"Top Defenses" are overrated; this is still a QB league

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's only had one defense lower than 8th best in his now 8 Super Bowls. The 2011 NE defense was 15th in scoring. They lost to the 9-7 Giants.
If I recall correctly that 2011 defense was ranked 31st. I don’t know about scoring defenses . That’s not the official ranking stat.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
There was just an article on landryhat where Romo himself commented on this...

“At the end of the day football is really about getting a dominant defense, carrying it through, and, if you get any kind of good quarterback playing, you have a chance to win the title every year,” Romo told TheRinger.com. “And if you get a great quarterback you’re going to have good seasons, but you will normally lose somewhere to a great defense along the way. And that’s the story of the NFL … and I think you’ll see that in the future.”

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
If I recall correctly that 2011 defense was ranked 31st. I don’t know about scoring defenses . That’s not the official ranking stat.

2013 is the year you’re thinking of but the 8-8 all runs together. Never have broken the top 10 since Wade left... or since Parcells’ players left. However we choose to take it.

Dallas Cowboys Total Defense Rankings from 2007-2015
2007 – 9th (13-3)
2008 – 8th (9-7)
2009 – 9th (11-5)
2010 – 23rd (6-10)
2011 – 14th (8-8)
2012 – 19th (8-8)
2013 – 32nd (8-8)
2014 – 19th (12-4)
2015 – 17th (4-12)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2013 is the year you’re thinking of but the 8-8 all runs together. Never have broken the top 10 since Wade left... or since Parcells’ players left. However we choose to take it.

Dallas Cowboys Total Defense Rankings from 2007-2015
2007 – 9th (13-3)
2008 – 8th (9-7)
2009 – 9th (11-5)
2010 – 23rd (6-10)
2011 – 14th (8-8)
2012 – 19th (8-8)
2013 – 32nd (8-8)
2014 – 19th (12-4)
2015 – 17th (4-12)
We were discussing the Pats defense I thought ? That’s what I was responding to anyway.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We have a franchise QB but most of the fans here won't allow him to develop and sit back and wait for one mistake so they can bash him. By doing that they miss the entire point that it's the coaching staff.

Most will agree Romo was a top 5-10 QB with Dallas...... Didn't win nothing.

Look at the Rams and Jacksonville. Terrible teams that changed coaches and with almost the same roster turned the team around. Look at Philly with Pederson, able to win games with a subpar QB. Belichek won double digit games with Cassel.

Our coaches don't adjust and have no clue how to put our players in positions to succeed. They think talent will always beat lesser talent.

This is a Madden reference but it works. They have a mode called ultimate team where you get players to make a team. These players have different ratings and the higher the rating the better the player is. Now a person can spend real money to get the best players and have a stack team but I have seen people with a bad ranked team beat other with the best of teams because of scheme and play calling. Even though they aren't the fastest or strongest they are able to move players around in a position to win.

Until folks realize we go into every game behind because of coaching the better. Romo and Dak have the talent to win it..... Coaching gets it done.

Look at the Giants beating the undefeated Patriots. Patriots were more talented but the Giants were more prepared. This year with Jacksonville beating Pittsburgh, Tennessee beating KC. Foles beating Vikings and Atlanta
Spot on post and well explained. After watching NE with a bunch of injuries( Gronk knocked out vs Jaquars) and a no name D make it back to the Super Bowl how can anyone not realize OUR biggest weakness by far is Garrett!! Garrett does the small things to lose vs good teams, while NE does the small things to win vs good teams.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This is the worst defense the Pats have put on the field in over a decade. They are far from top 10. The Jags were the better team, but they didn't have Brady. Good luck reproducing what the Pats do every year without Brady.
They didn’t have Belicheat!

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Spot on post and well explained. After watching NE with a bunch of injuries( Gronk knocked out vs Jaquars) and a no name D make it back to the Super Bowl how can anyone not realize OUR biggest weakness by far is Garrett!! Garrett does the small things to lose vs good teams, while NE does the small things to win vs good teams.
Yep. Green Bay in the playoffs 2016 was a prime example of it.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You're right. It's coaching.

Now the good thing is, Jerry is talking about scheme and better coaching. So far we are upgrading coaching, yet to be seen at QB coach though. Jerry mentioned that we aren't doing the same thing every game...... Which means game planning. Finally Jerry is seeing the real problem and making an effort to fix it.

It won't be a popular opinion but I would keep Garrett if our scheme and playcalling changed

Doomsay

Reaction score
Meh, this is a generational cheating QB supported by hugely biased refs league. Those bs pi non pi calls in the jags game didnt happen, we are seeing 2 great defenses with questionable QBs in the Super Bowl.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You're right. It's coaching.

Now the good thing is, Jerry is talking about scheme and better coaching. So far we are upgrading coaching, yet to be seen at QB coach though. Jerry mentioned that we aren't doing the same thing every game...... Which means game planning. Finally Jerry is seeing the real problem and making an effort to fix it.

It won't be a popular opinion but I would keep Garrett if our scheme and playcalling changed
If Garrett stays, I don’t think the scheme will change that much, besides his in game adjustments are non existent, to late, or ineffective. I’ve seen way to much of Garrett. He needs to resign or be fired.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Garrett stays, I don’t think the scheme will change that much, besides his in game adjustments are non existent, to late, or ineffective. I’ve seen way to much of Garrett. He needs to resign or be fired.
I agree he should be fired. That being said he isn't and if you listen to Jerry there will be changes in scheme and play calling.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I agree he should be fired. That being said he isn't and if you listen to Jerry there will be changes in scheme and play calling.
I hope there will be changes in the scheme, but you know the old saying, “it is hard to teach old dogs( Linehan and Garrett) new tricks. We shall see.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
1)Great GM - hires right personnel/drafts right guys
2)Coaching - self explanatory
3)QB - Gun slinger type or Bus driver - Neither can be turnover machines
4)Defense - Pressure on the QB

You have all of those, you have a Super Bowl caliber team.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
"What happened to that vaunted Jaguars D?"

Shredded in Pittsburgh AND New England

"What about the Vikings?"

Shredded by Nick Foles in a championship game (let that sink in for a while).

"Okay, well, Philly's D can take down Brady and the Patriots."

You know that will be the rhetoric over the next 2 weeks. If you believe that, let me have some of that kool aid you're drinking.

Enough of this "build through the defense" crap. Give me a franchise QB with a stout OL, good HC, and serviceable defense and you can keep your "top notch" D with a pedestrian QB. This is the way it is in the modern day NFL. Especially since so many defensive maneuvers that were acceptable 30-40 years ago would get flagged today.

Edit: New England's D is better than average for sure, probably top 10 in the league, but they can be had too. But when you have Brady and Bill...
All 4 defenses in the final 4 ranked as top 5 units.

You're not making any sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Meh, this is a generational cheating QB supported by hugely biased refs league. Those bs pi non pi calls in the jags game didnt happen, we are seeing 2 great defenses with questionable QBs in the Super Bowl.
It took a great effort by the referee staff to place Brady in this super bowl.

I truly think the NFL made a mistake on this one. I have people who know I'm into football asking me about it, and complete non-conspiracy people seeing it as crooked. Bad, bad image problem was just created.