Top Ten Books

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hoov said:
Juke, I liked Da Vinci Code as well.
Also The Prophet is on my list too. Great Book !!!

I will add...

The Road Less Traveled - Scott Peck
The Man from Nazareth - Harry Fosdick
Modern Interpretation of the Bible - Harry Fosdick
Anything by Carl Jung - greatly influenced some of my thinking
The Kyballion - Three Initiates
The Face - Koontz - just for fun, i like him because he adds the element of supernatural.

Just about to start a new book:

Chogyan Trungpa - His Life and Vision

Did you read the "follow up" to the Scott Peck best seller? It's called "People of the Lie"..pretty intense book...

Jung...anything about synchronicity...there's also a great book joining the seemingly disparate philosophies of Jung and Wilhelm Reich...great book.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Too many but it has been awhile since I picked up anything other than a school book but here goes...

1. Bible (God)
2. Dune (trilogy) (Frank Herbert)
3. Lord Of The Rings (trilogy) (J.R.R Tolkien)
4. The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Alex Haley)
5. The Stand (S. King)
6. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
7. Black Like Me (John Howard Griffin)
8. Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley (Timothy White)
9. Racehoss: Big Emma's Boy (Albert Race Sample)
10. The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK & Clayborne Carson)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Too many but it has been awhile since I picked up anything other than a school book but here goes...

1. Bible (God)
5. The Stand (S. King)

Black Like Me was a GREAT book...same with Catch a Fire...and I'll read anything about Malcolm...bu the Haley book was a gem.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have yet to read the last few Dark Tower books....I will have to get around to it, but now that it has been so long since I read the others I will have to start from scratch.

On a side note have you noticed the themes that run in many of his books that tie together....like the Talisman, The Black House, It, The dark Tower series and Dream catcher to name a few.....the theme of ...Following the Line.

It will be worth your time, but it will take awhile.

I have noticed the themes. In fact, there is an entire book written about that. I'll dig up the name later.

I feel that King actually went downhill as a writer when he tried to tie ALL of his books into the Dark Tower series. His early work, Carrie, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, is almost like a completely different writer than his later stuff.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk said:
It will be worth your time, but it will take awhile.

I have noticed the themes. In fact, there is an entire book written about that. I'll dig up the name later.

I feel that King actually went downhill as a writer when he tried to tie ALL of his books into the Dark Tower series. His early work, Carrie, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, is almost like a completely different writer than his later stuff.

Not only the line them in those books.

But if you read Rose Madder and Misery....there is a space where each main character sees each other in sort of an eclipse.

In dream catcher and It - the dairy waterworks.

One other book of his that I liked is the Green Mile....the story is great and everything but part of the thrill of it when it was new was the whole cliffhanger thing they did where you read small doses and had to wait for the next part of the story (not wait for years ala dark tower series).

Hoov

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Did you read the "follow up" to the Scott Peck best seller? It's called "People of the Lie"..pretty intense book...

Jung...anything about synchronicity...there's also a great book joining the seemingly disparate philosophies of Jung and Wilhelm Reich...great book.

YEAH, i read the people of the lie, that is intense, and an inlaw of mine fit the mold perfectly, kind of scary.

Whats the book on similarities between Jung and Reich ?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Not only the line them in those books.

But if you read Rose Madder and Misery....there is a space where each main character sees each other in sort of an eclipse.

In dream catcher and It - the dairy waterworks.

One other book of his that I liked is the Green Mile....the story is great and everything but part of the thrill of it when it was new was the whole cliffhanger thing they did where you read small doses and had to wait for the next part of the story (not wait for years ala dark tower series).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-6704352-6125628?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

This is what I was speaking of. Almost all of his later work is tied into the Dark Tower in one way or another.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hoov said:
YEAH, i read the people of the lie, that is intense, and an inlaw of mine fit the mold perfectly, kind of scary.

Whats the book on similarities between Jung and Reich ?

Well, the running thought was always that Reich did a whole lot of body work...while Jung was more spiritual in his focus...so this book, the name of which eludes me at the moment, tied the two together by showing their similarities...

People of the Lie was roundly booooooed....especially after the best seller...

Hoov

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Well, the running thought was always that Reich did a whole lot of body work...while Jung was more spiritual in his focus...so this book, the name of which eludes me at the moment, tied the two together by showing their similarities...

People of the Lie was roundly booooooed....especially after the best seller...

well, ya don't hit a homerun every time, lol. still it was quite thought provoking.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
adbutcher said:

1. Bible (God)
5. The Stand (S. King)

You know, about a year ago I had heard enough buzz about the Dune stuff, so I decided to educate myself. I watched the David Lynch movie and both SciFi miniseries. While I enjoyed them, I felt that they were missing a lot - the story seemed very complex, so I decided I would read the books to understand what was going on.

Never before have I been so dissappointed with something so talked about. Maybe because my sci-fi background was in Heinlein, but it just did nothing for me. I describe it to friends as "a really good idea, but the story JUST misses the mark." It was "almost good" as I like to say.

That being said, I LOVE the soundtrack to the Children of Dune miniseries. One of the best scores I have ever heard. It even won an award. It made the movie jump from a D to a B-. And Bryan Tyler, the guy who did it, isn't a small name. I would guess that they spent a good bit of the budget on the score.

(FWIW - Bryan Tyler also scored Bubba Ho-Tep about 5 months prior to COD. They are very similar, but the BH score is mostly guitar, small band, whereas COD is very orchestral and epic. I have a feeling he had this music in his head for a while - he was able to experiment with it on a low budget BH movie, but when he got better funds from SciFi, he got to orchestrate it and move it to the masterpiece it is now.)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Black Like Me was a GREAT book...same with Catch a Fire...and I'll read anything about Malcolm...bu the Haley book was a gem.
I agree.

“Black Like Me”, is a must read, imo for all man/woman kind.

I love the mysticism in Catch A Fire, especially when Timothy talked about duppies, bunny wailer, and myalman (sp). Bob was really amazing guy and was able to touch many in his short stint on our tiny planet.

Malcolm X was also I great individual to read about. In general any story that involves overcoming great odds and turning it into a positive I really enjoy.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
I agree.

“Black Like Me”, is a must read, imo for all man/woman kind.

I love the mysticism in Catch A Fire, especially when Timothy talked about duppies, bunny wailer, and myalman (sp). Bob was really amazing guy and was able to touch many in his short stint on our tiny planet.

Malcolm X was also I great individual to read about. In general any story that involves overcoming great odds and turning it into a positive I really enjoy.

The lasting impression I had from "Black Like Me" was his description of the "look" he had never been subjected to prior to his change...

FYI, I created a Malcolm wallpaper in the image zone...simple stuff...

The thing that always struck me about Malcolm is that he was willing to speak his mind KNOWING he was going to die for it....

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
You know, about a year ago I had heard enough buzz about the Dune stuff, so I decided to educate myself. I watched the David Lynch movie and both SciFi miniseries. While I enjoyed them, I felt that they were missing a lot - the story seemed very complex, so I decided I would read the books to understand what was going on.

Never before have I been so dissappointed with something so talked about. Maybe because my sci-fi background was in Heinlein, but it just did nothing for me. I describe it to friends as "a really good idea, but the story JUST misses the mark." It was "almost good" as I like to say.

That being said, I LOVE the soundtrack to the Children of Dune miniseries. One of the best scores I have ever heard. It even won an award. It made the movie jump from a D to a B-. And Bryan Tyler, the guy who did it, isn't a small name. I would guess that they spent a good bit of the budget on the score.

(FWIW - Bryan Tyler also scored Bubba Ho-Tep about 5 months prior to COD. They are very similar, but the BH score is mostly guitar, small band, whereas COD is very orchestral and epic. I have a feeling he had this music in his head for a while - he was able to experiment with it on a low budget BH movie, but when he got better funds from SciFi, he got to orchestrate it and move it to the masterpiece it is now.)
Never watched the sci-fi channel’s rendition of Dune. I just know Frank Herbert is a very intelligent man and I thoroughly enjoyed his works. To me it was the best sci-fi writings I have ever read. To each his own I guess.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

I agree about the Dunes. I have never been able to get into those books. Kinda like Dragon Riders of Pern, very popular books but I couldn't ever finish one.

I read a series of books a long time ago that I really liked by Brian Lumley called Necroscope.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
The lasting impression I had from "Black Like Me" was his description of the "look" he had never been subjected to prior to his change...

FYI, I created a Malcolm wallpaper in the image zone...simple stuff...

The thing that always struck me about Malcolm is that he was willing to speak his mind KNOWING he was going to die for it....
It definitely gives a lot of credence to walking in another person's shoes before passing judgement.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
It definitely gives a lot of credence to walking in another person's shoes before passing judgement.

Well, except if those shoes belong to trick...or BP...uh, or Winicki...

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Well, except if those shoes belong to trick...or BP...uh, or Winicki...
I imagine BP walking around barefoot like Cane and Winicki wearing clogs while doing the little German Boy dance but that is a topic for another thread, lol.

Finally quitting time...Peace.

zorg222

nose picker
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
No Order

Animal Farm- Orwell
The Stand - S.King
It - S.King
Swan Song - Robert McCammon
Shogun - James Clavell (probably my fave)
The Bible (two different versions :devil: )
Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck
Watchers - Koontz
Treasure Island - R.L. Stephenson
Harry Potter series - yes I know it sounds silly but they are good books. :D

I hear ya brotha, go HP! and of course you gotta go with the classic, the bible.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:
I imagine BP walking around barefoot like Cane and Winicki wearing clogs while doing the little German Boy dance but that is a topic for another thread, lol.

Finally quitting time...Peace.

The only time I don't wear shoes...is when I am in the shower or in bed ....no barefooting for me...now the wife is another story lol.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The only time I don't wear shoes...is when I am in the shower or in bed ....no barefooting for me...now the wife is another story lol.

Weeeeerd. One or two of my friends come over and take their shoes off when they walk in the door. I am not Asian, nor are they. I wear my shoes all the time.