Trade Talk From The Ringer

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 1st for Byron isn't all that ridiculous, but I'd take less than 1st for Collins.

It is for a guy who had zero interceptions last year and is now coming off of hip surgery.

A 3rd(from a team I think will draft early) and a young player to help this season.

No thanks. I'm not trading away my current starter for a 3rd round pic when I'll get that same 3rd round pick two years from now and have Collins for a run in 2019.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It is for a guy who had zero interceptions last year and is now coming off of hip surgery.

No thanks. I'm not trading away my current starter for a 3rd round pic when I'll get that same 3rd round pick two years from now and have Collins for a run in 2019.

1) higher 3rd by almost a full round and two years earlier
2) a young player on a rookie contract acquired
3) solid depth at the position you're trading
4) $8M of additional CAP space for either a mid season trade, carry over to next offseason, or extension help

Sounds way better than a comp, only if Collins isnt the missing piece to a SB

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1) higher 3rd by almost a full round and two years earlier
2) a young player on a rookie contract acquired
3) solid depth at the position you're trading
4) $8M of additional CAP space for either a mid season trade, carry over to next offseason, or extension help

Sounds way better than a comp, only if Collins isnt the missing piece to a SB

I disagree.
  1. I don't have my starting right tackle for a potential Super Bowl run.
  2. "A young player"? An undrafted rookie is "a young player". I'm not trading away a starter for that.
  3. What's "solid depth"?
  4. I don't need the cap space. I need a starting right tackle.
Contenders don't trade away their starters.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I disagree.
  1. I don't have my starting right tackle for a potential Super Bowl run.
  2. "A young player"? An undrafted rookie is "a young player". I'm not trading away a starter for that.
  3. What's "solid depth"?
  4. I don't need the cap space. I need a starting right tackle.
Contenders don't trade away their starters.

I'm obviously not referring to an UDFA. Karl Jospeh is a good example
Fleming who arguably played as well as Collins in spot minutes last year, as well as McGivern, Looney, and XSF. Best depth in the league along Oline
You always need CAP space

I guess all contenders except the Patriots, Browns, Steelers, Eagles, Seahwaks, Chiefs, Bears, etc.

RS12

Reaction score
Only thing that can sink the season almost as fast as bad QB play, is bad O Line play. If somebody blows them away with an offer for Collins then OK. Otherwise keep the O Line depth. Williams has a lot to prove and McGregor hasnt played a snap yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm obviously not referring to an UDFA. Karl Jospeh is a good example
I'll gladly give them Su'a Filo for him.

Fleming who arguably played as well as Collins in spot minutes last year, as well as McGivern, Looney, and XSF. Best depth in the league along Oline

A career backup and a collection of guards and centers. But sure, trade away your starting right tackle.

I guess all contenders except the Patriots, Browns, Steelers, Eagles, Seahwaks, Chiefs, Bears, etc.

You'd have to let me know specifically which of them traded away their starting right tackle before winning the Super Bowl.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why would you trade your number 1 cornerback right before the season starts?

Because you may not be able to resign him as a FA after this year.

If some team was desperate and gave you a 1st or 2nd round pick for him in August.............. you'd have to consider it. Because at best, he's only getting you a 3rd round pick in the form of a comp pick a year later.

Roseman kind of did a similar thing in 2016. He unloaded his starting QB a few weeks before the season given Minnesota got desperate and gave him a high round pick. The plan was to let Bradford play and Wentz learn for a season but because Minnesota was so desperate, the value had to be taken in that situation.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I'll gladly give them Su'a Filo for him.

A career backup and a collection of guards and centers. But sure, trade away your starting right tackle.

You'd have to let me know specifically which of them traded away their starting right tackle before winning the Super Bowl.

You said contenders don't trade starters, don't move the goal posts distrastically lol

This offseason alone the Bears, Steelersx2, Brownsx2, Eagles, Seahawks, Chiefs, and Bears ALL traded away projected starters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You said contenders don't trade starters, don't move the goal posts distrastically lol

This offseason alone the Bears, Steelersx2, Brownsx2, Eagles, Seahawks, Chiefs, and Bears ALL traded away projected starters.

And NONE of them have won the Super Bowl this year, have they?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just say you were WRONG lol. That's literally all it takes.

Way better than replies like this, which you are fully aware is beyond weak.

What exactly am I "wrong" about? Disagreeing with you?

Then I'm guilty. I think your plan sucks.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What exactly am I "wrong" about? Disagreeing with you?

Then I'm guilty. I think your plan sucks.

No, it was pretty obvious, but yet again you change it up.

Say you were wrong in your claim that contenders don't trade away starters.

And your plan, assuming we have a 3% chance of winning SB, sets up the team much worse, and sucks worse.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it was pretty obvious, but yet again you change it up.

Say you were wrong in your claim that contenders don't trade away starters.

As soon as you tell me about all of these "starters" these teams have traded away?

And your plan, assuming we have a 3% chance of winning SB, sets up the team much worse, and sucks worse.

Whatever. Cry more about it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
As soon as you tell me about all of these "starters" these teams have traded away?

Whatever. Cry more about it.

Lol you're the one getting defensive and crying. No reason to get so up tight

You don't know what's happened around the NFL? Then I wouldn't make blanket statements regarding the NFL.

Bears traded away starting RB Howard
Eagles traded away starting DE Bennett
Steelers traded away starting WR and RT Brown and Gilbert
Browns traded away starting LG and SS Zietler and Peppers
Seahawks traded away starting DE Clark
Chiefs traded away starting DE Ford
Patriots trade away staryers every year. Traded away starter Brandin Cooks last year then went on to win the Super Bowl lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol you're the one getting defensive and crying. No reason to get so up tight

You don't know what's happened around the NFL? Then I wouldn't make blanket statements regarding the NFL.

Bears traded away starting RB Howard
Eagles traded away starting DE Bennett
Steelers traded away starting WR and RT Brown and Gilbert
Browns traded away starting LG and SS Zietler and Peppers
Seahawks traded away starting DE Clark
Chiefs traded away starting DE Ford
Patriots trade away staryers every year. Traded away starter Brandin Cooks last year then went on to win the Super Bowl lol.

Ok. Good point conceded. But it’s not something I would do.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Because you may not be able to resign him as a FA after this year.

If some team was desperate and gave you a 1st or 2nd round pick for him in August.............. you'd have to consider it. Because at best, he's only getting you a 3rd round pick in the form of a comp pick a year later.

Roseman kind of did a similar thing in 2016. He unloaded his starting QB a few weeks before the season given Minnesota got desperate and gave him a high round pick. The plan was to let Bradford play and Wentz learn for a season but because Minnesota was so desperate, the value had to be taken in that situation.

We unloaded are starting QB because we just spent the second overall pick on his backup and we were going nowhere with Bradford anyway.

What if you go into into week 1 and Sterling Sheppard just torches you. You scramble to move around your DBs to fix the issue and never get it quite right over the course of the season.

Is a lost season worth a 2nd rounder when you would have gotten a 3rd in compensation the next year anyway? Why aren’t we talking about trading every player if ‘Super Bowl or Bust’ is suddenly no longer in the cards?

Call it hyperbole, but you are absolutely better with Byron than without him. And no draft pick is worth possibly destroying whatever hope you currently have.