TR: Is Trevon Diggs Really This Good, Or Just Lucky? Yes

CWR

Reaction score
It's not luck when he is baiting QBs into making bad decisions.

Gorgon

Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting article breaking down Diggs' interceptions. I agree somewhat about the luck factor but you have to credit the player who is always looking for the ball and secures it. Not sure if this was posted already.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/10/20/22735568/trevon-diggs-interceptions-breakdown
But how many times in the past have we whined about dropped INTS? It seemed for many years, our DBs dropped sure interceptions. Diggs doesn't. And it's amazing how many INTs you get if you're within a foot of the ball!

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Articles like this annoy me. Diggs' technique and skillset put him in position for the INTs. Was he "lucky" because the QB made a bad pass or the intender receive did not catch the ball? I guess you could call that "lucky". For each INT the article describes as lucky is lazy. Diggs technique and skillset put him in position to take advantage of an errant throw and the ball bouncing off the receiver's hands. In Tampa he broke off his coverage because he was watching the QB and put himself in position. Against the Panthers he was on the hip of the receiver and in position to make the play. Against the Eagles he was going to make a play on the ball if Smith fell down or not.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Articles like this annoy me. Diggs and technique and skillset put him in position for the INTs. Was he "lucky" because the QB made a bad pass or the intender receive did not catch the ball? I guess you could call that "lucky". For each INT the article describes as lucky is lazy. Diggs technique and skillset put him in position to take advantage of an errant throw and the ball bouncing off the receiver's hands. In Tampa he broke off his coverage because he was watching the QB and put himself in position. Against the Panthers he was on the hip of the receiver and in position to make the play. Against the Eagles he was going to make a play on the ball if Smith fell down or not.
Diggs is an opportunist, like you say,, his tech and skill put him in position to make a play.
If he is just "lucky", then I want to hang with him in Vegas.
I dont really care how people want to label his success, his game changing stats dont lie.

Reaction score

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It was both of them. They both could have made a play and they thought the other was going to do it. Diggs let up a little because he thought that Kazee was going to make the play.

It was Kazee's ball, should have come across and picked it off. Diggs learned a valuable lesson, go for it next time and not assume the FS will make the play.

Creeper

Reaction score
The 2021 Cowboys have been lucky. Look at their games and you can see the ball bouncing their way quite a bit. The Patriots had many chances to defeat the Cowboys. dropped passes, bad throws, penalties hurt them. That fact that Diggs intercepted that pass to retake the lead at that point in the game was a miracle. What were the Patriots doing throwing the football? And at Diggs no less! Pure luck that they would make such a stupid mistake.

But I believe teams that win SBs need luck on their side. I think SB winners often get a lot of breaks, and make the most of them which may be the reason they win SBs.

Creeper

Reaction score
Diggs wasn't even beat on the TD against NE. Here is a pic from the All-22 view. As you can see, Diggs is running step for step with the WR. Kazee is looking right at the ball.
I think what happened was both thought the other was going to make a play on the ball. Both could have either knock it down (more likely), or even intercepted it (less likely).

Had Kazee run more toward the WR, the receiver may even have short armed it.

GlOMGMeC_o.jpg

I don't think Diggs saw the ball. I think if he did he would have gotten his hands on it which means he would have intercepted it. The way he undercut the receiver by a few yards indicated to me he did not see where the ball was until it passed him.

Reaction score
There is some overreaction to the luck part of the article. The writer is not downgrading anything Diggs has done.

He is quite complimentary of Diggs overall, especially his closing speed and elite ball skills.

Great part is that he is still learning. The skills are all there and he will only get better.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

Four of the INTs against the Birds! I love anytime we have a player with a history of killing Philly and Diggs has picked off their QBs the three times he has played them. I hope this trend continues and develops into a Bird killer.