Toys From Your Childhood That Today's Kids Would Probably Not Want

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Vtwin;4488883 said:
MyMitchell300.jpg

I've got a bunch just like that at my camp...still use one of them today.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
speedkilz88;4483152 said:
Does anyone remember in the late 70s a robot that was similar to Transformers that had tank like tracks on its back and could be coverted into a tank like vehicle? It was red and blue I believe. I can't remember the name and would like to be able to google a pic.

Im pretty sure you are thinking of Combattra (Combattler V).

Combattra-DX.jpg

Or maybe Voltes V

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v463/Goldgaigar/SOC/Voltes/Gx31V.jpg

I sort of collect old japanese robot toys.

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
tumblr_krvaj2qbQ21qa53iwo1_500.jpg

This was a great toy. Fun to ride, but even better was using it as a weapon. We'd play extreme tag with it. Everyone takes off running, and the guy that was "it" would chase after and throw it at you. Sometimes getting hit by that thing while running would rip you right off your feet. Coming home with assorted bumps, bruises, and abrasions was just a part of being a kid in the 70's. The one we had was a little bit smaller than this one, tho.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
notherbob;4488868 said:
You guys were all pretty lucky.

When I was a kid during WWII we were very poor and on the move a lot and most of the time Santa couldn't find us and besides,we didn't have a chimney anyway, so I only got three Christmas presents during my childhood and one was a book (Otto the Otter). My best present was a cap pistol and a box of five rolls of caps when I was nine in 1948. That was my best Christmas ever. We all loved Christmas anyway because of all the beautiful lights and songs. We never had a tree but I used to love to go around looking at other peoples trees, they were always so beautiful.

We never got any birthday presents or parties. Rich kids get toys, poor kids get beautiful memories and have fun however they can and it doesn't take much to make them happy, sometimes just a pat on the head and a smile is all it takes but we didn't get those very often either. We were never sad and were always happy anyway because life was always good because we made it good. We didn't see ourselves as poor and we felt sorry for those who were poor.

Happiness is always more a matter of attitude than physical possessions. A good attitude usually lasts longer than toys anyway. We were never envious of others and were happy to be together as a family, at least until the "Welfare Department" took us kids away from our mother and sent us to a boys home two states away when I was ten. Life became a lot more serious from then on. We didn't want for anything physical but we were no longer as happy as we had been but she came to see us every year or two and that always made us happy.

Life was good then and it is even better now because it doesn't take much to please me. A good attitude will get you through hard times better than anything else. It isn't really about toys, it's about being happy no matter what.

Life is good even at 73.

Great post Bob! :bow:

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
notherbob;4488868 said:

When I was a kid during WWII we were very poor and on the move a lot and most of the time Santa couldn't find us and besides,we didn't have a chimney anyway, so I only got three Christmas presents during my childhood and one was a book (Otto the Otter). My best present was a cap pistol and a box of five rolls of caps when I was nine in 1948. That was my best Christmas ever. We all loved Christmas anyway because of all the beautiful lights and songs. We never had a tree but I used to love to go around looking at other peoples trees, they were always so beautiful.

We never got any birthday presents or parties. Rich kids get toys, poor kids get beautiful memories and have fun however they can and it doesn't take much to make them happy, sometimes just a pat on the head and a smile is all it takes but we didn't get those very often either. We were never sad and were always happy anyway because life was always good because we made it good. We didn't see ourselves as poor and we felt sorry for those who were poor.

Happiness is always more a matter of attitude than physical possessions. A good attitude usually lasts longer than toys anyway. We were never envious of others and were happy to be together as a family, at least until the "Welfare Department" took us kids away from our mother and sent us to a boys home two states away when I was ten. Life became a lot more serious from then on. We didn't want for anything physical but we were no longer as happy as we had been but she came to see us every year or two and that always made us happy.

Life was good then and it is even better now because it doesn't take much to please me. A good attitude will get you through hard times better than anything else. It isn't really about toys, it's about being happy no matter what.

Life is good even at 73.

As I was goggling my toys I realized how lucky I was at Christmas. Every year I was amazed at what my parents were able to get me. One year we got the lion king sound track from Santa and my brother and I were like,"why would we get this? What was Santa thinking?" My mom told us maybe Santa left it at the wrong house.:( Year later I apologized for being a brat.:laugh2:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
DIAF;4488930 said:
Im pretty sure you are thinking of Combattra (Combattler V).

http://www.robot-japan.com/images/stories/Bandai-America/Godaikin/Combattra_DX/Combattra-DX.jpg

Or maybe Voltes V

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v463/Goldgaigar/SOC/Voltes/Gx31V.jpghttp://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v463/Goldgaigar/SOC/Voltes/Gx31V.jpg

I sort of collect old japanese robot toys.
No, the one I had predated those like that one (it was late 70s)that I've looked up. It didn't have a helmet just a metallic(color) removable head. It also had a plastic cockpit on the chest where a pilot could be put in it.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
speedkilz88;4489014 said:
No, the one I had predated those like that one (it was late 70s)that I've looked up. It didn't have a helmet just a metal removable head. It also had a plastic cockpit on the chest where a pilot could be put in it.

hmm...Micronauts perhaps? Those all had chest-cockpits and little pilots.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
notherbob;4488868 said:

Life is good even at 73.

This was a great post! Thank you for sharing it!

#reality

DemonBlood

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4489014 said:
No, the one I had predated those like that one (it was late 70s)that I've looked up. It didn't have a helmet just a metallic(color) removable head. It also had a plastic cockpit on the chest where a pilot could be put in it.

Is it this?

Route 66

Reaction score
notherbob;4488868 said:

Life is good even at 73.

:bravo:

notherbob

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, no one should feel sorry for me because of the poverty of my fatherless youth because it served to motivate me to work harder and now my wife and I are semi-retired on our 1,000 acre cattle ranch. If you have a cattle ranch, semi-retired is all you ever get since it keeps you pretty busy.

And then there is my garlic business, which is my way of giving back to society for allowing me to overcome the limitations of my youth.

Good luck to you all.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
notherbob;4488868 said:

Life is good even at 73.

I'm younger than you, but I remember my parents struggling to make ends meet...

Back then if I broke a crayon they gave me in a set, I almost cried because I knew how hard they worked...

I lost my dad last year and I tucked a note in his suit pocket at the funeral telling him how much I appreciated his sacrifice for things they couldn't really afford and I didn't really deserve...

I wish kids today appreciate what they have... they take WAY TOO much for granted... mine as well...

Anyway... good post as usual Bob. You are an absolute GEM on this site with your knowledge and wisdom...

Mahalo nui loa, my friend...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Vtwin;4488883 said:

My dad raves about those reels.

Me personally, as long as brings in line I'm good. I don't really fish enough to know the difference.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
trickblue;4489797 said:

Back then if I broke a crayon they gave me in a set, I almost cried because I knew how hard they worked...

I lost my dad last year and I tucked a note in his suit pocket at the funeral telling him how much I appreciated his sacrifice for things they couldn't really afford and I didn't really deserve...

I wish kids today appreciate what they have... they take WAY TOO much for granted... mine as well...

Anyway... good post as usual Bob. You are an absolute GEM on this site with your knowledge and wisdom...

I know that feeling Trick and I agree with your post and about Notherbob great guy

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
LOVED this game. We had thick carpet which made the catapults more valuable, but tile floor in the kitchen and entry way for when my friends and I wanted to play with the crossbows. I made a bunch of bricks out of Mom's shoe boxes so we could have multi-layered defensive perimeters.

6659.jpg

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
trickblue;4489797 said:

I guess you're not the only one who comes here sometimes hoping to find something "Notherbob".

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
KJJ;4490340 said:

Oh man Gumby!!! I used to get so mad because my Gumby was defective. As hard as I tried, he wouldn't go through a wall.

:eek::