Trade Amari This Offseason?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper contract is well within line of other top WR Hopkins is bring in 27.25 million a year Julio Jones and Keenan Allen both make more than Cooper. Who would want the contract? a team in need of a top WR since Cooper deal is well within range
A number of teams don't consider him a top 10 WR....sorry but reality conflicts with GM Jerry often!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And I'm fairly certain nobody would give up that #1 pick to then have to pay the player $20 million a year.

It doesn't matter the Cowboys aren't going to add 28 mil on the dead money for next year when the cap is going to be less to start out with just for a single draft pick regardless what round it's in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And I'm fairly certain nobody would give up that #1 pick to then have to pay the player $20 million a year.

Every year these deals get bigger, in 2018 Odell Beckham was the highest paid at 18 mill in 2020 Hopkins is getting paid 27.25 mill. Cooper deal is not out of range, it fits within the market value. Next year or 2 that 27.25 of Hopkins will not be the highest as others come up for FA. So I don't agree no one would want to pay that

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't matter the Cowboys aren't going to add 28 mil on the dead money for next year when the cap is going to be less to start out with just for a single draft pick regardless what round it's in.

Check this out:

On the spotrac link, click the 28mil dead cap figure.
It'll pop up a breakdown of if he is cut pre 6/1, post June 1st, and the cap hits if traded.
fefdvfdv.jpg

A trade would only result in a cap hit of $8 million and a savings of $14 million. I wasn't aware of that either, and it makes a trade a lot more appealing, at least for the Cowboys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
A number of teams don't consider him a top 10 WR....sorry but reality conflicts with GM Jerry often!

Please list all the GM's that have told you personally that they don't think Cooper is a top 5 let alone a top 10 receiver.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

You don't consider him that fine, but do not pretend you speak for anyone other than yourself. Cooper is 2nd in the NFL in receptions behind Hopkins.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please list all the GM's that have told you personally that they don't think Cooper is a top 5 let alone a top 10 receiver.
I'll call them now and get back to you!:eek:
If you think Cooper is a top 10 WR esp against good defenses and ask him......if you can find him???
Only Dallas was willing to give the Raiders a no 1 pick....duh?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Check this out:

On the spotrac link, click the 28mil dead cap figure.
It'll pop up a breakdown of if he is cut pre 6/1, post June 1st, and the cap hits if traded.
fefdvfdv.jpg

A trade would only result in a cap hit of $8 million and a savings of $14 million. I wasn't aware of that either, and it makes a trade a lot more appealing, at least for the Cowboys.

I wasn't aware of that either. I just looked at sportrac too and just looked at the dead money amount but even still next season with a lower cap they really can't afford to add money to the dead money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't have to extend Gallup after this season. They can wait until after next season when Cooper is most likely out. But that would cost the Cowboys more in not only contract, but cap space on his new contract. So they should try to extend him after this season if possible.
They have the tendency to extend early to save money on players that are not questionable and I think the presence of Lamb makes that more of a reality.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every year these deals get bigger, in 2018 Odell Beckham was the highest paid at 18 mill in 2020 Hopkins is getting paid 27.25 mill. Cooper deal is not out of range, it fits within the market value. Next year or 2 that 27.25 of Hopkins will not be the highest as others come up for FA. So I don't agree no one would want to pay that

You should take another look at those Hopkins numbers. Based on the remaining four years of his contract, he actually makes about $21.8 million averaged out.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm typing this but I think it's time to trade him. Gallup has WR1 traits. Cee Dee does as well. Cedric Wilson seems poised to be a good WR3. They are all on their rookie deals. Gallup gonna need a new contract and we know eventually Cee Dee gonna get a big 2nd contract.

Love Coop but at $20M I am expecting more from him. His knick knack injuries are starting to pile up. Not sure what the Cowboys can get for him, but trading him should be explored this offseason or sooner.

Thoughts?

Not going to happen...the trade would be for Cedrick Wilson or Gallup right now

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't aware of that either. I just looked at sportrac too and just looked at the dead money amount but even still next season with a lower cap they really can't afford to add money to the dead money.

We all learn something new every day.

I don't foresee a trade happening either. The Hopkins situation was unique, and dumb enough to get the GM/Coach fired. And I don't see the Cowboys getting a better deal for that which would make dealing Cooper worth it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm typing this but I think it's time to trade him. Gallup has WR1 traits. Cee Dee does as well. Cedric Wilson seems poised to be a good WR3. They are all on their rookie deals. Gallup gonna need a new contract and we know eventually Cee Dee gonna get a big 2nd contract.

Love Coop but at $20M I am expecting more from him. His knick knack injuries are starting to pile up. Not sure what the Cowboys can get for him, but trading him should be explored this offseason or sooner.

Thoughts?

I would trade Amari, Zeke, Lawrence, Jaylon if we could, but I dont think we can get out from under any of those for a couple years without getting killed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You should take another look at those Hopkins numbers. Based on the remaining four years of his contract, he actually makes about $21.8 million averaged out.

1st 2 years are team friendly but the cards are still on the hook for the $60,050,000 guaranteed, his deal is backend loaded. The out year on his deal would cost the Cards 15.5 cap hit. Point is these contracts continue to rise, people saying Cooper contract is too much when reality is it is in line with the market value of top WR and as we see that market continues to go up. I think it would be great is every Cowboys player took lowball offers and played below market value but that is not reality.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

CWR

Reaction score

Maybe dont run off at the mouth then.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't consider him that fine, but do not pretend you speak for anyone other than yourself. Cooper is 2nd in the NFL in receptions behind Hopkins.
Love the Coop man just don't think he's worth 20 million a year and that no 1 pick was over-kill for this WR.
But again another overpay as our offense was D.O.A.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys, if smart, are not going to extend any contract that they don't absolutely have to because the cap amount is going to be less next season not more.

That may be exactly their thinking. I just said if possible. Because of Dak is given a new deal his cap hit would drop, and Gallup has a 4th year to dump bonus money on. But like you said, cap is dropping. They might need all of that space.

quickccc

Reaction score

No need to take that kind of cap hit when he can be cleared off the long term basis after 2021 per escape option

Cowboys will have a hard decision when Gallup becomes a UFA, they could franchise him to keep him or re-sign him to
make him among top highest paid WRs (someone else will) i just don't see two highest paid WRs on same team and then Lamb
a couple of years to have to address in same dollar area via off his production. ..

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Won't happen this Off season. However, the Cowboys will likely have to make a decision on Amari or Gallup in 2022 when Gallup is a free agent.