Top Ten Books

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Those Jordan books are very good.

Now you got my curiosity up. I'm gonna have to get the Salvatore books.

Peirs Anthony and Barbara Hambly are good authors as well.
Get the Icewind Dale Trilogy. Its the origin of Drizzt, the image most tattoo'ed on arms of scifi nerds ever. lol.

Absolutely fascinating character. An illegal build in D&D the guy actually played this character in his weekly pen and paper sessions.

Irvinite

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Get the Icewind Dale Trilogy. Its the origin of Drizzt, the image most tattoo'ed on arms of scifi nerds ever. lol.

Absolutely fascinating character. An illegal build in D&D the guy actually played this character in his weekly pen and paper sessions.

Also try the The Dark Elf Trilogy.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Man its tuff to name just 10.

The Stand-S. King
Poetics-Aristotle
The Fountainhead-Ayn Rand
The Invisible Man-Ralph Ellison
The Wheel of Time series-Robert Jordan
The Black Company-Glen Cook
North Dallas Forty-Pete Gent
The Education of Henry Adams-Biographical
Principia Mathematica(sp?)-Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell
Malcolm X Autobiography-Malcom X and Jack Haley.
Don Quixote-Miguel Cervantes
Assorted Shakespeare
Brave New World-Aldous Huxley
1984-Orwell

Great list. 2-3 of these almost made mine. I do apologize, though. Some of the information is misleading. Please don't take it as insulting to correct something:

The book written by Ralph Ellison is Invisible Man, without the word 'the.' It is misleading, because the book is not about a truly transparent man, as The Invisible Man by HG WElls is. (I only noticed it because it almost made my list.)

Again, just pointing it out. I am not without error. In my post, I wrote that The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was by Adolf Hitler. Quite the opposite...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
No Order

Animal Farm- Orwell
The Stand - S.King
It - S.King
Swan Song - Robert McCammon
Shogun - James Clavell (probably my fave)
The Bible (two different versions :devil: )
Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck
Watchers - Koontz
Treasure Island - R.L. Stephenson
Harry Potter series - yes I know it sounds silly but they are good books. :D

Wow! "The Stand" and "It"...

I loved both of them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really love "Killer Techniques to Succeed with Newspaper, Magazine and Yellow Page Advertising"

I don't remember the brilliant person that wrote it though... Hmm.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My reading habits tend to sway towards "non-fiction" outside of Stephen King but here it goes...

1. The 80/20 Principle by Richard Koch
2. Looking Out for #1 by Robert Ringer
3. The Gettysburg Campaign by Edwin Coddington
4. It by Stephen King
5. Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern Railroad by Paul Pietrak
6. The Natural Laws of Business by Richard Koch
7. The Stand by Stephen King
8. How to Succeed in Business by Breaking all the Rules by Dan Kennedy
9. The Bill James Baseball Historical Abstract by Bill James
10. The Lonely Lady by Harold Robbins.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
1.The Bible

2. Red Storm Rising (The Best Book Clancy has ever written)

3. Left Behind Series (actually very good through the first 5 books)

4. Any R. A. Salvatore Book (Fantasy)

5. The Shining (S.K.)

6. Any James Patterson Book

7. Harry Potter (best in order is Prisoner, Goblet, Pheonix, Stone, and Chamber)

8. Moby Dick

9. We were soldiers once and young Lt Col Hal Moore

10. Bag of Bones (S.K.)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
For all you people listing the Bible as your favorite book, you should give The New Interpreter's Study Bible a shot. I would probably list that as one of my favorite books of all time. I confess, except for a few fun stories that remind me of classic mythology, the Bible has always bored me until I read it in this version. Since I'm a history and archaeology fanatic, this was the way to go. Basically, each page devotes about 25% to the Biblical verses but underneath it and covering the rest of the page is a fascinating study of that portion's verse and what was meant by the writers, what is lost or gained in the translations of ancient text, what was going on in history at the time, what evidence they've found regarding those events, and other fun stuff. The book was compiled by a huge list of religious scholars from all over the world. The book has opened my eyes to Christian and Judaic history.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Great list. 2-3 of these almost made mine. I do apologize, though. Some of the information is misleading. Please don't take it as insulting to correct something:

The book written by Ralph Ellison is Invisible Man, without the word 'the.' It is misleading, because the book is not about a truly transparent man, as The Invisible Man by HG WElls is. (I only noticed it because it almost made my list.)

Again, just pointing it out. I am not without error. In my post, I wrote that The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was by Adolf Hitler. Quite the opposite...
You are absolutely correct and of course I take no offense. Especially with people potentially interested in investigating those works.
Invisible Man is obvious a largely different breed than the rather fantastical The Invisible Man movies and whatnot.

Ellison may have penned the absolute best representation of minority disenfranchisement ever.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a truly great business book (most of which I HATE) try "Flight of the Buffalo" by Ralph Stayer...

I saw him at a seminar...figured it was going to be awful...he was so good, I went up to talk to him after he finished speaking. A few months later, I worked with one of his associates.

Great book.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
My reading habits tend to sway towards "non-fiction" outside of Stephen King but here it goes...

1. The 80/20 Principle by Richard Koch
2. Looking Out for #1 by Robert Ringer
3. The Gettysburg Campaign by Edwin Coddington
4. It by Stephen King
5. Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern Railroad by Paul Pietrak
6. The Natural Laws of Business by Richard Koch
7. The Stand by Stephen King
8. How to Succeed in Business by Breaking all the Rules by Dan Kennedy
9. The Bill James Baseball Historical Abstract by Bill James
10. The Lonely Lady by Harold Robbins.

Hey, MW...pretty interesting...you don't read fiction books but you wrote one.

:D