Top Gun: Maverick Trailer

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked the first one, own it and watch it a couple of times a year but this trailer looks too CGI, too much had a video game feel, to see it in a theater, I can wait for the DVD.

And what does it say about film making when they have to go back 30+ years to pull up a sequel?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I liked the first one, own it and watch it a couple of times a year but this trailer looks too CGI, too much had a video game feel, to see it in a theater, I can wait for the DVD.

And what does it say about film making when they have to go back 30+ years to pull up a sequel?
According to the clips above, it looks like it's something Cruise wanted to do.

nobody

Reaction score
Partially convinced Tom Cruise is a cyborg.

He finally is showing some age now but for a long time he looked the exact same age for almost 30 years lol.

He started aging when he had a daughter with Katie Holmes. I think some of his immortality life essence got taken from him then and was made mortal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
After talking to a retired Colonel, I'm convinced that if Maverick did something that kept him at the rank of Captain that long, they'd have drummed him out of the Navy long before now.
that is correct... at some point, if you are an officer that they will not promote, they will boot you out.... but when in the hell has movies followed along with the realities of the real world.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I always thought the original was overrated. Pretty corny, and more about a cute young Tom Cruise and silly catch phrases than content. And I agree - they could have done better than Kelly McGillis.

The trailer to this one makes me think it could be better than the original.
better than McGillis? How so? Better looking?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He might be, but I see what you're saying. Make it more about the next generation.
that would make zero sense to me. A top gun sequel can only be about Maverick. Why have Tom Cruise in the movie at all? He doesnt play small bit parts in movies, unless he wants to like Tropic Thunder.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
better than McGillis? How so? Better looking?

That was the context of the comment I was responding to, yes. In my opinion the movie was really more about aesthetics than the quality of the acting and dialogue anyway, which was kind of a waste of the talents of some normally pretty good actors.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That was the context of the comment I was responding to, yes. In my opinion the movie was really more about aesthetics than the quality of the acting and dialogue anyway, which was kind of a waste of the talents of some normally pretty good actors.
it was a total popcorn movie at every turn. They could have really delved into Maverick's character much more, but it was about the individual scenes. The bar scene and the Loving Feeling, Meg Ryan was absolutely a dreaful character IMO, the motorcycle scene (by the way, helmet laws didnt exist back then in Ca, not sure how they gonna pull of that today without putting a hlemet on him,) the jet scense were great, cmon, the volleyball scene??/ The over all movie, I LOVED, but when you break it down to its parts, it was pretty weak.

Hopefully, they do try to delve a little deeper into Maverick this time , especially since Cruise is much older and they cant get away with just a cocky aviator anymore.

BY the way, the jet scenes look amazing in the trailer. Recruiting went way up fr the military after this movie came out in 1986. I dont expect that to happein in 2020.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
that would make zero sense to me. A top gun sequel can only be about Maverick. Why have Tom Cruise in the movie at all? He doesnt play small bit parts in movies, unless he wants to like Tropic Thunder.
I didn't say I agree. I just said I see what he's saying. That said, the name of the movie is Top Gun, so it could be about him as an instructor, and the guys he teaches.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
it was a total popcorn movie at every turn. They could have really delved into Maverick's character much more, but it was about the individual scenes. The bar scene and the Loving Feeling, Meg Ryan was absolutely a dreaful character IMO, the motorcycle scene (by the way, helmet laws didnt exist back then in Ca, not sure how they gonna pull of that today without putting a hlemet on him,) the jet scense were great, cmon, the volleyball scene??/ The over all movie, I LOVED, but when you break it down to its parts, it was pretty weak.

Hopefully, they do try to delve a little deeper into Maverick this time , especially since Cruise is much older and they cant get away with just a cocky aviator anymore.

BY the way, the jet scenes look amazing in the trailer. Recruiting went way up fr the military after this movie came out in 1986. I dont expect that to happein in 2020.
Is the road he's riding on part of the airbase? If so, is that still subject to helmet laws?

DFWJC

Reaction score
There's a ton of movies that have got buzz in the last 20 years that I have not gone to see. A Ton.

But I did see Top Gun.

And that's me.
Can't say I've ever met someone that saw Top Gun when it first came out that didn't like it.