Trade Scenario: Dak and Gallup to the Jets

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
obviously this is all speculation at this point because the official stance is that they won't trade him for now.....this is from john mcclain who some think has good insight into the organization.

That's even worse draft compensation than the 2 1st rounders @phildadon86 said. They want 2 young defensive players? Good luck because everyone wants that lol. Cowboys sure as hell don't have it.

lk8701

Reaction score
Rule #1 in football: Never draft an Ohio State QB

Why you ask? They are surrounded by 5 star recruits and play far inferior teams & generally get their doors blown off when they play teams with as much talent. Can you even name 2 Ohio state QB’s that were actually good in the NFL? If I’m trading Dak, I’d want at least 4 or 5 first round picks from the Jets

Cool. Draft Wilson. Steve Young was from BYU.

lk8701

Reaction score
It's mystifying how many want to replace Connor Williams. Is being the 13th rated guard in the NFL this season not good enough? Do we have to have pro bowlers/all pros across the oline?

No. It's mainly insurance for Tyron Smith's injuries. If I'm drafting a rookie QB with the 2nd pick I want to make sure he is protected. QB, LT, and pass rusher are the top 3 most important positions in football. Securing 2 of 3 spots long term would be prudent.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Yes we do apparently. You know fans would rather see an unproven guy get a shot because of potential upside/ underdog story mentality rather than someone who has graded better but still average.

I don't know how accurate those rankings are, but 13th out of every guard with enough qualifying snaps seems like well above average to me. Sure he had some bad plays. Still, he's decent enough.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think it's financially as much as relevancy in LA with the new palace. Kronke married a Walton and she has more money than any man in the NFL.

Well, I don't know what the context is you are referring to, in terms of "relevancy" but I can tell you this. That Stadium has already been delayed a year by heavy rains and bad weather. They now face issues around Covid. 5 Billion dollar price tag to build it and all the while, the bills are still coming due. Walton didn't become as rich as they are by not making money on money they spend. Doesn't matter how much money she has. What matters is that they need to turn that stadium into a revenue center and not a cost center. That's what matters to them and in order to do that, they need splash. I believe that is driving this decision a great deal.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't know how accurate those rankings are, but 13th out of every guard with enough qualifying snaps seems like well above average to me. Sure he had some bad plays. Still, he's decent enough.

I kinda question 13th but if he is ranked that high i don't want to see McGovern unless martin is forced to kickout to tackle again. I remember pff had him above McGovern yet still people wanted McGovern cause he's new with upside possibly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL....... No, he's not "Briscoe".

So, I meant to edit this but lost my connectivity and so, by the time I got back, couldn't edit.

Anyhow, there is no Robbie Briscoe. There was a Robbie Boscoe and Wilson is not Boscoe. Wilson could be the best QB in this entire draft if he goes to the right situation. If he goes to, say the Jets, he'll crash and burn IMO but so would anybody else. But if he goes to a team that has the right coach, runs the right system and builds a decent team, Wilson could win you championships IMO.

So much depends on the right situation.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's a Horn.

He struggled a lot as a rookie and the fanbase here is used to a RG going All Pro in his rookie season. Williams was the weakest link in a very good chain and that made him seem worse to some.

I don't think some of these folks were around back in the day when a rookie OL wouldn't see the field except for an injury. There was always this stable of OL and we got to watch them rise through the ranks and take their spot but they had to put the time in to earn it. Most of those coaches, including Landry, didn't like playing rookie OL.

Williams was a project pick. He was a light OT in the Big 12 and was picked to be an OG in the NFL. That takes time but he does get manhandled too much by the better interior DL.
Understood. But knowing he was a project, knowing he was considered "weak" strength wise.....he's where he needs to be. He will be even be better next season.

lk8701

Reaction score
Nevermind on Slater. I didn't know he was only 6'3". I wouldn't mind another CB like Farley. We would have 3 big, athletic CBs: Farley, Horn, and Diggs. Ideal for the Seattle style scheme. Maybe sign Safety Justin Simmons, DE Yannick Ngakoue, and Joe Thuney for his o-line versatility.

Last edited:

lk8701

Reaction score
Maybe add DT Dalvin Tomlinson too. That's the beauty of a QB on a rookie contract! The defense would be completely fixed if better scheme/coaching can improve LVE and Jaylon Smith.

lk8701

Reaction score

People are underrating Quinnen Williams. I think he will be an all pro next season. This defense is possible with this trade and free agent signings:

Dline: D Law, Williams (trade), Tomlinson (free agent), and Ngakoue (free agent) + Gregory (key reserve)
LBs: Jaylon and LVE
Secondary: Farley (draft), Horn (draft), Diggs, Wilson, and Simmons (free agent)

+ depth/backups