Trade Talk From The Ringer

EST_1986

Reaction score
I can’t disagree but I think the 2 sides will work very hard and maybe Jaylon bends slightly because our organization took the chance on him. LVE is another story..
The day Emmitt was cut scarred me for life. Don't trust any NFL teams loyalty to players

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
There is no way we trade Collins or Jones... they would leave massive holes in our roster. While we may not be able to sign both long-term, we get the benefit of their best efforts in their contract years since they are looking to cash in.

Both guys lock down key spots— and this franchise has proven to be quite conservative in terms of free agency and trades. Cooper is the biggest move they have made in years— don’t see them getting aggressive at this point— especially considering how often they reference how pleased they are with this roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything can change over the course of training camp. If players appear ready to step up, its not hard for me to imagine both Jones & Collins getting dealt. If you get good compensation and the 2019 season doesn't suffer, you've hit a home run. When teams realize they are short at a position heading into a season, you have the potential to get maximum compensation.

Having said that, its entirely plausible both play 2019 with a star on their helmet.

I'd be interested to hear what "maximum compensation" would be?

In my opinion, if both guys are set up for big contracts, you could be looking at 2021 3rd round comp picks for either or both.

So exactly what would you have to get in 2019 to get you to do without either or both players for this year? Especially if you think you have a championship contender?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Karl Joseph, especially at a low cost.

It's going to ruin a lot of Fan Boys world view when/if we ever slap a real safety back there with this current Front 7.

I do too, but how much do you give up for him, when he's on the same one year deal as your own guys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm ok with letting La'el walk. Especially for compensation..

He's a good player but we lost Ron Leary because of him who was significantly better at guard and La'el has been ok at tackle.

Just draft another one or see what Connor Williams has.

"Compensation" sounds pretty vague.

Byron Jones would be a big loss though I think but if we have salary cap issues then i'm fine with constantly drafting corner because I feel like it's an overpriced position so you should just constantly draft these guys and pay them rookie money and then let them walk if they want 15 mill a year.

I don't think he has much if any value right now. The rest of the league is well aware of the hip surgery and the question about whether or not he'll even be ready for week one.

J-man

Reaction score
Jaylon isn't going anywhere. You just don't trade superstar LB's.
Byron is too valuable, it would take a serious amount to let him go.
Collins is the only one I could see them trading. And that's only because they know they're going to lose him after this year. If they can get a good trade I could see it, otherwise, they'll just wait for the comp pick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what "maximum compensation" would be?

In my opinion, if both guys are set up for big contracts, you could be looking at 2021 3rd round comp picks for either or both.

So exactly what would you have to get in 2019 to get you to do without either or both players for this year? Especially if you think you have a championship contender?

I don't have an exact compensation in mind. Just that every year there are guys traded for more than what popular opinion (even the talking heads) think is possible. ie, we gave what appeared to be a high first for Cooper when popular opinion was that a 2nd was the max.

If another team believes they are a contender with a glaring need, they too can justify going toward the higher end of trade value to solidify their team.

I'm not advocating that we let either go. Just saying if organization feels other players can get the job done at less cost while providing a future return they will probably roll those dice.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have an exact compensation in mind. Just that every year there are guys traded for more than what popular opinion (even the talking heads) think is possible. ie, we gave what appeared to be a high first for Cooper when popular opinion was that a 2nd was the max.

If another team believes they are a contender with a glaring need, they too can justify going toward the higher end of trade value to solidify their team.

I'm not advocating that we let either go. Just saying if organization feels other players can get the job done at less cost while providing a future return they will probably roll those dice.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to clarify it.

But I just can't see it happening with either guy, especially if the organization feels this team is a contender. You can have the players to make a run this year and have both players giving their best efforts in contract years and get two compensatory picks if you lose either one after this season.

I don't think it's possible that you would be offered sufficient compensation this year to part with them. I could see some lower ranked depth players being traded, but not two current starters.

DanA

Reaction score
I could see us trading for Joseph during the season but it's hard to see any scenario where its advantages to trade out Collins or Jones. Maybe if Collins went down injured and Williams/McGovern played lights out at RT/LG. Even then you'd arguably want the cover. Otherwise, the season would have to be a disaster and over before the trade deadline.

Sydla

Reaction score
Trading Collins would be ballsy but honestly, he's not good enough that he's a must have.............. especially if someone got a key OT injury and was desperate. Like who here wouldn't take a 2nd round pick for him if some team was crying for OT help (yeah, he wouldn't get a 2nd most likely, but I was just being extreme to make a point that he's not a must have on this team). Timing would be at play here. In other words, if this was late in August camp and you really had cross trained no one at OT, then you might be stuck. But let's say they have used Williams at OT in camp as well as OG and he was adequate at RT? Yeah, I'd make that trade.

Would I go after Joseph? Absolutely. But it's clear they like what they have with Heath and Iloka and the kid they drafted, Wilson. I think it would take a monumental collapse at the S position (like WR last year) for them to think about making a trade for a SS.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
"Compensation" sounds pretty vague.

I don't think he has much if any value right now. The rest of the league is well aware of the hip surgery and the question about whether or not he'll even be ready for week one.

What compensation would it take you to trade either Jones or Collins?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The idea thrown around the most so far if Collins was traded is to start Williams at RT and McGovern at LG

If this were to happen, even after shipping Collins out, your depth includes Looney, XSF, and Fleming. That's really good.

Reaction score
I don't see the team trading either Jones or Collins unless a potential playoff team gets hammered with injuries and are desperate enough to overpay.

I'm fine with letting Collins walk for a compensatory pick. Keep drafting o-lineman every year. As for Jones, lets see how he comes back from his injuries. Hip injuries take a long time to heal and can be lingering.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If you wanna have a team that could go on a super bowl run this upcoming season then you don’t trade either. See how they perform and go from there for next season.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I like Joseph because he is young. But he is a pure SS. Eric Berry is a much better play maker who can play at All Pro level FS or SS. But Berry is older and coming off injury.

But, both are way better than Heath. So as Deion Sanders told Jerry Jones..."Both".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What compensation would it take you to trade either Jones or Collins?

It would take a 1st rounder for me, and I realize that's ridiculous and won't happen. And that's why I expect both to remain Cowboys to make a run this year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It would take a 1st rounder for me, and I realize that's ridiculous and won't happen. And that's why I expect both to remain Cowboys to make a run this year.
A 1st for Byron isn't all that ridiculous, but I'd take less than 1st for Collins.

A 3rd(from a team I think will draft early) and a young player to help this season.