Trade Gallup

Loso86

Reaction score
I have praised him as the most clutch WR in the NFL.

He is elite. He has the ability to be a true #1 WR.....

but we have Cooper, who despite a less flashy style, is the best finesse WR in the game.

We have Lamb. Enough said on him. He's a legit #1 talent.

We have Wilson, who has emerged as a great weapon.

We don't need this embarrassment of wealth at WR given the injury to Dak.

I believe Gallup could fetch a 1st at worst, and I think a 1st & 3rd is very possible.
Without Dak we probably should keep all the weapons we have right now. Plus he immediately became Daltons fav wr

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Then trade bad-body-language, goes-missing-in-the-big-games-too-often, lackadaisical, is-subbed-out-way-too-often-on-key-downs Coop.

Not Big Play, toe-drag-expert, the-go-to-guy-when-the-game-is-on-the-line Gallup.
or...

the best finesse WR in the game, playing injured, only in on 50% of the snaps and still our most productive WR, Amari Cooper?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Without Dak we probably should keep all the weapons we have right now. Plus he immediately became Daltons fav wr

We need some dogs on defense more than we need part-time-player, goes-missing-too-often Coop.

Trade Gallup? No way. Too young, too talented, too reliable.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Or as discussed in-depth in the thread you clearly skimmed - to the Patriots or Texans, but yes, trade a great player in Gallup that we can not afford to keep, in order to fetch a first round pick we desperately need.
I read where you suggested Philly, so no I didn’t skim and was replying to that monumentally stupid idea.

Dallas has Gallup cheaply for all of this season and all of next season before he has to get paid. That is a long time in the NFL. By the end of 2021, Dallas very well might want to pay Gallup and let Cooper go (or trade him) to get that contract off the books. They smartly structured Cooper’s contract where it would be no problem to let him go after 2021... which is when they have to decide on Gallup.

They have 3 great WR’s with two of them on rookie contracts for the next two years. They’re keeping all three because they can with the cap and they’re not stupid.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
or...

the best finesse WR in the game, playing injured, only in on 50% of the snaps and still our most productive WR, Amari Cooper?

Yes, him, trade him please, IF they can get something decent for him. He may never recover from that injury. And he just looks unperturbed by at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we trade Them - in my statement it was Cooper - then you trade the contract, no hit to the cap. I wouldn't cut him. But I would see if I could some value for him in a trade.
You take the cap hit when you trade guys. This isn't the NBA. That's why you rarely see trades in the NFL. It costs.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Rehashing
more of the same.....

What makes the Patriots good for so so long is that they trade away a players one year EARLY, in order to get value back. So they keep getting youth on their team, while not getting into salary cap crisis. And to add, they also draft well-enough with they many draft picks. Don't hit on all of them, but enough to keep their franchise one of the better ones. They don't fall for the superstars to sell jerseys. They love winning more than popularity of a certain player.

The culture set in Dallas for decades--plural, is being POPULAR/FAMOUS outweighs winning. And this is no more obvious than with the general mgr. This franchise has been .500 (ish) for going on 3 decades. The franchise has a .500 (ish) record within their own home since it has open. Only constant for the mediocre 3 decades performance is the GM. Blame coaches, players, etc, etc. etc. Until the CULTURE changes, doesn't matter who walks the sideline or plays on the field.

I agree with most of this - the only hesitation I have is based on what this does to the offense and secondly the guy doing the picking.

plasticman

Reaction score
Okay, so we should begin to whittle down the only elite squad we have?

This receiving core is what's carrying this team right now. Each of them make the others better but we want to break that chain?

Gallup saved the game with back to back acrobatic catches. Let's give him to someone else.

I find this logic deeply flawed.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
You take the cap hit when you trade guys. This isn't the NBA. That's why you rarely see trades in the NFL. It costs.

From what I understand, just the unpaid signing bonus would accelerate, the gtd salary goes to the new team. So if we trade him next year, we would have 8 million cap hit compared to 22 Mil if he plays. So we would actually save 14 million by trading him. So while there is a "cost" it is adding money to the cap that we could use to bring in or sign other players like Gallup to a longer term deal and also add to our draft capital.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Okay, so we should begin to whittle down the only elite squad we have?

This receiving core is what's carrying this team right now. Each of them make the others better but we want to break that chain?

Gallup saved the game with back to back acrobatic catches. Let's give him to someone else.

I find this logic deeply flawed.

In a lot of ways I see the point that is being made here. We sort of have a really stacked receiver corp and there are not enough balls to go around. We will lose Gallup in a couple of years as there is no way we can keep him, Lamb and Cooper. The smart thing is to stockpile picks and improve other areas of your team - like the defense.

DanA

Reaction score
The general premise that we have too many weapons at WR and too few on defense is pretty accurate.

But it seems like these three WR’s fit really well together and it’d be a shame to mess with it. I think what really needs to happen is that we become more efficient with resources on defense. We have far too many wasted picks and bad contracts on that side of the ball.

Loso86

Reaction score
We need some dogs on defense more than we need part-time-player, goes-missing-too-often Coop.

Trade Gallup? No way. Too young, too talented, too reliable.
We do need dogs but I'm not trading gallup, then in a year or 2 were looking stupid on offense I agree

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Every time this team actually finds a way to have a position of strength, people come out of the woodwork to trade it away. I don't get it.