Signed by Cowboys Trade - DT Jihad Ward from Raiders (for Ryan Switzer)

CCBoy

Reaction score
And you're dismissing the year before. Dak was not a good QB last year at least not consistently. He, the offensive play calling, defense double teaming Beasley (because Dez couldn't beat single coverage and run routes well) were the reasons for his poor year. He didn't change.

Oh, I'll take a group including Austin and Beasley now, for sure...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Raiders base defense:
DE - Mario Edwards Jr.
DT - Eddie Vanderdoes
DT - Justin Ellis
DE - K. Mack.

I think a fresh start and with Marinelli could make a significant difference. Marinelli has already had some interaction as a coach, with Ward. He had an injury progression as well.

We'll just have to watch how this develops...he's a part of a bigger picture now.

kgredin1

Reaction score
I think a fresh start and with Marinelli could make a significant difference. Marinelli has already had some interaction as a coach, with Ward. He had an injury progression as well.

We'll just have to watch how this develops...he's a part of a bigger picture now.
Yep. Hope the light goes on for him. Everything I hear is that he's a great kid and the Raiders haven't been the best coached franchise in recent years. Maybe Ward can be coached up.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I didn't know one play in the 2nd quarter decided entire games

Well, it did. It allowed the Rams to score just before half and they had the first possession in the second half.
Now, I'll give a dishonorable mention to the defense that game. All the more reason we can't have those
mistakes on special teams.

And we didn't even unpack the ko returns he ran out from 8 yards deep and not even make it to the 20,
much less the 25, in that game. Worst of all, his comments after the game were ignorant.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I will back it up like this.....
Garrett is 67-53, 1-2 in playoffs. Linehan was 11-25 with no playoff appearances as a head coach. Marinelli was 10-38 with no playoff appearances as a head coach. The Cowboys are the greatest sports franchise in the world and they deserve better staff than what they currently have. I have been a Cowboys fan for over 40 years and I want great coaching that utilize their players.

56% winning percentage is bad now huh? And Linehan and Marinelli are not HC so who cares?

And none of what you said had anything to do with how the players are utilized.

ghst187

Reaction score
I’m hoping Ward will benefit from a scheme change and better usage. Archer made a comment that made it sound like we planned to play him at 1T. Might be interesting. No doubt the guy has some ability. We were log jammed at WR anyway and Switzer looking tentative on returns combined with Austin’s acquisition was probably the nail. I think it was a good move to stick with Beasley over Switzer and astute to actually get something for one of our players for once!!!!
And get someone with some talent at a need position. To me, this and the Austin moves were the most impressive moves this FO had all offseason.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
People complaining about Switzer's fumble, Tavon Austin has 22 of them on his career stats
I don't think it was the fumble alone, I am pretty sure he tried that stupid "acting" like he called fair catch and then take off, only they didn't bite and nailed him good causing a fumble.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
All I know is that Gruden made it a point to single him out as soon as he took over the team.

He identified players that were loafing, were distractions and/or were using injuries as a crutch and he has systematically got rid of them.

If he took over the team and immediately formed an impression about Ward, that is not really a good thing.

Could it be Dallas identified Switz as a guy with issues as well? I can name a few myself.
Rarely do teams trade guys they love for anyone else’s garbage.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Could it be Dallas identified Switz as a guy with issues as well? I can name a few myself.
Rarely do teams trade guys they love for anyone else’s garbage.
Perhaps the tattoo on his inner lip?

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
I'm not crying over Switzer - I'm glad we made this trade.
But the "we have Bease" line makes me chuckle. He's a little nothing dude who caught 36 passes last season. :muttley:
Pretty sure everyone's numbers went down lmao. you people are nuts. Lets get rid of Bease, one of the only WRs Dak has a connection with. LMAO

Knotamus

Reaction score
Just my two cents:

I don’t understand why people are so bent out of shape over Switzer. Personally, he was a ‘head scratcher’ pick last year. Exp when a player like 2x college TE of the year Jake Butt was available. (Which would have been real nice to have right now with Wittens imminent retirement) Yes, I like the player and sold myself on Switzer’s potential.. but he wasn’t untouchable. He was a projected 5rd player drafted in the 4th.. traded a year later for a former 2nd rd 6’6” 295 DT. I feel like it’s great value at a position of need on our DL. I digress.

Now Jihad Ward. Yeah, I hear ya.. Jihad is a bust! Jerry being Jerry again.. blah blah blah.. As others mentioned, many said the same ab Lawrence after year two. Ward shouldn’t be labeled a bust just yet.. could he be? Sure, but he showed some potential under Marinelli’s tudorledge at the 2016 Senior Bowl.
Here’s what one person said...

“It's funny to me how Ward is starring at the Senior Bowl. I think a large reason for that is because he has a coach like Marinelli doing wonders for him and his draft stock.”

Some fans believe players are added to teams like Madden football with no regard to scheme fit. I’m not convinced Oak was using him properly. Add his injuries to start his career.. it’s lazy to label him a bust. I believe a fresh start will work wonders, exp under Marinelli. I mean Marenilli made players like Jeremy Mincey and George Selvie look good. Plucked off KC’s practice squad, just look at what Marinelli has done for Irving.. a player very similar to Ward. For all those clamoring for a DT, well here you go. Imagine 6’7” Irving and 6’6” Ward in the middle creating havoc, batting balls down, and both have the athleticism to punish OL and QBs alike. I find it hard to imagine RBs will be running them over anytime soon. I like the trade. We’re a far cry from 2rd gambles.. so if we want to trade a 6th for Tavon Austin or trade our 6th Wr To strengthen our DL. I’m in.
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...8882/jihad-ward-scouting-the-2016-senior-bowl

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Amari Cooper
Jordy Nelson
Martavius Bryant
Ryan Switzer

Good mix for Oakland
I'm torn because on one hand....its better than last year....but it doesn't scare me as a opposing team but I guess that's because none of those guys did anything last year. Nelson will not be a factor but if Martavius can continue to develop and offer more than just a big play a game......and if Cooper develops into a star....they should give Carr some options.

Who do you think did more for their quarterback? Would you rather have Martavius, Switzer and Nelson or Gallup, Hurns, Austin?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty sure everyone's numbers went down lmao. you people are nuts. Lets get rid of Bease, one of the only WRs Dak has a connection with. LMAO
Yeah I was ok with getting rid of Beasley if we kept Switzer.......but even that sounds crazy because Beasley is better for Dak's game. We have no idea what Switzer is. I think he's gonna be a solid slot guy but I won't lose sleep over losing him. Didn't lose sleep over letting Danny Amendola go either.