Toys From Your Childhood That Today's Kids Would Probably Not Want

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
casmith07;4482753 said:
Absolutely it was. There was nothing more fun in the summer than jumping dirt piles and stuff with my friends on our bikes, riding around pretending we were on motorcycles, etc.

You never put cards in your wheels with clothespins? :)

The simple things are what I enjoyed.

Yep. I loved pretending the bike was a motorcyle.

I had some of the best times of my life just riding my bike with friends.

I still ride a bike now, as part of my exercise. It's a simple exercise that is very peaceful and enjoyable.

Even when you are elevating your heart rate. :)

Hoofbite;4483098 said:
I rained terror on my relatives cats with this thing.

LMAO! Oh man yes. I had TONS of Ninja Turtle stuff. It was my second toy 'obsession' that I had during my childhood.

Zaxor;4483463 said:

That was to me the coolest board game ever when I was kid. I used to that that was just about as good as board games would ever get.

Then I started playing Risk. Don't know why but Risk has always been my favorite.

JonJon;4483630 said:
Growing up, my family didn't have a lot of extra money, so us kids had to play games like:

<- Was unbeatable in Pogs

Until one day I finally got some of these:

And then one of these:

And I haven't been outside since.

Had and played every one of those things. I loved marbles. It was just such a fun game to play and so simple.

Nintendo absolutely changed everything.

We had an Atari when I was a kid, and I liked it, but I was never into it the way I got into Nintendo.

Hours upon wasted hours on Legend Of Zelda, Mario Brothers, Kung **, Double Dragon, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy.

Sam I Am;4483897 said:
I remember Christmas 1985 my dad got me what I had been begging for. A Lion Voltron. He spent $79 for it. (expensive in 1985)

I just found one on Newegg.com (Newegg, really? hah) for $399. That is probably what $79 was worth back then in today's money.

My nephew has it now. It was at my mothers house when she passed away. I was already back in NY when they came across it. A few of the lion's are missing tails and a head are missing. The sword is gone too, but it's still there.

I had those and at the time it was one of my favorite toys. I thought he was cool as hell.

Sam I Am;4484138 said:
Damn, has anyone mentioned Legos yet? They were one of the best toys ever invented back then.

Had thousands upon thousands of these. I spent a ton of time building ships, homes, crazy tall buildings.

Cythim;4484632 said:
http://i997.***BLOCKED***/albums/af91/scotthandt/CastleGrayskull-exterior.jpg

My brother and I didn't have a lot of toys, but we thought this was the coolest thing when we got it one Christmas. We only had a couple of Ninja Turtle actions figures to play around with it but we made due.

And here was the crown jewel of my toy obsession as a kid.

My first love, when it came to toys, was the He-Man action figures. It was my first favorite cartoon and I had absolutely everything you could have possibly got for the He-Man toys. I had all the action figures, Castle Greyskull, everything. Hours upon hours spend playing with these.

Later on when me and a buddy of mine had tons of these, Ninja Turtles, and Ghost Busters, and wrestling action figures we'd spend hours placing them different posses, and scenes, that we called Deadly Scenes, or something like that.

Everyone of them had people in the last moments of a bloody fight with another action figure and showing how they were ended.

It was awesome.

Heisenberg;4485262 said:
Started out with action figures like this one:

moved into the world of electronics with this:

until I got to the ultimate toy I ever had:

Had them and that is still, to this day, the best football game I've ever played on any system. I've never played another one that I had more fun with then Tecmo Superbowl.

DemonBlood;4488792 said:

OMG! I'd forgotten all about the Food Fighters!!!! Those were hilarious. Like the Garbage Pail Kids Trading cards!!!!

notherbob;4488868 said:
You guys were all pretty lucky.

When I was a kid during WWII we were very poor and on the move a lot and most of the time Santa couldn't find us and besides,we didn't have a chimney anyway, so I only got three Christmas presents during my childhood and one was a book (Otto the Otter). My best present was a cap pistol and a box of five rolls of caps when I was nine in 1948. That was my best Christmas ever. We all loved Christmas anyway because of all the beautiful lights and songs. We never had a tree but I used to love to go around looking at other peoples trees, they were always so beautiful.

We never got any birthday presents or parties. Rich kids get toys, poor kids get beautiful memories and have fun however they can and it doesn't take much to make them happy, sometimes just a pat on the head and a smile is all it takes but we didn't get those very often either. We were never sad and were always happy anyway because life was always good because we made it good. We didn't see ourselves as poor and we felt sorry for those who were poor.

Happiness is always more a matter of attitude than physical possessions. A good attitude usually lasts longer than toys anyway. We were never envious of others and were happy to be together as a family, at least until the "Welfare Department" took us kids away from our mother and sent us to a boys home two states away when I was ten. Life became a lot more serious from then on. We didn't want for anything physical but we were no longer as happy as we had been but she came to see us every year or two and that always made us happy.

Life was good then and it is even better now because it doesn't take much to please me. A good attitude will get you through hard times better than anything else. It isn't really about toys, it's about being happy no matter what.

Life is good even at 73.

THanks for making me feel like a superficial jerk!

Just playing.

Sort of.

Great post man. It really does make a person step back and think about how lucky they really were.

I was extremely lucky and I've always known that and been grateful for it.

notherbob;4489190 said:
Oh, by the way, no one should feel sorry for me because of the poverty of my fatherless youth because it served to motivate me to work harder and now my wife and I are semi-retired on our 1,000 acre cattle ranch. If you have a cattle ranch, semi-retired is all you ever get since it keeps you pretty busy.

And then there is my garlic business, which is my way of giving back to society for allowing me to overcome the limitations of my youth.

Good luck to you all.

Another great post. 1,000 acres!! Man that's awesome.

trickblue;4489797 said:
I'm younger than you, but I remember my parents struggling to make ends meet...

Back then if I broke a crayon they gave me in a set, I almost cried because I knew how hard they worked...

I lost my dad last year and I tucked a note in his suit pocket at the funeral telling him how much I appreciated his sacrifice for things they couldn't really afford and I didn't really deserve...

I wish kids today appreciate what they have... they take WAY TOO much for granted... mine as well...

Anyway... good post as usual Bob. You are an absolute GEM on this site with your knowledge and wisdom...

Mahalo nui loa, my friend...

I've always taken great care of the stuff I was given by my parents. They never gave me a single thing that I wasn't grateful for or was a jerk and didn't like.

I never went out of my way to tear my stuff up like a lot of kids always did. I was always all about taking care of my stuff. Still to this day I take care of my stuff the same way.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I used to love drums as a kid, before I picked up the piano. These things were awesome!

hitstix_01_1.jpg