CFZ Toughness is needed. Let’s draft for it

Verdict

Reaction score
By now, it’s safe to say that the Dallas Cowboys have for far too long been one of the softest teams in the league. Opponents talk about it, commentators notice it. This team has lacked physical and mental toughness for far too long. We need to address it more directly.

With that in mind, we should be using a lot of premium draft capital on offensive and defensive linemen. Why is that so critical for toughness? Let us count the ways:
  • You can’t be physically tough if you’re getting pushed around. When a team can control the line of scrimmage- on either side of the ball- it can impose its will on the opponent.
  • Finding talent at WR is waaaaaaaay easier than finding talent at most other positions.
  • Unless there’s a WR available with Jerry Rice-like generational talent, avoid another first round WR.
  • By making our trenches more dominant, it builds confidence and mental toughness.
  • You can’t be mentally tough if you know your opponent is beating you on the LOS.
Football is a game of fundamentals at its core. If you can block and tackle your opponents better than they can, you have a great shot at being a tough team. Finesse is good to have too. But it is more of an add in than a fundamental. And it cannot replace brute strength. We need to get some more trench talent in our quest to be tougher.
Yes. Build the trenches. But don’t pass on BPA. Either take BPA or trade back. Then build trenches.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
yeah, I was failing to see the connection of slackness to location. I would think that it has to do more with the culture of the team rather than the zip code

Culture of the team is laid back rich and glamorous! We need to practice on a field, old lockers, dirt etc get back to OLD hard school stuff that's it, we don't deserve where we practice at now that's all

Blackrain

Reaction score
By now, it’s safe to say that the Dallas Cowboys have for far too long been one of the softest teams in the league. Opponents talk about it, commentators notice it. This team has lacked physical and mental toughness for far too long. We need to address it more directly.

With that in mind, we should be using a lot of premium draft capital on offensive and defensive linemen. Why is that so critical for toughness? Let us count the ways:
  • You can’t be physically tough if you’re getting pushed around. When a team can control the line of scrimmage- on either side of the ball- it can impose its will on the opponent.
  • Finding talent at WR is waaaaaaaay easier than finding talent at most other positions.
  • Unless there’s a WR available with Jerry Rice-like generational talent, avoid another first round WR.
  • By making our trenches more dominant, it builds confidence and mental toughness.
  • You can’t be mentally tough if you know your opponent is beating you on the LOS.
Football is a game of fundamentals at its core. If you can block and tackle your opponents better than they can, you have a great shot at being a tough team. Finesse is good to have too. But it is more of an add in than a fundamental. And it cannot replace brute strength. We need to get some more trench talent in our quest to be tougher.

Bullet my Cowboy brother sorry to say but there are no REAL tough players anymore . No Jack Youngbloods, Dick Butkus , Chuck Bednarik , Ronnie lott , Jack Tatum , Randy Whites . Players today are more in touch and worried about social Media and everyone feelings .

First off we need a coach that displays toughness . Most wins came from a guy who flew bombing missions over Europe . We probably wont see the level of toughness you desire from the guy who can consume the most Doughnuts

So since there is nothing that comes close to what I call tough out there anymore . I will settle for physically imposing . Lets start with moving up and getting Jordan Davis and see how it works out spending a #1 pick on a stud D lineman

I believe it will change our whole defense and help stop us being continually run over IMO its a good place to start

Aven8

Reaction score
You want toughness, draft Nakobe Dean, the toughest part of that UGA defense and the catalyst that drove them. A true MLB, in the mold of Bobby Wagner who was the leader of that great D in SEA.

Toughness starts on the defense and while Parsons is a good hybrid, he is not that tough guy that doesn't need recognition except on the field.

The Cowboys have not had "that guy" since Woodson retired. They need the equivalent of Cliff Harris, Woody, Ken Norton Jr., Roy OU Williams and going back to Lee Roy Jordan.

Every great DAL D has had at least one of those guys on it. I do like Parsons but he's already got stars in his eyes. He's not a lunch pail guy.

Parsons is the Alpha on D. From his pressers all he wants to do is win. His personality is only going to come out more with time. Pair Dean up with him and Sam Williams on the Edge? That would be awesome. We can get get Guards in the third or later.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

To me the head coach sets the tone for toughness.
Remember Parcells locking the training room
With bags of ice outside the door?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Charmin soft?
:lmao:

jnday

Reaction score

Forget tough, I want mean. I wish all of the linemen had a mean streak like Columbo and Erik Williams.

shabazz

Reaction score
Bullet my Cowboy brother sorry to say but there are no REAL tough players anymore . No Jack Youngbloods, Dick Butkus , Chuck Bednarik , Ronnie lott , Jack Tatum , Randy Whites . Players today are more in touch and worried about social Media and everyone feelings .

First off we need a coach that displays toughness .

So true. Although I don’t approve of a couple of his cheap shots, Vontaze Burfict was one of my favorite players on the league. He could have played with the 70’s Raiders and not missed a beat.

again, not dismissing some of the cheap shots, but the legit heat-seeking tackles were tight.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Shouldn’t this be in the Draft Zone. My draft related post got moved immediately. ????

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

lol...that culture caught the last train out of Dallas...went fishing.
Let's hope that Coach MM can get them there, however, with JJ...who knows.

Blackrain

Reaction score
lol...that culture caught the last train out of Dallas...went fishing.
Let's hope that Coach MM can get them there, however, with JJ...who knows.
I wish I could have the faith in McCarthy but when I think of a tough coach I think of Ditka or even Parcells.

Belichick is even kind of a tough coach but honestly McCarthy just strikes me as a guy trying to collect a paycheck.

It just seems like all the way around players, coaches , Rules .The whole NFL is just a kinder gentler place then it used to be.

It's almost like toughness is politically incorrect and has been legislated out of the NFL

dware94

Reaction score
Under the Garrett years we were more worried about “right kind of guys”. The roster is still littered with a lot of Garrett leftovers. I the think the McCarthy/Quinn era is transitioning away from that. This draft will ultimately tell us but I like the direction we’re headed from the last two drafts. If they can get some maulers on the line in this draft, then I will have more confidence in the upcoming years.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Toughness comes from the top down. The Cowboys were tough in the Jimmy Johnson era because players were afraid they might lose their jobs or Michael might do something to you. Parcells Cowboys teams were tough as nails. Quincy Carter won 10 games with no talent. Romo was born from Parcells fire pit. I think the 2014 and 2016 teams were tough but just was unlucky to have to play Rodgers in the playoffs. The problem with last season’s team was more discipline then toughness. It seems the Joneses are letting the national media know that they run the Cowboys.:laugh::facepalm: