Top WR prospects 2006 draft

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
I like Michael Robinson alot. (I'm from PA, go figure) He's gonna be one of those guys you can line up anywhere. Outside, slot, backfield, and emergency QB. He'll also come in handy on those trick plays BP likes to use around midfield. He's tough as nails and at least he has experience at all those positions too. If we get a chance at him after the 4th rd. I'm all for it.

2much2soon

Reaction score
How about standing pat, or at least not going after a top level guy, then going after Javon Walker next year?
I listened to him on Dan Patrick yesterday. He appeared to be a lot more level headed guy than I expected. Plus, he can step in and be productive immediately. It usually takes a few years for draftee WRs to get up to speed.
Glenn and Key probably have another good year in them and Crayton should be able to pick up any slack they leave.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31 said:
I like Michael Robinson alot. (I'm from PA, go figure) He's gonna be one of those guys you can line up anywhere. Outside, slot, backfield, and emergency QB. He'll also come in handy on those trick plays BP likes to use around midfield. He's tough as nails and at least he has experience at all those positions too. If we get a chance at him after the 4th rd. I'm all for it.

You talking about the QB from Penn St?

Trip

Reaction score
AmericasTeam31 said:

I think that's probably the type of player we'll look for if we take a WR next season. I just don't see the Cowboys taking a WR in the first round, judging by Parcells history and the way he likes to build his teams.

Did anyone else notice Parcells' comment in his press conference about the Lion's WR's? He said something like, they have some very talented receivers but so far it hasn't worked out for them. It's been well stated here that Parcells wasn't crazy about drafting Terry Glenn as high as New England did, and I don't see him doing something similar in Dallas.

Robinson has a lot of heart. There are intangibles at work with him, as well as the measurable skills, and it's obvious when you watch him play. When that team needs a play it always seems like he steps up.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Trip said:
I think that's probably the type of player we'll look for if we take a WR next season. I just don't see the Cowboys taking a WR in the first round, judging by Parcells history and the way he likes to build his teams.

Did anyone else notice Parcells' comment in his press conference about the Lion's WR's? He said something like, they have some very talented receivers but so far it hasn't worked out for them. It's been well stated here that Parcells wasn't crazy about drafting Terry Glenn as high as New England did, and I don't see him doing something similar in Dallas.

Robinson has a lot of heart. There are intangibles at work with him, as well as the measurable skills, and it's obvious when you watch him play. When that team needs a play it always seems like he steps up.

I don't see him as a WR. I see him as a DB.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
There is a small school kid to look out for.

Speady Bullet
5-5 205, sub 4.30 40, 48 inch vert, 34 reps and smart
Great hands and fast

Coast Guard and a 3 year commitment. Might be worth a look in the 7th

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
AmericasTeam31 said:

Robinson's problems on the next level is that although he does a lot of things really well, he's not great at any one thing.

He wasn't very impressive at WR over the previous seasons and did nothing of merit at RB.

I really think his best chance for a pro career would be a switch to safety if a team has patience to wait for him to develop.

The best comparision I can come up with is a bigger, faster Woody Dantzler without quite the quickness.

jay cee

Reaction score
hendog said:
I like that Jeff Samazja(?) from Notre Dame. 6'5" and catches everything. I'll take Skyler Green from LSU as well and our return man search will be over.
I hear he is a baseball player also. Do you think he can play QB? If so, no way the Cowboys could pass him up. :D

jay cee

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I guess his whiteness threw me off. :D
:D Funny D. White.

I heard some radio sports show talking head really pumping him up as a first team all american.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Robinson's problems on the next level is that although he does a lot of things really well, he's not great at any one thing.

He wasn't very impressive at WR over the previous seasons and did nothing of merit at RB.

I really think his best chance for a pro career would be a switch to safety if a team has patience to wait for him to develop.

The best comparision I can come up with is a bigger, faster Woody Dantzler without quite the quickness.

Well, I have to say that I agree Spad. I have only watched Penn St. a few times this year and really not much in the last few years but if there was a guy I would want to take a closer look at in next years draft on that team, it would probably be Alan Zematis. I think he could be a real nice FS. Maybe even a CB. He's got great size for the position. I don't know how fast he is but he looks like he has some ability. Anticipates well, from what I've seen. I kinda like him.

jay cee

Reaction score
Nors said:

Speady Bullet
Great hands and fast

Dang Nors, is that height correct? That guy must look like a bowling ball with legs.

You must mean 6'5.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Give me Travis Wilson he is gonna be way undervalued. His QB has really not allowed him to showcase what he can do. He had more TDs than Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley and Brandon Jones last year. You won't find a more physical WR he reminds me of a young David Boston.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
[size=-1]Derek Hagen, Arizona State[/size]
[size=-1]Martin Nance, Miami (Ohio)[/size]
[size=-1]Steve Smith, Southern California [/size]
[size=-1]Santonio Holmes, Ohio State[/size]
[size=-1]Todd Watkins, BYU[/size]
[size=-1]Demetrius Williams, Oregon[/size]

These guys are some decent spped guys...i'd love to add a good speed WR with some size. I know Nance and Watkins run in the sub 4.4 and have really good hands. Don't know much about the other...I should know about Williams here in OR, but have not watched any games this year...

If Clemens doesn't get hurt, Demetrius Williams looks a hell of a lot better. The guys is fast, has good hands, and uses his body well in traffic. Oregon has had alot of other WR emerge as well, so he doesn't produce like he did the 1st couple games..when the games been on the line, that's who we've looked to.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I agree with you that Zemaitis would make a terrific FS, but I'm afraid he'll be gone by the time Dallas would wants to take him. Right now he'll probably go in the late teens as a CB.

I really like their SS Calvin Lowery, whose skills translate more to FS on the next level.

Trip

Reaction score
Nors said:

Speady Bullet
Great hands and fast

Nah, I'd pass on Speady.

He can't take a hit, apparently he has a hard time reloading.

Also a possible character issue. He was kicked off his high school team after impregnating a cheerleader. Speedy was suprised to learn he isn't firing blanks.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I like Holmes, but hes not going to last to #32.

I say take a 2nd-3rd round guy w/ potential, in the mold of a Jerome Mathis.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I agree with you that Zemaitis would make a terrific FS, but I'm afraid he'll be gone by the time Dallas would wants to take him. Right now he'll probably go in the late teens as a CB.

I really like their SS Calvin Lowery, whose skills translate more to FS on the next level.

I don't know Spad. There are a lot of decent DB prospects out there this year.

You figure:

Jimmy Williams
DeMario Minter
Anwar Phillips
Tye Hill
Jason Allen
Kelly Jennings

Not to mention Huff and LaRon Landry, to say nothing of a kid like Lowery of OSU.

There are lots of good DBs coming out this year. We might have a chance to see a guy like Zematis fall to us.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know Spad. There are a lot of decent DB prospects out there this year.

You figure:

Jimmy Williams
DeMario Minter
Anwar Phillips
Tye Hill
Jason Allen
Kelly Jennings

Not to mention Huff and LaRon Landry, to say nothing of a kid like Lowery of OSU.

There are lots of good DBs coming out this year. We might have a chance to see a guy like Zematis fall to us.

Zemaitis isn't in Williams' class as far as draft position goes, but he'll probably be the second CB taken. The worst I've seen him is ranked 4th. Corners always seem to go slightly earlier than they probably should so I'd still bet on the teens.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Zemaitis isn't in Williams' class as far as draft position goes, but he'll probably be the second CB taken. The worst I've seen him is ranked 4th. Corners always seem to go slightly earlier than they probably should so I'd still bet on the teens.

I think a lot will depend on how he runs. Right now, I'm not certain that Zemaitis is the highest rated DB prospect in Happy Vally. Depending on who you talk to, it might be Anwar Phillips. Either way, if Zemaitis goes earlier, then that will probably push a player like Huff or Landry down. I would be real happy with either of those guys. Truth be known, I'd rather have Huff.