CFZ Trade Deadline Question for serious contenders

Jipper

Reaction score
I can see your argument, but these are the current former first round picks on the Cowboys ..

2011: Tyron Smith (OT)
2012: Stephon Gilmore (CB)
2014: Zack Martin (G)
2014: Brandin Cooks (WR)
2015: Dante Fowler (DE)
2017: Malik Hooker (S)
2018: Leighton Vander Esch (LB)
2018: Rashaan Evans (LB)
2018: Billy Price (OL)
2020: CeeDee Lamb (WR)
2021: Micah Parsons (LB/DE)
2021: Trey Lance (QB)
2022: Tyler Smith (G)
2023: Mazi Smith (DT)

That's 14 former first round players on the Cowboys.

Is that first round pick next year really going to make that much difference especially if the pick is 20 or lower?
I don't know obviously and none of us can forsee, all we can do is play the odds - but let's say we did bring Henry for a 1st or 2nd, that's a move that you have to get 2 years of play out of which means a 30 year old RB that is going to want mid teens per year, who are you not resigning and what player could you have gotten with that pick that wouldn't have the salary constraints.

I get it and want to see this team get over the hump, but the core of the team still has a window even if it crashes and burns this year...it's a tough call but hate to say it...as goes Dak so goes the cowboys...and that's the scariest thing on this day

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don't know obviously and none of us can forsee, all we can do is play the odds - but let's say we did bring Henry for a 1st or 2nd, that's a move that you have to get 2 years of play out of which means a 30 year old RB that is going to want mid teens per year, who are you not resigning and what player could you have gotten with that pick that wouldn't have the salary constraints.

I get it and want to see this team get over the hump, but the core of the team still has a window even if it crashes and burns this year...it's a tough call but hate to say it...as goes Dak so goes the cowboys...and that's the scariest thing on this day
Then make some moves to help Dak out right now. Get some Oline depth which we could clearly use. Look for a big WR who can be a one year rental for pocket change. We don't necessarily need the home run splash trade, but we could most definitely benefit from some depth moves.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is true that no player can guarantee any success, but that's not what bothers me the most.

It's that they didn't make any effort to improve the team and this team has holes, at least match-up wise with certain teams, and it also has depth issues if we lose one or more of a select group of players.

I don't know if Henry or any star player would have been the answer, but sitting on your hands and not trading for any DT, CB, WR, LB or OL players at all is very disappointing.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
By the Cowboys not making any moves they are just confirming what many fans have long suspected.

The Jones family is only concerned about making money each year, not winning a Super Bowl.

As long as they get a team that makes the playoffs or at least remains in the hunt until the last week, they are content to let it play out to avoid putting the team at risk of having a bad season in the future.

Winning a Super Bowl is a bonus, not the objective.

The objective is higher valuations year over year and consistent revenue streams, and they excel at that.
I agree when the fans realize the meeting with the Blockchain sponsors is more important than the FA and the Trade Deadline maybe people will see what this owner does not do well... he does not shy away from the blatant fact he operates this to continue to be his cash cow and not a SB winner - because that is too risky to the bottom line to have 3-4 bad seasons in a row

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair but a 1st or 2nd is going to severely hurt next year when we are going to need to get a few starters out of the draft to replace some of the guys we're not going to be able to resign or will let go.

A 3rd or 4th/5th[which we obviously didn't have] seem to be the sweet spot to be able to pick up a player without putting yourself in a bad spot the next year....I get everyone wanting to go all in but we already traded away 3 of next year's picks and the team has a roster that has a enough skill..

If the qb continues to play better each week and the coaching keeps improving then there might be hope- only time will tell and I'm still not ready to believe but I also don't think they missed out on a player that would have made the difference in going to the superbowl or not
Sure but are we trying to double down on this year or play it safe . That’s the basis of the argument in this thread.

And hopefully if we used a premium draft pick it would be more than the pick would bring us next year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I bet most of you complain about younger generations and the need for instant gratification.

Jipper

Reaction score
It is true that no player can guarantee any success, but that's not what bothers me the most.

It's that they didn't make any effort to improve the team and this team has holes, at least match-up wise with certain teams, and it also has depth issues if we lose one or more of a select group of players.

I don't know if Henry or any star player would have been the answer, but sitting on your hands and not trading for any DT, CB, WR, LB or OL players at all is very disappointing.
Yeah but pretty much every team is a couple injuries away from issues - I'd like to see them bring someone like Anthony brown back and look for guys on practice squads that have potential...they are probably banking a lot on the offense continuing to improve, the team staying mostly health and dak playing well....all of which are big ifs...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nope, I complain about the old fart running the show and his half-wit son acting like royalty. They're a joke around Dallas, rich but a joke!
Yes, I get that most fans also think they are more of an expert than the owner, GM, coach, etc. You are not positing much.

Jipper

Reaction score
Sure but are we trying to double down on this year or play it safe . That’s the basis of the argument in this thread.

And hopefully if we used a premium draft pick it would be more than the pick would bring us next year.
I get it but who out there would be doubling down and really would give something that would put us over the edge? Henry maybe? But just too expensive and a big risk...I get everyone's frustration but they just didn't have any more draft capital to use without hindering next year.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I get that most fans also think they are more of an expert than the owner, GM, coach, etc. You are not positing much.
No sir, not true. But I've been a fan far longer than most on this forum and feel I can post without fear.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We don’t have to be an expert to know when the job could be done better.

I don’t need to be a mechanic to know when my vehicle needs repair . And if the work done isn’t satisfactory.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No sir, not true. But I've been a fan far longer than most on this forum and feel I can post without fear.
Stephen Jones has an engineering degree and been praised by Bill Parcells for his football acumen. You label him a half wit. It is what it is.

And is said posit, ie contribute meaningfully to a discussion, not post.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get it but who out there would be doubling down and really would give something that would put us over the edge? Henry maybe? But just too expensive and a big risk...I get everyone's frustration but they just didn't have any more draft capital to use without hindering next year.
I’m not frustrated. I was just responding to whoever said they wouldn’t give more than a 3rd for him.

Hindering next year ? If we could land a talent that helped us more this year and was as talented as our pick next year, how is that hindering next year.

I’d argue so far our1st pick this year is hindering this year. Lol

rambo2

Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
Who would you have traded for? 5 trades wasn't enough for you?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones has an engineering degree and been praised by Bill Parcells for his football acumen. You label him a half wit. It is what it is.

And is said posit, ie contribute meaningfully to a discussion, not post.
Wow, an engineering degree? And that has what to do with running a football team?