News: Trade Scenario- Coop to Baltimore for Peters and a 3rd?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep I don't disagree here.

I was not a fan of signing him when his rookie deal expired.....I wanted more of a two TE base and get back to featuring the run game and playing keepaway, the 2016 model. That's a different tale.

However I'll 100% acknowledge that we are going to feel his absence when gone.

Something like a 3rd round pick sounds nice, but let's say it's a Nashon Wright type of impact in 2022.

Even if it's a 2nd, a Kelvin Joseph type of impact in 2022.

We are gonna full well know Amari Cooper is gone, but again.....this is the fallout of overpaying for guys that we are "lucky to have."

Yeah, real lucky lol.

I don't buy into the fallout. The salary cap is made to be manipulated. If the Joneses want to keep Cooper, they can keep him. The question is whether they believe he's worth $20 million or even $12 million with a restructure. If we cut him or Lawrence, it will simply be because the Joneses don't believe they are worth what they would be paid.

An example of this that I go back to is DeMarco Murray. He had just rushed for almost 2,000 yards in 2014 for us, yet we let him walk. Why did we do that? It wasn't because we didn't want to sign him or have room to sign him. We reportedly offered him a four-year deal averaging $5 million, more than any free agent back earned in 2014, because we thought that was what he was worth. When the Eagles offered him more, we refused to go above his value. So it wasn't the salary cap that prevented us from re-signing Murray, it was perceived value. That's what the Joneses work off, but then they use the cap as an excuse when they release or don't re-sign a player while saying that the cap doesn't really matter at other times.

Truth is that they could restructure contracts and sign/re-sign any player they want. Sure, it takes some juggling not just this year but down the line when you'll need more restructures to absorb dead money, but it's possible and what other teams also do every year when fans are amazed that they somehow are able to sign even more players.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Same. I’m trying to do this with Dlaw too. The problem is we always show our cards too early……
This office is the King of letting the world know what their plans are for the off season in December.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The duo of Diggs & Peters would give the Cowboys two ball hawking corners capable of leading the league in picks. Combined w/Parsons, Dallas would have a lethal combination of coverage AND pressure. Make it happen Jerry!

CWR

Reaction score
We'd get one year of Peter's and then have to decide how much to pay a 30 year old CB.

The other thing is where is Joseph in this equation...

I think Id rather keep Coop. It's not a terrible deal though. I don't know how much Peter's is still owed on his contract. We be out 6 million on Coop and then would Peter's contract bring us right back to break even?

Mannix

Reaction score
Cooper isn't going anywhere...Booger and Chuckles will panic and keep him....100% positive about this. They have no clue about bringing in new talent...easier to overpay your own.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We should trade everyone for someone else! Or have we done that already?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Personally, I like CBS that want to tackle and force the run, and Dallas already have that in Brown, Lewis n Joseph...for a team with a soft reputation adding Peters at CB would make them softer. Take the 3rd and a different player.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This trade blows. Peters would make us a shutdown defense but getting rid of Cooper shuts down the offense.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953746-nfl-trade-packages-to-create-the-next-great-defenses

I take this and run with it. Peters and a 3rd? Peters can be a headache but with he and Diggs you’re getting 16 ints per season right there on average. I’ve said that Diggs reminds me of Peters without the drama of course.

what do you think?
You have a no neck LB, had a one leg LB, and now you want a one leg CB. Pass.

How many times I had to post that Amari Cooper had +90 receptions, +1100 yds, and 5 TDs for the Cowboys without anyone named Dak Prescott at QB in 2020. Cooper is not the problem. The offensive genius that took him out the passing game as the no.1 WR is the problem.

Do you remember Chan Gailey's famous line..."we are going to use Michael Irvin as a decoy". How did that work for his coaching career?

Aven8

Reaction score
You have a no neck LB, had a one leg LB, and now you want a one leg CB. Pass.

How many times I had to post that Amari Cooper had +90 receptions, +1100 yds, and 5 TDs for the Cowboys without anyone named Dak Prescott at QB in 2020. Cooper is not the problem. The offensive genius that took him out the passing game as the no.1 WR is the problem.

Do you remember Chan Gailey's famous line..."we are going to use Michael Irvin as a decoy". How did that work for his coaching career?

Wasn’t my idea, but if they’re letting Coop go at least get something in return. My bet is we get nothing for Dlaw or Coop and just eat the money. Stephen isn’t very good at this stuff

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Same. I’m trying to do this with Dlaw too. The problem is we always show our cards too early……

its due to the overrated contracts, the Joneses pay handsomely for past performance and ballooning up terms which no team in right mind would take on for a declining player. Thats why we have not been able to trade those.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Show me a possible pass rusher trade instead. I have faith in our young second corner, but I doubt we will keep Tank and Gregory together.