isnt on there....

So many great ones from Samuel L. Jackson:

"What? What aint no country I ever heard of, they speak English in What?"

"Yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in Hell!"

"English motherf*cker, do you speak it?"

"Oh Im sorry, did I break your concentration?"

"DOES HE LOOK LIKE A B*TCH!?!?"

:D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Im shocked that "Luke, I am your father" isnt on there....

So many great ones from Samuel L. Jackson:

"What? What aint no country I ever heard of, they speak English in What?"

"Yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in Hell!"

"English motherf*cker, do you speak it?"

"Oh Im sorry, did I break your concentration?"

"DOES HE LOOK LIKE A B*TCH!?!?"

:D
It would have to be one charming pig. 10 times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres. :D

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
"Wow. That sounds like a really good deal. Let me give you a better one.

How bout - I give you the finger {commence} and you give me my phone call."

Apologies if I butchered it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
"Wow. That sounds like a really good deal. Let me give you a better one.

How bout - I give you the finger {commence} and you give me my phone call."

Apologies if I butchered it.
Or the short version

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love this one from Ghostbusters...

Dr. Raymond Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes, it's true. This man has no dick.

=====

League fo their own...

Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying, there's no crying in baseball.

I'm going to go home, grab a shower and a shave, give the wife a little pickle tickle and be on my way.

if i had your job id kill myself wait here ill see if i can dig up a pistol

By the way, I loved you in The Wizard of Oz.

=====

Con Air

Cyrus 'the Virus' Grissom: Oh, nothing makes me sadder than the agent lost his bladder on the airplane.

["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background.] Garland Greene: Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

And perhaps the WORST movie line ever....

Poe : Put the Bunny back in the box

====

Animal house

Only one really kills me...

Well what the hell are we suspose to do you MOron.

====

Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity.

You're a lot of woman, you know that? Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

=====

Blazing saddles.

What in the wide wide world of sports is going on.

Don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Candy-gram for Mongo, Candy-Gram for Mongo
Me Mongo
Sign Here
Mongo Like candy

Excuse me while I whip this out.

Gal-darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a 20-dollar *****.

Gentlemen, please. Rest your sphincters.

Hedley Lamarr: What crimes have you Committed.
Bart: Stampeding cattle.
Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
Bart: Through the Vatican?
Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinky! Sign here.

===

That's enough funny ones for now.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Blazing saddles.

What in the wide wide world of sports is going on.

Don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Candy-gram for Mongo, Candy-Gram for Mongo
Me Mongo
Sign Here
Mongo Like candy

Excuse me while I whip this out.

Gal-darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a 20-dollar *****.

Gentlemen, please. Rest your sphincters.

Hedley Lamarr: What crimes have you Committed.
Bart: Stampeding cattle.
Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
Bart: Through the Vatican?
Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinky! Sign here

You forgot

HEY where the white women at????? :D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
It's the subtle differences, like for instance. Do you know what the call a quarter pounder in Amsterdam?

A quarter pounder?

No they have the metric system over there. It's called a Royale with Cheese

What do they call a Whooper?

I don't know I didn't go in to Burger King :D

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity.

You're a lot of woman, you know that? Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

That is one of the best movie for quotable lines.

What an incredible Cinderella story, this unknown comes outta nowhere to lead the pack, at Augusta. He's on his final hole, he's about 455 yards away - he's gonna hit about a two-iron, I think. Oh, he got all 'a' that one! The crowd is standing on its feet here, the normally reserved Augusta crowd - going wild - for this young Cinderella, he's come outta nowhere, he's got about 350 yards left, he's gonna hit about a five-iron, don't you think? He's got a beautiful back swing - that's - Oh, he got all 'a' that one! He's gotta be pleased with that...The crowd is just on its feet here, uh -He's the Cinderella boy, uh - tears in his eyes I guess as he lines up this last shot, he's got about 195 yards left, he's got about a - it looks like he's got about an eight-iron. This crowd has gone deathly silent - Cinderella story - outta nowhere, a former greens keeper now...about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac - It's in the Hole!

Fifty bucks the Smails kid picks his nose

Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you though.