Trade Zeke

BackInTown

Reaction score
He’s a transcendent player at top form (which for him starts about game 5 or 6), and we don’t have an adequate replacement. I actually like the guy in a way, and feel like he’d be a cool friend. But part if what makes him seem like able is his extremely laid back, happy go lucky mentality, which just keeps getting him into trouble. It’s constant! He’s an elite athlete, no doubt, but he doesn’t have elite (perhaps not even average) focus, drive, or hunger for winning. He might not get suspended for this “faded” thing, but he is in the news for something mildly or severely negative all the time, the threat of suspension is constantly over him, he’s already been suspended—which hurt the team a lot— and I think he’s likely to be suspended again at some point for something. He’s also only getting older, and the only way to mitigate the pace of Father Time at his demanding position is to have elite conditioning and elite training... which by now he clearly is not interested in doing.

At RB, a cheaper player only one or two tiers below him could be found. McCarthy’s scheme will not truly need or utilize his strengths as a ground and pound player anyway. I think the trade return we get for him and the cap savings would add up to a net benefit over the talent drop off at RB, especially given the relatively low importance of this position in modern NFL. The biggest benefit to the team, however, would be in removing the chaos, disruptions, and reliance on an unreliable player who’s out of shape for a quarter of the season even when he’s not suspended or potentially suspended.

BackInTown

Reaction score
To much money and trouble. Just stop. He ain’t going anywhere for 2 years. Unless he gets suspended. Then we don’t even have a good RB.

Exactly my point... we can’t rely on him necessarily due to conditioning issues and off the field stuff makes it worse. He’s a heck of a player though when he gets going. I’m thinking that we could move him... not for a top 10 pick or even a first, but getting him out of here opens the road for a more dependable and affordable option.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He’s a transcendent player at top form (which for him starts about game 5 or 6), and we don’t have an adequate replacement. I actually like the guy in a way, and feel like he’d be a cool friend. But part if what makes him seem like able is his extremely laid back, happy go lucky mentality, which just keeps getting him into trouble. It’s constant! He’s an elite athlete, no doubt, but he doesn’t have elite (perhaps not even average) focus, drive, or hunger for winning. He might not get suspended for this “faded” thing, but he is in the news for something mildly or severely negative all the time, the threat of suspension is constantly over him, he’s already been suspended—which hurt the team a lot— and I think he’s likely to be suspended again at some point for something. He’s also only getting older, and the only way to mitigate the pace of Father Time at his demanding position is to have elite conditioning and elite training... which by now he clearly is not interested in doing.

At RB, a cheaper player only one or two tiers below him could be found. McCarthy’s scheme will not truly need or utilize his strengths as a ground and pound player anyway. I think the trade return we get for him and the cap savings would add up to a net benefit over the talent drop off at RB, especially given the relatively low importance of this position in modern NFL. The biggest benefit to the team, however, would be in removing the chaos, disruptions, and reliance on an unreliable player who’s out of shape for a quarter of the season even when he’s not suspended or potentially suspended.

This argument would be better if it was factually accurate and lacked baseless assumptions. :muttley:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly my point... we can’t rely on him necessarily due to conditioning issues and off the field stuff makes it worse. He’s a heck of a player though when he gets going. I’m thinking that we could move him... not for a top 10 pick or even a first, but getting him out of here opens the road for a more dependable and affordable option.
To much on the cap this year. But if he stays in trouble and comes in out of shape again then maybe next year if Pollard improves.

Lets not forget the whole meat on the bone guy randal. He was supposed to take over for murray. Once it came down to it he wasn’t as good as we thought. I want to make sure Pollard can go at a certain level all year. And I am still still mad about his fumble in the egirls game last year. That really finished our hopes.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the Cowboys get money back if Zeke gets suspended again. They can't afford to trade him because it's too much dead money. The best they can do is make sure they have 2-3 solid running backs in case he is suspended.

BackInTown

Reaction score
Pollard cant take the load

this is true, though we have some decent dudes
He’s worth way more to us than what we would get in return.
I honestly agree with you on a certain level, and I know this idea is provocative, but I think what is missing from the equation is the reliability aspect. He’s a constant threat to get Roger Goodaled again, he’s out of shape much of the season and even at his peak he taps out a lot, which undermines the value of a ground and pound, game closer that he could be, and he plays the most replaceable, scheme-aroundaboe position on the field, so we don’t have to rely on him... we chose to. The reason a team would make that trade, however, is that he would be, at his best, better than what we’d get in return... (unless you include the reliability issues).