Trade up - Okudah

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
None of that makes sense.

Odukah is not falling outside the top 6. Teams at that area would want a fortune with QB being the position targeted at 5/6 area.

DAL conducted a virtual interview with him that likely didn't count against their total because Odukah is a Dallas kid. (Presuming Dallas Day kids are still free INT)

JBS

Reaction score
None of that makes sense.

Odukah is not falling outside the top 6. Teams at that area would want a fortune with QB being the position targeted at 5/6 area.

DAL conducted a virtual interview with him that likely didn't count against their total because Odukah is a Dallas kid. (Presuming Dallas Day kids are still free INT)

They're all free right now...at 6, both qbs are gone. Tua goes 3, Herbert goes 5. Okudah at 6, presumably at a discounted price if you want to move up

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
No way in hell. Trade back if anything. Seems like a deep enough draft for DBs and WRs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They're all free right now...at 6, both qbs are gone. Tua goes 3, Herbert goes 5. Okudah at 6, presumably at a discounted price if you want to move up
I have the Chargers in the Mock Draft we do on site here. I promise you they aren't trading down at a big discount, lol.

They would likely target Herbert but if he falls they can take Simmons, the top WR or Odukah himself or the top OT.
If they do wanna fall a bit and take Love they aren't falling to 17 for the chump change DAL has in this draft.

You ready to give up 17, 51, R4 plus next year's 1st? I'm not.
The chart math says it's take the entire draft this year....
Not gonna happen.

I love Odukah more than anyone and thought it was we couldn't keep him in state for college but even if the unlikely happens and he falls to to say 7 or 8 DAL doesn't have the horses to go up. --Unless you are one of the clinically depressed folks arguing trade Dak.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Going from 17 to 6 would definitely involve next years first, and probably 51. Youd need something else as well.

Maybe 51, Gallup and a 3rd next year gets it done but probably not.

The one thing missing is that Detroit probably wants Okudah themselves.

JBS

Reaction score
I have the Chargers in the Mock Draft we do on site here. I promise you they aren't trading down at a big discount, lol.

They would likely target Herbert but if he falls they can take Simmons, the top WR or Odukah himself or the top OT.
If they do wanna fall a bit and take Love they aren't falling to 17 for the chump change DAL has in this draft.

You ready to give up 17, 51, R4 plus next year's 1st? I'm not.
The chart math says it's take the entire draft this year....
Not gonna happen.

I love Odukah more than anyone and thought it was we couldn't keep him in state for college but even if the unlikely happens and he falls to to say 7 or 8 DAL doesn't have the horses to go up. --Unless you are one of the clinically depressed folks arguing trade Dak.

The idea is chargers move up to 3. Lions falls to 6 and trade down again to 17.

JBS

Reaction score
You guys are way over valuing what a trade up would cost

Pitt went from 20 to 10 for a 2 and a future 3

Of course going up to 6 would cost more. But not what you guys are projecting

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The idea is chargers move up to 3. Lions falls to 6 and trade down again to 17.
Lions just lost Slay and CB1 is a major need with Trufant a stop gap.
JO plays his college ball hours away from Detroit.
Most predict JO to DET at 3.. much less 6.

You just aren't being honest with yourself about what it would cost to go up that high.

And even if miraculously you got the Steeler's-like robbery of 17, 51, next year's 3 for pick 6 that's tough to do given how badly DAL needs depth and NFL bodies.
This is a top heavy roster that needs lots of cheap quality depth.

Giving up 3 top 100 picks is not in the cards.

I suspect if DAL felt CB was this key and yet tough to acquire they'd had resigned BJ31.
They likely both liked their depth but also this draft's depth at CB.

The far more likely move is a trade down ~5-8 picks to select a CB a like Trevon Diggs if they don't like options at 17.

JBS

Reaction score
Lions just lost Slay and CB1 is a major need with Trufant a stop gap.
JO plays his college ball hours away from Detroit.
Most predict JO to DET at 3.. much less 6.

You just aren't being honest with yourself about what it would cost to go up that high.

And even if miraculously you got the Steeler's-like robbery of 17, 51, next year's 3 for pick 6 that's tough to do given how badly DAL needs depth and NFL bodies.
This is a top heavy roster that needs lots of cheap quality depth.

Giving up 3 top 100 picks is not in the cards.

I suspect if DAL felt CB was this key and yet tough to acquire they'd had resigned BJ31.
They likely both liked their depth but also this draft's depth at CB.

The far more likely move is a trade down ~5-8 picks to select a CB a like Trevon Diggs if they don't like options at 17.

Nowhere did I suggest moving up was likely. Just about everyone is predicting det to trade out of 3. It's well known they want more picks. Okudah will not go third.

Trading slay and drafting Okudah is a net negative. What good did that do for the lions? Nothing. They will trade down.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A few interesting pieces of information here

1. The Cowboys conducted a virtual interview with Okudah yesterday.

2. The lions have made it clear they are interested in trading down to accumulate picks.

3. If somebody comes up to 3 for a QB, Okudah will definitely be available at 5 or 6. Neither the Giants nor the Dolphins will draft Okudah. So pending on who Det trades with initially (Mia or LAC) that's the spot to jump up to to potentially get Okudah. Obviously this means Det would be trading down again.

4. Lastly, many teams want to stockpile and accumulate picks for T. Lawrence next year. Also, multiple people are reporting that moving up this year is probably going to be cheaper than most years because of the level of uncertainty. Maybe the lions are one of those teams. It would make some sense, there were rumors earlier this off-season that they were finished w Stafford.

It's definitely far fetched. It's probably not going to happen. My question to the board is what is the maximum you would offer to move up from 17 to 5/6, specifically for Okudah? It doesn't have to be picks this year, it also doesn't have to be picks next year..you also don't have to want to move up for Okudah at all. But if you could get the trade done at a little bit of a discount, what does that trade look like for you?
You do realize that it would cost us our entire draft.
Right?

Honest question. Just making sure you realize that.
It'd cost all of this year's draft (maybe they let us keep a 6th or 7th) plus next year's 2nd or 3rd rounder.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Nowhere did I suggest moving up was likely. Just about everyone is predicting det to trade out of 3. It's well known they want more picks. Okudah will not go third.

Trading slay and drafting Okudah is a net negative. What good did that do for the lions? Nothing. They will trade down.
I agree that te Lions should trade down. Great value in the 3 slot...worth a fortune.
They could drop to 5 or 6 and still get Okudah assuming whoever trades up is getting a QB

JBS

Reaction score
You do realize that it would cost us our entire draft.
Right?

Honest question. Just making sure you realize that.
It'd cost all of this year's draft (maybe they let us keep a 6th or 7th) plus next year's 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I'm willing to bet 17, 51, and a future 2 gets the deal done.

Whether or not we want to pay that price is a completely different story

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet 17, 51, and a future 2 gets the deal done.

Whether or not we want to pay that price is a completely different story
That could get us to 6, I agree.
Obviously, I would no-way-in-hell do that, :laugh:
but I think that's in the ballpark cost-wise.
Either our whole 2020 draft and a 2021 3rd or Our 1st and 2nd in 2020 plus a 2nd in 2021.

Whew. Maybe for Chase Young. Maybe.

JBS

Reaction score
That could get us to 6, I agree.
Obviously, I would no-way-in-hell do that, :laugh:
but I think that's in the ballpark cost-wise.
Either our whole 2020 draft and a 2021 3rd or Our 1st and 2nd in 2020 plus a 2nd in 2021.

Whew. Maybe for Chase Young. Maybe.

If you have Okudah ranked as the third best player in the entire class, as many do..and you can get him for the true cost of 7 or 8 overall...it might be worth considering

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you have Okudah ranked as the third best player in the entire class, as many do..and you can get him for the true cost of 7 or 8 overall...it might be worth considering
Not for this team it wouldn't.

Which is why you are alone on this island.