Trade Scenario: Dak and Gallup to the Jets

RodeoJake

Reaction score
It's mystifying how many want to replace Connor Williams. Is being the 13th rated guard in the NFL this season not good enough? Do we have to have pro bowlers/all pros across the oline?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One hitch in that is that Prescott has to agree to the trade and terms with the Jets. Forget Williams and take Darnold off their hands. Then the Cowboys have a bridge or future QB. The guy just has too much talent to be as bad as he is in NY.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rams made this deal because they think they are close and they know they need a championship to help them financially. The Jets are not close, they don't have the same financial issues going on. I'm not saying that a deal can't be made but, it won't be like we saw with the Rams IMO.
I don't think it's financially as much as relevancy in LA with the new palace. Kronke married a Walton and she has more money than any man in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's mystifying how many want to replace Connor Williams. Is being the 13th rated guard in the NFL this season not good enough? Do we have to have pro bowlers/all pros across the oline?
I saw a lot more 30th in him than 13th and he got pushed around too much. He could have given backpedal lessons to the DB's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One hitch in that is that Prescott has to agree to the trade and terms with the Jets. Forget Williams and take Darnold off their hands. Then the Cowboys have a bridge or future QB. The guy just has too much talent to be as bad as he is in NY.
Darnold's damaged goods. One thing I've realized about the NFL....you can't salvage these guys. Those 1st overall picks that go to a bad organization? Seems like its tough for them to ever develop even in a new place. Probably has to do with learning a new offense, new playbook, new coaches......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Man there are 3 positions that fans just have no idea how to evaluate. Corner, offensive linemen and quarterback. I don't know why that is....especially on this site. You will find some of the most mind boggling criticisms of guys. To this day I don't understand the hate Conner gets.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
The Texans want 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and 2 defensive starters for Watson.

Stafford turns 33 on February 7th. He just got traded for 2 first rounders, a third round pick, and Goff.

Dak is 27 years old and is probably the 10th best QB in the NFL. Gallup is a stud but only has 1 year left on his rookie contract.

The Deal: Cowboys receive the 2nd overall pick, the 23rd overall pick, and Quinnen Williams for Dak and Gallup.

The Cowboys can select Wilson or Fields with the 2nd pick. Maybe use the 10th pick on OT Rashawn Slater since Tyron Smith is injury prone. Slater can start out at LG. Then use the 23rd pick on CB Jaycee Horn.
People have been debating where Dak ranks, is he top 5? Top 15? Just an average QB? Ok but not great? Above average? I love how you have him as EXACTLY the 10th best QB. You get a like for making me laugh.
:laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man there are 3 positions that fans just have no idea how to evaluate. Corner, offensive linemen and quarterback. I don't know why that is....especially on this site. You will find some of the most mind boggling criticisms of guys. To this day I don't understand the hate Conner gets.
He's a Horn.

He struggled a lot as a rookie and the fanbase here is used to a RG going All Pro in his rookie season. Williams was the weakest link in a very good chain and that made him seem worse to some.

I don't think some of these folks were around back in the day when a rookie OL wouldn't see the field except for an injury. There was always this stable of OL and we got to watch them rise through the ranks and take their spot but they had to put the time in to earn it. Most of those coaches, including Landry, didn't like playing rookie OL.

Williams was a project pick. He was a light OT in the Big 12 and was picked to be an OG in the NFL. That takes time but he does get manhandled too much by the better interior DL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What would you ask for? An additional 2022 1st round pick too?
depends on the team. if the team was mid level and with dak they would improve and the pick was in the 20s, then it may not be worth it. just look at houston, they are asking for 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rd and players.....if you trade your QB, then you are now chasing a position that's hard to fill. 2 first is not enough. picks in the future are worth less than a 1st round pick this year.....I would want something similar to houston. because we would be going on a journey with no gaurantees....and that should cost any team a lot.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Horm might not make it to pick 23 and I would only do that trade if I was guarantee to get Lawrence. In my opinion, Dak is better than any qb coming out now except maybe Lawrence.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Yes we do apparently. You know fans would rather see an unproven guy get a shot because of potential upside/ underdog story mentality rather than someone who has graded better but still average.

fivetwos

Reaction score
As ridiculous as this deal sounds, this is a better deal for the Jets than what they would eventually end up paying for Watson.

They really need to take a QB at 2 and keep those picks and players.

Otherwise your QB is way too out in front of the rest of the team.

Guess maybe there pressure to sell tickets or win right away.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Texans want 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and 2 defensive starters for Watson.

Stafford turns 33 on February 7th. He just got traded for 2 first rounders, a third round pick, and Goff.

Dak is 27 years old and is probably the 10th best QB in the NFL. Gallup is a stud but only has 1 year left on his rookie contract.

The Deal: Cowboys receive the 2nd overall pick, the 23rd overall pick, and Quinnen Williams for Dak and Gallup.

The Cowboys can select Wilson or Fields with the 2nd pick. Maybe use the 10th pick on OT Rashawn Slater since Tyron Smith is injury prone. Slater can start out at LG. Then use the 23rd pick on CB Jaycee Horn.
This isn't Madden. The Cowboys aren't trading Dak. Get over it.